Lexus is rank No 1 luxury car again in 2009

Pckwpckw

Neutral Newbie

[thumbsup] he is the lexus salesman cum owner who say he go pump petrol in jb and kena rob.

Everyone who love their own car is a salesman, talking rubbish. You can critise the government , people u don't like but don't speak evil. You are born with a evil mouth. You will be under ISA arrest one day if u don't change your behaviour.

↡ Advertisement

..... but it will take a lot more for them to inject the soul.....

When some products are said to have soul, or character, another slant to it is that the product is very well loved by certain group of people, although somewhat flawed.....

When some products are said to have soul, or character, another slant to it is that the product is very well loved by certain group of people, although somewhat flawed.....

or a mask for the imperfections hehe.... [:p]

Are robots perfect? If it is perfect, has it got soul or character?

Are human perfect? So, human got soul or robot got soul?

we are brought up in an English (Caucasian) educational system and see beauty in a Western Bias

to the Japanese the car lines are what the Japanese considered a car that embodied the body and soul

there are lots of advertising power that "brain wash" us

in the end -

practicality versus the subtle

if practical then a car must be reliable with refine ride

car must not be ugly by conventional standard

in the end it is individual taste and how deep is one's pocket

you can force someone to like something they dont really like

Does he have a "soul" versus some one like Warren Buffet

MDs can be a lot younger these days

By Chen Huifen

WHILE not denying that he is one of the youngest - if not the youngest - second- generation successors in town, PowerPlus Group managing director Marcus Ong brushes aside his youth and lack of life experience as possible obstacles in running a $50 million company.

'I always felt that if you are good enough, you are old enough,' he tells BT in an e-mail interview. 'I don't see being young as an obstacle to running a business. Instead, as the company evolves, it is the creativity and energy of its youth that will drive the company forward.'

Coming from a 19-year-old fresh out of school, the response smacks of confidence and gutsiness. Mr Ong qualifies, however, by adding that he was fortunate to have his father, Derrick, and many 'old guards' guide him closely. It also helps that he is enthusiastic about the business, even mapping his education path to match the needs of the heavy equipment manufacturing firm.

At 16, for instance, he opted to pursue a diploma course in business, even though he qualified for junior college. The Anglo- Chinese School (Independent) alumnus wanted to be able to apply what he learnt at PowerPlus quickly, and topics such as human resources management and organisation structure would be useful to get him started.

'Since young, I have always shown a keen interest in motorcars, motorbikes and boats or anything that has wheels and an engine,' says Mr Ong. 'Since PowerPlus manufactures construction equipment, it came as second nature for me to be integrated into the company.'

Even while he was in secondary school, Mr Ong would exchange ideas with his father on subjects such as the appearance and finishing of the heavy equipment vehicles that PowerPlus produces. His father also nurtured his interest along the way by sending him for courses and created opportunities for him to test-drive bulldozers, wheel loaders, excavators, motor graders and cranes in China and Japan.

'He sent me for courses at Dale Carnegie, PricewaterhouseCoopers, etc, to let me upgrade my skills and pick up more knowledge that would come in handy in the future. Also, I attended several technical training programmes in various parts of China such as those by Cummins Inc USA, CL Wheel Loader and Motorgrader, Shanghai Bulldozer and Hydraulic Excavators, to gain a better understanding of how our machines operate as well as how to repair them.'

However, the most valuable lessons were those picked up while watching his father. Despite a failed venture in property development years ago, his father never gave up and continued to pursue other entrepreneurial endeavours including PowerPlus, which was set up in 2004.

Inspired by his father's resilience, Mr Ong helped out at PowerPlus of his own accord. In the early days of PowerPlus, he would go into the office to lend a hand in all sorts of tasks, ranging from design, human resources, quality control and IT - all this while juggling a heavy school schedule.

He was involved in the company's product development programmes, sourcing for customer feedback while working with the R&D department. He was also responsible for the creation of the company's logo and is credited for drawing fresh blood into the firm. Today, PowerPlus has 15 employees under 30 years old among the 20 on its payroll.

Entrepreneurship certainly runs in his blood. Even before joining the family business, Mr Ong saw a business opportunity in the clubbing scene and seized it with a group of friends.

'When I was 17 years old, together with three other friends, I started an events company called Flaunt Industries, which organises legal underaged clubbing parties,' he says. 'We would book an entire club for young people to have some healthy fun during their school holidays. The legal age of entry to the clubs was also lowered to 16 for the night and, back then, our profits ranged from $3,000 to $10,000 per event.'

Barely a year after being appointed managing director (a position which he took up after a rule change that lowered the age of full contractual capacity from 21 years to 18), Mr Ong already has big plans for PowerPlus. He recently led the firm to win last year's Enterprise 50 Award and to earn a place in two categories of the Singapore Prestige Brand Award.

He is aiming to list PowerPac International, a subsidiary that deals with construction equipment, hopefully by next year.

This article was first published in The Business Times.

not disputing that Lexus may be refined.

Let me explain further, david's point

in fact , it's the same for every s--t.

Why does a perfectly timed Casio, battery run to perfection, sell for a fraction of an automatic Oysterdate?

Why does a beautifully handrolled Dominican Republic cigar stand pale beside a rougher Cuban?

Why does a refined hi tech Honda bike sell for so much cheaper and less sought after then a bobbing old HD?

Why is an old conservation house so much more meaningful than a brand new lifeless condo?

Why is it so much more fun to hang out with a grungy, funky girl then a next door librarian type?

oh, i could go on forever.

end of the day, it's about character. and lexus is far behind in that department.

different people have different taste lah! like it then FEEL it has character lor! don't like, it is a piece of s--t.

Are robots perfect? If it is perfect, has it got soul or character?

Are human perfect? So, human got soul or robot got soul?

Another example of difference between excellent qualitities and having a soul.

Yamaha saxophones are among the most well made that money can buy. In fact they have some innovative design features that makes it an excellent musical instrument that one can enjoy for years. But those who knows it goes for Selmer saxophones, because it has character and soul. Some of the best saxophone players still swears by their old discoloured Selmers and it has to be in silver, no less.

Then again it's also a lousy comparison. Here wer are talking about musical instruments. Cars are a different matter. Of course different car brands have their fair share of lemon. Just that BMW seem to have a slightly larger share of quality complains compared to many Jap cars for some reason. Are Beemers owners really not more than just a badge whore?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If a certain Mr Ah-Kow buys a Beemer just because he likes to show off, and can hardly appreciate the car anyway, it's his own money and his perogative anyway. He got his money's worth in term of the perceived snob value attached to the car brand. If a Mr So-so is very practical, and got himself an Avante because it fits his budget and needs, who's right is it to say that he spent his money foolishly? It's his money anyway.

Car rankings are nothing more than what certain group of people with their own bias and prejudice forming their conclusions. We spend our money the way we like, whether for the right reasons or not, we'll live with that our own. No reason to bash another brand name right?

Yamaha saxophones are among the most well made that money can buy. In fact they have some innovative design features that makes it an excellent musical instrument that one can enjoy for years. But those who knows it goes for Selmer saxophones, because it has character and soul. Some of the best saxophone players still swears by their old discoloured Selmers and it has to be in silver, no less.

Then again it's also a lousy comparison. Here wer are talking about musical instruments. Cars are a different matter. Of course different car brands have their fair share of lemon. Just that BMW seem to have a slightly larger share of quality complains compared to many Jap cars for some reason. Are Beemers owners really not more than just a badge whore?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If a certain Mr Ah-Kow buys a Beemer just because he likes to show off, and can hardly appreciate the car anyway, it's his own money and his perogative anyway. He got his money's worth in term of the perceived snob value attached to the car brand. If a Mr So-so is very practical, and got himself an Avante because it fits his budget and needs, who's right is it to say that he spent his money foolishly? It's his money anyway.

Car rankings are nothing more than what certain group of people with their own bias and prejudice forming their conclusions. We spend our money the way we like, whether for the right reasons or not, we'll live with that our own. No reason to bash another brand name right?

Here here! Well said!

Like what u have said, why do ppl choose Selmer over Yamaha?

Every gen of BMW has some major flaw & not juz some lemon. Why do ppl choose BMW then? I bought my BMW because i like how it drives. The thrill of able to get in & out of corner fast. In fact, i nvr buy into any of these ranking except Intenational Engine of the Year.

Every gen of BMW has some major flaw & not juz some lemon. Why do ppl choose BMW then? I bought my BMW because i like how it drives. The thrill of able to get in & out of corner fast. In fact, i nvr buy into any of these ranking except Intenational Engine of the Year.

Exactly! You got your Beemer, I got my Civic. You happy with yours, I'm happy with mine (for now).

Point is what for pull other brands down a notch, it's not as if those reviewers are paying for yours or my ride.

Exactly! You got your Beemer, I got my Civic. You happy with yours, I'm happy with mine (for now).

Point is what for pull other brands down a notch, it's not as if those reviewers are paying for yours or my ride.

Well, what's point of starting a thread to tell the whole world Lexus is No.1 luxury car?

Well, what's point of starting a thread to tell the whole world Lexus is No.1 luxury car?

he might have self-esteem problem [laugh]

last time in MCF we used to see threads every month declaring honda is #1 car or toyota is #1 car of the month. i think singaporeans spend so much money on cars, it is like an extension of their own egos. they jump at every chance to glorify it and god forbid you should step on it. that's why got so many honda and toyota sensitive people in this forum... and lately, BMW... :D and lexus...must be sensitive of their feelings... dun say anything bad about their cars... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Neutral Newbie

This is a forum for people to share idea and information, just because your car is not No 1 and you are not happy. Be more open minded. I own a BMW and a lexus but i am still happy to post such a thread. I hope i am not hurting your feeling.

Neutral Newbie

A lot of people who buy BMW is that they cannot afford the real sport car, like ferrari, posche, lambo etc. Just to fulfill their dream of owning one, including me i buy BMW because is a mass production performance car is cheap.

↡ Advertisement