Do Westerners have more conscience than Asians?

Ahtong

When a disaster happens, I see the angmos are always very on. Regardless of where the disaster area is, their media will give heavy coverage and their celebrities will donate money or organize fundraisers. Asian countries (expect maybe Japan) will bochup unless the disaster happens in their vicinity.

Why is this so?

↡ Advertisement

When a disaster happens, I see the angmos are always very on. Regardless of where the disaster area is, their media will give heavy coverage and their celebrities will donate money or organize fundraisers. Asian countries (expect maybe Japan) will bochup unless the disaster happens in their vicinity.

Why is this so?

More money and free time than Asian lor. they only have to work at most 40hrs a week. we can only rest 40 hours a week. [:p]

Plus Asian Virtue is such. do good deeds dont need ppl to know. Do charity cannot tell ppl. cause good ppl dont need ppl to know.

When Aceh was devasted in 2004, it was mostly Asean who provided help. Since Haiti is in the Americas, it make sense to see more coverage from the western media.

eg: Sichuan earthquake, Sharon Stone made a dump comment on "karma" while Jet Li donated lots of money and even joined in the rescue efforts. So it doesn't always mean Westerners are more "on" with regards to humanitarian efforts.

Edited by Altivo

ah moh are not that generous de la.

they prefer to go on dutch. so far i only see chinese say i treat, next time u return lor..etc.

Edited by Babyt

Why is this so?

becos they chut lak, we chut lui......

Asia owns approx 78.4% of United States of America, didnt you know?

a bit more and they will have to be called United States of Amerasia

The money China lent to America comes from American consumers in the first place. They are like Harry Potter and Voldermort, one cannot live without the other.

no offence, but i think in general, they have indeed had more time to evolve as a civilised society.

unfortunately, asians have a long way to catch up, but its a matter of time. but i cant see a day that prc would give up tibet, xinjiang anytime soon, in contrast to the era of the late 1800s, where the european parliaments were actually under pressure from its people to grant independence to their colonies. perhaps im naive, but look around you, you can be rich, but you can never buy class. evolution is a slow painful, self cleansing process. how often do you see distasteful acts around you, even here in shiny modern day singapore?

that said, it doesnt mean there arent cheapskate, selfish, greedy AMs. just look at those darn bankers, the gall of asking for more.....

Why is this so?

one argument is that westerners are still suffering from "western guilt" over their blood drenched history when they invaded and colonised the entire non-western world, as well as perpertrated the nasty things that followed such as slavery of africans/native americans, and the attempted genocide of certan south american native groups. so now they are very "on" to help the people they abused and murdered.

by the way. do you know where haiti is? it is nowhere near africa but the people are black african ancestry. if it weren't for whte slavemasters bringing slaves from africa across the atlantic to work in north/south america, these black people wouldn't even be inhabiting haiti today, suffering from haitian earthquake. just food for thought.

, in contrast to the era of the late 1800s, where the european parliaments were actually under pressure from its people to grant independence to their colonies.

it is historical fact that the european colonial nations already become very wealthy thru their colonial possesions (precious metals, precious stones, precious commodities, etc) before they agreed to relinquish their colonial holdings.

in fact, the filthy lucre from colonialism was a fundamental basis for european scientific, cultural and economic development in the 1800s thru 1900s to today.

it is just business, nothing personal. don't be so naive to think that european govts let go of their colonial holdings out of kind heartedness when they actually sucked out enough benefits liao. as long as they give the impression that "were actually under pressure from its people to grant independence to their colonies", it is killing 2 birds with one stone. Great PR.

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Why is this so?

haiti is in the caribbean, next to the dom republic, near cuba.

fidel castro's cuba! the last bastion of communism in the western hemisphere, not counting the several instable south american countries that could lapse into communism any given minute.

call me cynical, but the relief efforts by the USA and EU smacks of political manoeuvering with different goals in mind for both stakeholders. USA is interested because 1. Haiti is in its very own backyard. 2. USA needs all the allies it can get in central/south america as USA has several important economic, political and covert interests there (assassinating political figures/propping up govts, but that's another story liao)

EU interested just because it is USA's buddy buddy in foreign social affair/human rights issues, ie:- "carry the bright light of democracy to the repressed world", which can itself be a covert operation for economical and geopolitical influence and power, like philippines, okinawa, etc.

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Neutral Newbie

the european colonial nations already become very wealthy thru their colonial possesions (precius metals, precious stones, precious commodities, etc) before they agreed to reliquish their colonial holdings.

in fact, the filthy lucre from colonialism was a fundamental basis for european scientific, cultural and economic development in the 1800s thru 1900s to today.

it is just business, nothing personal. don't be so naive to think that european govts let go of their colonial holdings out of kind heartedness when they actually sucked out enough benefits liao. as long as they give the impression that "were actually under pressure from its people to grant independence to their colonies", it is killing 2 birds with one stone. Great PR.

Two thumbs up for tis. Look at history & open our eyes big big......Asia was exploited by whom? Conscience? I really beg to differ. Look at the economies of those who were involved in the colonization of Asian countries. Not too bad lei I guess. The Ang Mos did not use time to evolve into a "civilised" societies,......they used wealth "exploited" frm Asia. And they are still exploiting it til tis veri day. Not to say all Westerners are "bad"......but really look arnd esp in SEA & u will find.

↡ Advertisement