Do Westerners have more conscience than Asians?

Ahtong

I don't know about conscience. But most western society is definitely more civil-minded than Asian. Their NOGs are influential and their gov need to show that they are 'among' their people and share their effort.

it is historical fact that the european colonial nations already become very wealthy thru their colonial possesions (precious metals, precious stones, precious commodities, etc) before they agreed to relinquish their colonial holdings.

in fact, the filthy lucre from colonialism was a fundamental basis for european scientific, cultural and economic development in the 1800s thru 1900s to today.

it is just business, nothing personal. don't be so naive to think that european govts let go of their colonial holdings out of kind heartedness when they actually sucked out enough benefits liao. as long as they give the impression that "were actually under pressure from its people to grant independence to their colonies", it is killing 2 birds with one stone. Great PR.

But some of their colonies also benefited from it. It work both way, but like in biz, 1 party may benefit more than the other (usually the one with more cash and greater biz mind will make more). Without the colonisation, cities like s'pore, m'sia, HK, etc...wouldn't be as advance as they are now. The colonial masters left behind pretty good infrastructures, law and order, connectivity with the developed countries, etc...

Not so sure about better infrastructure. They did leave behind some legacy of governance and administrative systems. That also include the capital punishment (e.g. hanging, electric chair), corporal punishment (e.g. canning), etc. all legacy of colonization, not really invented after independence. In HK, they never got any democracy, or any choice of choosing their leaders until the British decided to leave it for the communists then tell them "you are now free to vote". HSBC established in the Qing Empire, originally accumulated its wealth from trading with Qing, through the opium war and other treaties signed through violence, not through peaceful means leh. Of course, eventually it moved away from these trades. Sir Stamford Raffles was also a drug trader, recently the Singapore Customs celebrated its 100th anniversary originally setup to facilitate opium trade.

But some of their colonies also benefited from it. It work both way, but like in biz, 1 party may benefit more than the other (usually the one with more cash and greater biz mind will make more). Without the colonisation, cities like s'pore, m'sia, HK, etc...wouldn't be as advance as they are now. The colonial masters left behind pretty good infrastructures, law and order, connectivity with the developed countries, etc...

pre-date yes. but have they ever had time under largely corruption free democracy? i dunno...

I think you are dreaming. Have you ever wonder why when republican take the president seat, their manufacturing industries boom and when democratic take the president seat the IT industries boom? its corruption. there is no corruption free democracy in the world.

I think you are dreaming. Have you ever wonder why when republican take the president seat, their manufacturing industries boom and when democratic take the president seat the IT industries boom? its corruption. there is no corruption free democracy in the world.

Finland? Norway? Denmark? All very corrupt is it? Policeman all on the take? Politicians all

handing out money before elections? When they lose the elections they organise riots is it?

IT boom bcos of corruption? Bill Gates got rich bcos of corruption? Clinton gave him million dollar contracts to buy Windows?

Manufacturing boom under Republicans? GM, GE, Ford almost went bankrupt under George W Bush, he is not a Republican? [:)]

I am learning a lot from you! [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

This forum never fails to amaze me. Why bother about westerners have more conscience than asians or not?

The important thing is we ourselves have conscience. Dont you all think so? [rifle]

Finland? Norway? Denmark? All very corrupt is it? Policeman all on the take? Politicians all

handing out money before elections? When they lose the elections they organise riots is it?

IT boom bcos of corruption? Bill Gates got rich bcos of corruption? Clinton gave him million dollar contracts to buy Windows?

Manufacturing boom under Republicans? GM, GE, Ford almost went bankrupt under George W Bush, he is not a Republican? [:)]

I am learning a lot from you! [thumbsup]

Almost gone bankrupt under Republican? you sure got a lot of things to learn. they should be bankrupt under George W Bush, ever wonder why they can tahan till Obama??

You sibe tian zhen, you think they corruption will let you know?? No government in the world is corruption free.

Ever wonder why most of their president and prime minister relative in those country you mention seems to be richer than others?

Edited by Joseph22

This forum never fails to amaze me. Why bother about westerners have more conscience than asians or not?

The important thing is we ourselves have conscience. Dont you all think so? [rifle]

cause forum mah so everythings go.

I think in situations like this, a lot of doors of opportunities are open. Ppl can go there do studies on human and their behaviour when it comes to disasters, geographic studies, intelligence gathering and even looting. In front of the cameras and media of course everyone is helping out. But what really happens when the cameras moved on? The place also have a lack of security amid the chaos, anyone get easily get in & out.

For medical industry this is the best testbed for new medicine/drugs/equipments to be put on tests. After that they can market their products showing off what they did in this disaster which helped so many ppl. It's great publicity cos it's shown all around the world.

Unfortunately, a lot of the things are not what it seems.

Neutral Newbie

When a disaster happens, I see the angmos are always very on. Regardless of where the disaster area is, their media will give heavy coverage and their celebrities will donate money or organize fundraisers. Asian countries (expect maybe Japan) will bochup unless the disaster happens in their vicinity.

Why is this so?

i always wondered why there are never any photos if muslim countries helping in an international event. iraq iran, UAE, Dubai, and etc etc..

do they sent anything? money or man power?

i always wondered why there are never any photos if muslim countries helping in an international event. iraq iran, UAE, Dubai, and etc etc..

do they sent anything? money or man power?

Even if they take a photo of them you wont be able to tell. they look just like anyone on the street.

Neutral Newbie

Even if they take a photo of them you wont be able to tell. they look just like anyone on the street.

normally the news will report the countries that sent troops there right?

i never heard them reporting about troops from arabia.. but i have heard them reporting about isreal sending troops.

CNN reporter Anderson Cooper saves a Haitian boy from the Haitians

Link

We were covering another story when we heard shots being fired. We ran toward the sound and found a store being looted. Two Haitian police officers were occasionally firing into the air to try to keep order, but that only worked for a few moments, then the looting would begin again.

They were stealing boxes of candles. An American businessman named Tony who owns two stores nearby barricaded one street to keep looters away. He had armed the two Haitian police with automatic weapons, and they were assisting him, but they were not able to control anything beyond their barricade.

It quickly became a free-for-all. Young men began fighting one another for the stolen items. A number of young men had knives, and planks of wood, screwdrivers and rocks. They were using their improvised weapons to threaten and injure others who had stolen items from the store. The robbers were now being robbed. One group of looters whipped another man with a leather belt. They punched him as well, and they stole the sack of goods he'd just stolen.

I was in the midst of the melee with Charlie Moore, my producer, Neil Hallsworth my cameraman, Vlad Duthiers, my translator, and there was a still photographer from Getty Images with us, photojournalist Jonathan Torgovnik. As things got really out of control, I saw a looter on the roof of the store they'd broken into throw what I think was part of a concrete block into the crowd. It hit a small boy in the head.

I saw him collapse. More chunks of concrete were being thrown at the looters on the roof. The injured boy couldn't get up. He'd try and then collapse again. Blood was pouring from his head. He was conscious but had no control over his body. I was afraid someone on the roof would see him lying there and throw another cinder block piece onto him. I was afraid he'd get killed. No one seemed to be helping him.

I ran to where he was struggling, and picked him up off the ground. I brought him to a spot about a hundred feet away. I could feel his warm blood on my arms. I stood him up, but he was clearly unable to walk. He wiped his bloody face, and I tried to reassure him. He had no idea where he was, and he clearly couldn't walk, so I picked him up again and handed him over to someone behind that makeshift barricade. Tony, the American businessman, gave the boy a wet towel. He was then taken away by someone else. We don't know what happened to him.

I hope he's ok.

haiti.ac.boy.2.jpg

haiti.ac.boy.6.jpg

normally the news will report the countries that sent troops there right?

i never heard them reporting about troops from arabia.. but i have heard them reporting about isreal sending troops.

hmm.... either the media is bias or they never send troops then... :mellow: