Which Bak Kwa is nice?

Darthkk

If eat at home can but the cheaper bits and pieces version, means when they BBQ the meat for broken pieces they take out. And this cheaper version not bad cos more then 60% of the meat I get is half the slice and the rest at least got 1/4 of the slice left so not so small pieces in fact I find it easier to eat smaller pieces. When guest come usually we will cut them up to bit size so the guest also cannot tell it is the cheapo version. I buy at France factory at Woodland Terrence. Last week is $11 per 500gm, 2 days ago go again to top up become $15 liao.

But of course give people not so nice. But I give my in law cheapo version they dun mind also cos they are also poor people like me so they understand lah. [:p]

↡ Advertisement

I am surprised no one mentioned Kim Peng Hiang @465 Changi Rd (nearest MRT is Kembangan) and I think they have an outlet at People's Park Complex.

They have this special Pineapple Bak Kwa (now selling @ $42/kg) and it's so popular that they are restricting to 1kg per customer only. [thumbsup]

Btw, they also got this "Royal" Bak Kwa is which double in thickness of your normal ones (great for those that like their bak kwa thick and meaty....). Now it's selling at $40/kg and there's no restriction on how much you can buy.

All Bak Kwa tastes the same if not eaten freshly Roasted. So it does not matter to you if buy and keep for CNY.

Unless each time you wanna eat, you roast/toast it...

Cheap one for me - any brand...

All Bak Kwa tastes the same if not eaten freshly Roasted. So it does not matter to you if buy and keep for CNY.

Unless each time you wanna eat, you roast/toast it...

Cheap one for me - any brand...

actually quite true to some degree.

The cheapest time to eat Bak Kwa is outside of CNY season...... some more QC is ensured due to lesser crowd.

However the queueing and kena chop carrot for Bak Kwa is part and parcel of CNY atmosphere for some of us. It's not a rational behavior but comparing to paying so much to own a car in SG, I feel it's a small matter.

JB bak Kwa is bang for bucks. 1 or 2 weeks ago, already can get around RM58 liao. Made by HACCP certified manufacturers. If you are game enough, they even sell fresh one where you can BBQ at home, half the price only [:p].

Regards,

Correct...now abit ex but still cheaper than SG rates.

ya got once I also bring in which my aunt bought for me. I remember about RM30+ only. Taste no bad too...but hands and legs must be fast so as not to burnt the meat as it is much thinner than the usual chicken wing that we bbq... [:p]

Oh ya btw the 新东方 bak kwa shop in JB (another thread) got one chio lady there as cashier. Duno is the shop assistant or family member. Very sweet voice too and friendly. See already also saliva drool but cant approach coz gf beside me [:p]

Bros if wana go there buy faster probably can sian her too... [laugh]

Edited by Berncsp76

Anyone tried Kim Joo Guan before? How is this compared to Lim Chee Guan & Bee Cheng Hiang?

Saw this at Changi Airport T3

Bak+Kwa+Kim+Joo+Guan.jpg

Alright, with Chinese New Year just around the corner, let's talk about Bak Kwa.

Who doesn't like Bak Kwa? Well, I guess if you are a health nut, you probably want to steer clear of this. But for the rest of us, Chinese New Year is an excuse to indulge a few calories on this luxury snack.

But I have to admit that I have not thought about Bak Kwa very much. Come Chinese New Year and we probably get our Bak Kwa from the most convenient sources. But for those who really want to impress their mother-in-laws, perhaps you would brave the crowds to give her a special box of Bak Kua from Lim Chee Guan in Chinatown.

I think for many of us, the first thing we do to a box of Bak Kwa is to put it in the fridge and then heat it up in the microwave or oven toaster just before serving it to our guests. Imagine the shock I had when I was told that that is precisely what not to do!

BBqing.jpg
Charcoal is still the only way to grill your Bak Kwa

Here then is the right way (according to the experts) to enjoy your Bak Kwa.

Bak Kua is best eaten after it has rested for at least 24 hours as it takes time for the meat to develop its flavour and texture right BBQing. A good Bak Kua can be kept on your kitchen table for around a week and should remain soft and tender. The experts don't advise you to chill the Bak Kwa and reheat it as it would lose its juices and turn dry. Also, even if you kept your Bak Kwa in the fridge, it should not turn white in colour. This is a sign that the Bak Kua has not been cooked enough such that the sugars did not adequately caramelise.

Now, a good Bak Kwa should be made from chilled pork, not frozen and never buy the minced version. It should be sliced meat as it retains the meat fibres which translates to better flavour when you chew on it.

Have you ever wondered what secret ingredients gives Bak Kwa its special taste? You won't believe it if I told you. But according to the guys at Kim Joo Guan, there are only three ingredients in Bak Kwa. Pork, normal table sugar and your everyday fish sauce which you can pick up from the supermarket. Hard to imagine that fishsauce and sugar can produce that wonderful Bak Kwa flavour right? Oh yes, there is one more ingredient that a lot of stalls nowadays are omitting and that the the smoky flavour that you can only get if you grill the Bak Kwa over charcoal.

Bak+Kwa+Kim+Joo+Guan+1.jpg
Bak Kwa $43 per kg

The latest player in the Bak Kwa market is Kim Joo Guan who have been supplying raw Bak Kwa to Lim Chee Guan for years. They are only recently decided to start selling their Bak Kwa direct to the public. But this is not going to be another Mei Zhen Xiang. The owners are positioning Kim Joo Guan to be a boutique Bak Kwa store where you can only expect the very best Bak Kwa. This is one of the reasons why they don't sell the minced pork version.

I taste tested both the freshly BBQed Bak Kwa and the ones that have been rested for a day and I have to admit that the one day old Bak Kwa really does have a better flavour and bite to it. This Bak Kwa is excellent. It's tender but has enough bite so that you can fully develop that savoury pork flavour. It is sliced slightly thicker than a lot of other Bak Kwa and so it retains it moisture very well. 4.5/5

Conclusion

Now that I know how a good Bak Kwa is supposed to taste like, how am I ever going to go back to enjoy the thin, minced pork, fridge to oven toaster variety again?
Edited by missmarigold

Supercharged

Anyone tried Kim Joo Guan before? How is this compared to Lim Chee Guan & Bee Cheng Hiang?

Bak+Kwa+Kim+Joo+Guan.jpg

Alright, with Chinese New Year just around the corner, let's talk about Bak Kwa.

Who doesn't like Bak Kwa? Well, I guess if you are a health nut, you probably want to steer clear of this. But for the rest of us, Chinese New Year is an excuse to indulge a few calories on this luxury snack.

But I have to admit that I have not thought about Bak Kwa very much. Come Chinese New Year and we probably get our Bak Kwa from the most convenient sources. But for those who really want to impress their mother-in-laws, perhaps you would brave the crowds to give her a special box of Bak Kua from Lim Chee Guan in Chinatown.

I think for many of us, the first thing we do to a box of Bak Kwa is to put it in the fridge and then heat it up in the microwave or oven toaster just before serving it to our guests. Imagine the shock I had when I was told that that is precisely what not to do!

BBqing.jpg

Bak Kua is best eaten after it has rested for at least 24 hours as it takes time for the meat to develop its flavour and texture right BBQing. A good Bak Kua can be kept on your kitchen table for around a week and should remain soft and tender. The experts don't advise you to chill the Bak Kwa and reheat it as it would lose its juices and turn dry. Also, even if you kept your Bak Kwa in the fridge, it should not turn white in colour. This is a sign that the Bak Kua has not been cooked enough such that the sugars did not adequately caramelise.

Now, a good Bak Kwa should be made from chilled pork, not frozen and never buy the minced version. It should be sliced meat as it retains the meat fibres which translates to better flavour when you chew on it.

Have you ever wondered what secret ingredients gives Bak Kwa its special taste? You won't believe it if I told you. But according to the guys at Kim Joo Guan, there are only three ingredients in Bak Kwa. Pork, normal table sugar and your everyday fish sauce which you can pick up from the supermarket. Hard to imagine that fishsauce and sugar can produce that wonderful Bak Kwa flavour right? Oh yes, there is one more ingredient that a lot of stalls nowadays are omitting and that the the smoky flavour that you can only get if you grill the Bak Kwa over charcoal.

Bak Kwa $43 per kg

The latest player in the Bak Kwa market is Kim Joo Guan who have been supplying raw Bak Kwa to Lim Chee Guan for years. They are only recently decided to start selling their Bak Kwa direct to the public. But this is not going to be another Mei Zhen Xiang. The owners are positioning Kim Joo Guan to be a boutique Bak Kwa store where you can only expect the very best Bak Kwa. This is one of the reasons why they don't sell the minced pork version.

I taste tested both the freshly BBQed Bak Kwa and the ones that have been rested for a day and I have to admit that the one day old Bak Kwa really does have a better flavour and bite to it. This Bak Kwa is excellent. It's tender but has enough bite so that you can fully develop that savoury pork flavour. It is sliced slightly thicker than a lot of other Bak Kwa and so it retains it moisture very well. 4.5/5

Conclusion

Now that I know how a good Bak Kwa is supposed to taste like, how am I ever going to go back to enjoy the thin, minced pork, fridge to oven toaster variety again?

they are the supplier to lim chee guan and other bak kwa shops. so what do you think?

Anybody know where can buy raw bak kwa?

New Peng Hiang

Location: Blk 15 Woodlands Loop, #03-35/36, Woodlands, 738322
Phone:

They have raw bak kwa for sale, both slice and minced type. Slice type is $25/kg and $26/kg with chilli.

I usually buy the slice chili type and split them, 500gm goes to deep freeze and 500gm goes peng gan.

Cheers

Turbocharged

Bought before during non CNY period at their Chinatown store. Dry and hard, not nice at all.

LCG bak kua tasted abit weird during the initial fiasco when KJG opened their own stall, maybe they changed supplier? Nowadays LCG back to their usual standard liao.

And any bak kwa lover should avoid buying bak kwa during cny where no matter which brand and outlet, they taste their worst.

• Praise 2

This one is good. Air tight packaging!

Bak+Kwa+Kim+Joo+Guan.jpg

BBqing.jpg

Bak Kwa $43 per kg

Conclusion

Turbocharged

Gim Tin Heong.

They are the one at Jalan Kayu that roast late into the night during CNY period right?

If so, many good memories of them last time when at Seletar Camp. Comfort food for duty nights around CNY period.

Never manage to try them overnight as always cleared by everybody on duty once we brought them in.

They are the one at Jalan Kayu that roast late into the night during CNY period right?

If so, many good memories of them last time when at Seletar Camp. Comfort food for duty nights around CNY period.

Never manage to try them overnight as always cleared by everybody on duty once we brought them in.

They are still at Jalan Kayu. I frequent the one at Tampines Ave 4 [:p]
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1