Singapore assistance to Haiti earthquake

Fcw75

In the whole response, only two lines tend to reply Ms Chua's letter. Even that didn't reply exactly

The amount or type of humanitarian assistance given by the Singapore Government is not intended to match the scale of a disaster. In the case of massive disasters in countries beyond our own region, our contributions often cannot be more than a show of moral support and a gesture of sympathy to the affected country.

Ok..so the humanitarian assistance is to match with what? Distance of that country from Singapore? Nearer get more, further get less or how?

And why is it that for countries beyond our region, our contributions cannot be more than a show of moral support? Why is that so?

This kind of reply is like no reply.

↡ Advertisement

Wow, this Chua Mui Hoong ST reporter sure kenna sack by writing this article.

I hope there are more reporter like that out there, reporter should report the truth [thumbsup]

I hope there are more reporter like that out there, reporter should report the truth [thumbsup]

Strange that her letter manage to be published in the first place.

Chua Mui Hoong is the political news editor for ST and so of course her article can get published if she wants. She was once a high ranking civil servant as well. What is strange about this article getting published is that she is usually rather "pro-govt" in her reporting and this is the first time I have seen her written something that is not so favourable against the govt..

MFA's reply already say liao..

we have to consider the nature of our relations with the affected country

haiti no deep relation with sg.. haiti no invest much in sg.. sg no invest much in haiti.. so sg govt no reason to donate much to haiti lor.. basically, the donation amt is not based on humanitarian reasoning.. it's an economic & diplomatic decision.. <_<

MFA's reply already say liao..

we have to consider the nature of our relations with the affected country

haiti no deep relation with sg.. haiti no invest much in sg.. sg no invest much in haiti.. so sg govt no reason to donate much to haiti lor.. basically, the donation amt is not based on humanitarian reasoning.. it's an economic & diplomatic decision.. <_<

then why wait long, long about that romanian diplomat... romania also not deep relation to us... should have caught and hanged the fella by the bolls.... right now, the case already forgotten.

So what do you suggest?

The medical supplies are for the aftermath.

Sanitiary condition will be bad and diseases spread easily.

Afaik, they are not a field hospital, just like a first aid post.

They left out the pimple cream <_<

Chua Mui Hoong is the political news editor for ST and so of course her article can get published if she wants. She was once a high ranking civil servant as well. What is strange about this article getting published is that she is usually rather "pro-govt" in her reporting and this is the first time I have seen her written something that is not so favourable against the govt..

Maybe people is starting to wake up liao [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

haha...pathetic sum...

Yesterday the Ren Ci show now already more then 7mn, saw also some organisations like temples donated at least $100k...haha...what can we say???

thunder leader was also VIP guest last nite, duno what he thinking in his mind leh?maybe can " " more $$ from the organisations coz they got $$$... [rolleyes]

I remember last time other similar shows the Loyang Tua Pek Kong also donated 200-300K...power sia... [cool]

i'd rather donate to haiti than renci

wah, i like this part..

"The support from Singapore for Haiti need not be demonstrated just by the Government. Singaporeans who want to make a contribution can do so through the Red Cross and other groups, and indeed many have. The Singaporeans who have gone to Haiti on relief missions amply demonstrate their compassion for the victims of the earthquake."

telling singaporeans that if you guys so kind, then you go n help lo... i never stop you leh... [;)][;)][;)]

In the whole response, only two lines tend to reply Ms Chua's letter. Even that didn't reply exactly

The amount or type of humanitarian assistance given by the Singapore Government is not intended to match the scale of a disaster. In the case of massive disasters in countries beyond our own region, our contributions often cannot be more than a show of moral support and a gesture of sympathy to the affected country.

Ok..so the humanitarian assistance is to match with what? Distance of that country from Singapore? Nearer get more, further get less or how?

And why is it that for countries beyond our region, our contributions cannot be more than a show of moral support? Why is that so?

This kind of reply is like no reply.

moral support?

Talk is cheap.

What a sad state of moral indifference we are in.

Are conditions on helping another human being based on ROI, strategic importance, mutual benefits etc?

If so we all should not donate to Charity to help another human simply because we don't even know the people we are going to help, and it does not add

any value or benefit us in anyway. This is what our leaders are teaching us by example.

Limited resources? Which country has unlimited resources ESP when it comes to $?

Does giving more than 50k or even a million sound irresponsible?

put into perspective, 3-4 COEs are enuff to recover the 50k sent.

30cts is all Every Singaporean need to outgive the garmen.

I'm sure all Singaporeans wouldn't mind giving $1 out of our pocket.

We tax payers certainly wouldn't mind contributing more.

They should understand that a strong government ultimately influence a nation state of moral health. A country with corrupted gov will likely produce a nation full of corruptions. We want to build a gracious society but our leaders show us otherwise.

They somehow forgotten they are Indirectly responsible to the state of the country's moral health and standing as well.

I'd utterly embaressed if my foreign national frens and colleagues learnt abt our generiosity!

↡ Advertisement