Question on rim offset

Vega

Turbocharged

sorry if i post in the wrong folder.

my stock rim offset is +41. the rim i am eyeing is +30. what is the consequences if i go for this rim? what can i do to overcome the potential problems?

thanks.

↡ Advertisement

sorry if i post in the wrong folder.

my stock rim offset is +41. the rim i am eyeing is +30. what is the consequences if i go for this rim? what can i do to overcome the potential problems?

thanks.

What is the width of your current wheel and the width of the wheel you're eyeing?

Turbocharged

What is the width of your current wheel and the width of the wheel you're eyeing?

my current wheel size is 8J x 18". tyre size is 235/40/R18

i am eyeing for another 18"

my understanding is that if your default offset is 41mm and you change to 30mm, your rims will protrude by approx 11mm from its current position. a wrong offset may also have some adverse effect on the handling.

my current wheel size is 8J x 18". tyre size is 235/40/R18

i am eyeing for another 18"

Not knowing your original wheel width and offset (i can't think of many cars that come with 18's standard), or the width of the wheel you're targeting its a little hard. In a worst case scenario assuming the wheels you're targeting are the same width as your present set, your suspension geometry gets screwed, your inside wheel arch (and/or suspension) rubs against your tyre, and your suspension ball-joints + wheel bearings will die quicker.

Edited by Elfenstar

my current rim is the stock Scirocco Interlagos rim. the one i am eyeing is Dotz Hanoz. http://www.dotz-wheels.co.uk/DOTZ_hanzo.htm

I'm an idiot. I calculated wrongly earlier. I'll assume you're getting the 18x8.5 sized wheels. You may be rubbing on the outside with a 30 offset. Though I think it unlikely.

Your wheels will be pushed outwards 5mm on the inside and 17mm on the outside. I'm sure you're going to get some if not more negative camber, and your wheel bearings and ball joints will have a lil more stress on them (more leverage on the outside of your wheels). I'm not too sure about how much this will affect the longevity of the parts. But I'm sure you'll find her/him better around the corners

P.S. I think that in a scenario where the outside is rubbing, just rolling the inside of the fenders should sort you out as 17mm isn't much in clearance difference.

Edited by Elfenstar

Hi All

Digging up this old thread so that don't kana scold by mod.

My current wheel setup:

Rim: 17x6.5jj, +38

Tyres: 215/60/17

My intended wheel setup:

Rim: 18x8.5jj, +35

Tyres: 235/50/18

My conundrum is: based on RIM calculation my new rims will be pushed 28mm outwards. You can use app to calculate this or quite simply additional of 2" rim width (5cm) will distribute 1" outside & inside, i.e. 2.5cm at each side then with the reduction of 3mm offset, total rim outer surface "movement" is 28mm outwards from existing setup.

However based on TYRE calculation, additional 20mm width (215 to 235) will place 10mm on each side of the tyre and with the 3mm offset, the outer surface of my TYRE will "move" outwards only by 13mm.

So which is the actual situation? 28mm or 13mm. It's a big difference to me. 28mm would be too much for me.

I am thinking that since it is the tyre that will rub the fender and not the rim, it seems like the rim movement is less important and it is the tyre movement that is what i should consider (in which case i am good to go).

Can anyone help?

↡ Advertisement