Engine Oil Change - Vacuum or Drip Method?

Vinceng

The oil drain bolt is there for a reason.

The vacuum method is just for lazy mechanics, which personally I will avoid at all cost.

Think, when u want to shxt, do u use your butthole or you prefer to vacuum the shxt out from your mouth?

↡ Advertisement

The oil drain bolt is there for a reason.

The vacuum method is just for lazy mechanics, which personally I will avoid at all cost.

Think, when u want to shxt, do u use your butthole or you prefer to vacuum the shxt out from your mouth?

Some cars has no drain bolt at all.
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Some cars has no drain bolt at all.

Maya77, I watched a video produced by a Taiwanese before, he tested both drain and vacuum methods, the effect of both methods were similar. But he highlighted that there would still be residual being trapped in some areas in the engine block. So if you want it to be very clean, my guess is you will have to drain out engine oil once, pour in new oil, run the engine, drain out again. Edited by Ct3833

Thanks everyone. I ordered oil pump few days ago so my solution to try would be:

- Add LM Engine Flush to the oil

- Idle for 10 minutes

- Extract the oil using the pump

- Change the oil filter

- Pour fresh Castrol Edge 5w40

- Pour LM MoS2 anti-friction into new oil

- Drive the car for an hour or so...

I'll let you know about results...

• Praise 2

Supercharged

I use the vacuum extraction method, my vacuum pump can suck out 95% of the oil change capacity stated in my car's service manual

I never drain the oil from the drain bolt before so can't tell if it can drain out 100%, too much hassle as my car has two pieces of underguard covering the engine bay

actually even if you use the drain method given that we jack up the car using 2 jack stands, the angal of the car is tilt. eo will not be 100% all drain out. it will still have some oil on the pan. 

for extraction method, the car is on flat floor surface, chances of extracting out more EO is better than jacking up the car in tilt angal which some EO is not drain out as much as it should be.

Supercharged

actually even if you use the drain method given that we jack up the car using 2 jack stands, the angal of the car is tilt. eo will not be 100% all drain out. it will still have some oil on the pan. 

for extraction method, the car is on flat floor surface, chances of extracting out more EO is better than jacking up the car in tilt angal which some EO is not drain out as much as it should be.

I used the drain method for my previous car, after jacking up the car, drained the oil, I will lower it and like what you described, there will be another 200ml to 300ml of residue oil flowing out when the car is leveled (like JAV scenes  [:p]

I guess not all engine is designed to use extraction method, I tried to change oil using my vacuum extractor for my friend's Honda, we only managed to suck out about 60%

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

Maya77, I watched a video produced by a Taiwanese before, he tested both drain and vacuum methods, the effect of both methods were similar. But he highlighted that there would still be residual being trapped in some areas in the engine block. So if you want it to be very clean, my guess is you will have to drain out engine oil once, pour in new oil, run the engine, drain out again.

Right on bro. Vacuum oil extraction is a factory approved technique for Mercedes. Edited by Mkl22

one of the most important thing the guy said " I dont care if its 3k or how many k miles, when the oil is darkI changed it"

I stick to my 5k km OC regime.  It as good as flushing.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

one of the most important thing the guy said " I dont care if its 3k or how many k miles, when the oil is darkI changed it"

I stick to my 5k km OC regime.  It as good as flushing.

Oil colour does not determined the change interval.

Have you tried a diesel engine ? The moment you put in a brand new oil and start the engine a bit, it turns black, not brown, but black, like black ink. [laugh]

That's why the hokkien word is "black oil"

• Praise 1

Thanks everyone. I ordered oil pump few days ago so my solution to try would be:

- Add LM Engine Flush to the oil

- Idle for 10 minutes

- Extract the oil using the pump

- Change the oil filter

- Pour fresh Castrol Edge 5w40

- Pour LM MoS2 anti-friction into new oil

- Drive the car for an hour or so...

I'll let you know about results...

Be careful as the oil would be quite hot (you can feel it in the tubes sucking the oil), cool the engine down further if too hot.  Remember to open the oil cap before extracting.

And when reverse pump to pump out the old oil from the extractor, don't pump too much pressure in case the tube gets dislodged with messy, oily consequences.  Don't ask me how I know......  [laugh]

• Praise 1

I used the drain method for my previous car, after jacking up the car, drained the oil, I will lower it and like what you described, there will be another 200ml to 300ml of residue oil flowing out when the car is leveled (like JAV scenes  [:p]

I guess not all engine is designed to use extraction method, I tried to change oil using my vacuum extractor for my friend's Honda, we only managed to suck out about 60%

wah only just 60%? what is your friend honda model?

Oil colour does not determined the change interval.

Have you tried a diesel engine ? The moment you put in a brand new oil and start the engine a bit, it turns black, not brown, but black, like black ink. [laugh]

That's why the hokkien word is "black oil"

Oil is so cheap these days.  u can get for less than $10 a litre.

I am with this guy.  I just don't like the look of my oil looking dark n old.  And the sheer smoothness of new good oil is unbeatable.

I just changed my oil 2 wees ago.  Have since done 2 high speed runs up North.  I am gonna drain it out end of this month to have a look.  I am a believer of straight deterioration.

Crank like 50 times with kerosene filled in engine , wonât the batteries go flat or strain them ??

I would only do this if the engine is sludged.

Normal oil change I wouldn't bother.

:D

Supercharged
(edited)

wah only just 60%? what is your friend honda model?

Honda Insight

I guess not all dipstick tube are pointing to the deepest part of the sump, this is a good example of sump pan with three different "bottoms"

12101-17200.jpg

Edited by Phang
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2