Exercising without a gym

Sofarsogood

I've tried your diet and i know how it works and i'm totally supportive of it....

however, i also see why it can fail with people like me....we're simply not brought up to eat like this, and we have our own individual weaknesses...like how i can't give up my 6 beer a day habit.....

It aint easy....so for those who can't do it, i guess relentless exercise is the way to go...luckily i love exercise, or else surely become a mega fattie by now LOL

I totally understand. Most people when they hear how I lost my 30kg say they will never be able to give up rice.

It's not for everyone. But biochemically speaking, it's the way to good health. Weight loss just tags along for the ride.

↡ Advertisement

Topgun, for you, I'm going to go out on a limb and post pics of myself.

It's not to show off or anything like that. I'm just trying to illustrate what most people think is impossible eating a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet.

In Dec 2008, when I was eating a high carb (lots of "healthy" whole grains, cereals, brown rice, wholemeal bread...etc), low fat (everything must be low/zero fat, cut away the fatty parts of meat), moderate protein diet and being an avid cyclist for many years:

CBSDec2008.jpg

I took this picture minutes ago with my iphone, after coming back from a short run, 1 year after eating high fat (everything must be full fat, plus lots of butter, cream, beef fat, chicken skin, coconut cream...etc), low carb (only veges and berries) and moderate protein, and doing just body weight exercises:

CBS9Jan2010.jpg

I do not have a perfect body by any means, but I am certainly healthy (measured by blood test and confirmed by my doctor) and feel great.

By the way, according to our health board, I am borderline overweight having s BMI of 21. Guess I have to eat more "healthy" whole grains...

By the way, according to our health board, I am borderline overweight having s BMI of 21. Guess I have to eat more "healthy" whole grains...

BMI index is meant for sedentary people, not athletic people....it's just a crap index...even when i was a school athlete in my teens, i was classified as "overweight" LOL

It's actually not the weight itself, but the amount of muscles u have and the general fitness level ;)

anyway, nice arms, but skinny legs, my personal opinion LOL

anyway, bro Chickenbackside, care to share how much money u spend on your diet? hehe

I'm estimating it's around $600 a month....that was what i spent when i was on the high protein diet....very expensive LOL

BMI index is meant for sedentary people, not athletic people....it's just a crap index...even when i was a school athlete in my teens, i was classified as "overweight" LOL

It's actually not the weight itself, but the amount of muscles u have and the general fitness level ;)

anyway, nice arms, but skinny legs, my personal opinion LOL

You are very right! I have skinny legs! But it's genetic. My whole family has skinny legs unfortunately, and not working out at the gym doesn't help me attain optimal sized legs. But that's not my concern. I just want to be functional.

Regarding the money spent on food, I don't really keep track, but $600 a month doesn't sound too far off. That's including eating out and I eat well when I eat out. Seldom hawker centre food.

But that's not my concern. I just want to be functional.

different strokes for different ppl i guess....for me it's damm sianz, whole family all chunky like weight-lifter type....don't wanna be thick also cannot....the prob is don't look good in photos....look like damm obese LOL

bro - a brock leshnar body is also damn impressive lor. keep up the beer!

lol man i like brock lesnar....yeah....i remember him....lol

different strokes for different ppl i guess....for me it's damm sianz, whole family all chunky like weight-lifter type....don't wanna be thick also cannot....the prob is don't look good in photos....look like damm obese LOL

Actually, your family sounds a lot better than mine. Before low carb, we were all chunky, except we didn't look like body builders. We all looked like the contestants in "The Biggest Loser" BEFORE they lost the weight.

But even then, out legs were still small in relation to our bodies.

But now, we don't look chunky in photos anymore. We just look like normal people with skinny legs, haha...

he only looks good without his clothes on, with a layer of oil, and flexing his muscles...

with his shirt on, i bet with u most people will just think he's obese lol

without his shirt on, and bending down to pick up a coin he dropped, all his muscles will be pulled by gravity and be mistaken for a beer belly LOL

i know because my bro's body is nearly like his....bicep thick like a thigh...but with shirt on, everyone thinks he's a fatty, haiz :(

Neutral Newbie

Topgun, for you, I'm going to go out on a limb and post pics of myself.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Your 'older' pic of course all covered up by clothes, however can still see the 'shape' [laugh] Ya, if not fat, at least I would say chubby [grin]

You latest photo, wow! Can see your biceps and arms pretty defined. But your legs look skinny leh. Hmmm...you need to work on the legs!

But thanks. For really posting pics of yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions on the foods and preparation. I actually love butter. But with french loaf or toast! And coconut milk. In my bubur hitam, curry anything, laksa, nyonya cakes! Now cannot eat anymore [bigcry]

OK, I'll soldier on. [drivingcar]

Wow! Wow! Wow! Your 'older' pic of course all covered up by clothes, however can still see the 'shape' [laugh] Ya, if not fat, at least I would say chubby [grin]

You latest photo, wow! Can see your biceps and arms pretty defined. But your legs look skinny leh. Hmmm...you need to work on the legs!

But thanks. For really posting pics of yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions on the foods and preparation. I actually love butter. But with french loaf or toast! And coconut milk. In my bubur hitam, curry anything, laksa, nyonya cakes! Now cannot eat anymore [bigcry]

OK, I'll soldier on. [drivingcar]

Yes yes, I know I have skinny legs. Just now already kena suan by Skunk liao.

But it's really genetic. My whole family got skinny legs. Even when I worked out in a gym in my late teens, I could never get my legs past a certain size. Now I don't even go to a gym, so worse!

But that's not the point of posting my own pics lah. I'm really not trying to say I have a good body or anything like that. I'm just trying to reassure you that eating lots of fat (provided you cut the carbs) won't make you fat.

Here's a picture of Dr Kurt Harris, one of the enlightened doctors that advocate a high fat, low carb diet, moderate protein diet. I don't think he looks fat despite eating 70% saturated fat diet:

IMG_0327-1.jpg

Here's what he eats: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/11...what-i-eat.html

Explore his blog. He is very compelling with his research/fact based articles.

just to side-track a little....i was on a beer diet for a while and lost a couple of kilos real quick....

1) Guiness Stout and a few groundnuts for breakfast

2) 3 cans of beer and a few peanuts for lunch

3) 2 cans of beer and a shot of whisky for dinner.

The result is that im basically semi-tipsy the whole day and i didn't have alot of appetite being groggy LOL

So all u fellow alcoholics out there desperate to lose a few kilos can try this, provided u don't end up in AA hahahaha

Neutral Newbie

...But that's not the point of posting my own pics lah. I'm really not trying to say I have a good body or anything like that. I'm just trying to reassure you that eating lots of fat (provided you cut the carbs) won't make you fat.

No, never meant you're showing off your bod. Really sincere thanks that you post a pic of yourself before and after. I was going to PM you in fact to ask to see some pics. [blush]

I think to convince my wife to cook with butter, and animal fats would be very tough. And to cook separately for me alone she's going to scream blue murder. As it is, dinner at home is a war, cos I have an almost invalid mother in law who doesn't take beef, a maid that's muslim but doesn't take anything spicy hot, 3 kids who also picky about food. And now me embarking on a low carb, high fats diet.

[sweatdrop]

hey chickenbackside,

just a question..

supposing we're on a non carb day.. and then lan lan have to go out for a family/company dinner(japanese style) which encompasses rice and all those other carbs..

would that suddenly throw the whole diet off balance since only sat and sun are the carb loading days?

thanks!

yeah its mainly what a person eats....how a person trains is important....but what a person eats is more important....

for example...if one does exercise alot....calories are needed....

its a like a ferrari.....if a car has alot of power...naturally more fuel will be needed....

or take a hyundai getz.....does not generate alot of power...so less fuel needed....

Edited by Ithunk
↡ Advertisement