Chinese New Year 2010 Coming!!!! Reunion Dinner !!!

Gylgyl

Neutral Newbie

Yippee Finally CNY coming soon... This yr (Cow) has been a hard yr for me... Lost a colleague who passed away because of Kidney complication illness and alot unfortunate things happened in company... Hopefully after cow yr will have a much smoother and happlier tiger yr... anyway i am planning for reunion dinner (first time in my new flat) hahahahaha going to get my pa pa and ma ma n bro n bro's gf over for dinner... of course going for the steamboat as usual. i think i will not consider to restaurants outside. So... I like to get an opinion from all forumers where to get fresh n nice n cheap ingredent for steamboat... for all to consider when buying too!

where to get these for best value and utlimately fresh

1) Scallops! ( any place to get fresh japanese scallops)

2) Tiger Prawns (Tiger yr must eat tiger prawns mah)

3) tofu fish cakes?

4) mushrooms?

5) Fishes?

6)

7)

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Oh also thinking to get a whole roasted duck as side dishes... where to get? recommendation? Dian Xiao Er????

Neutral Newbie

Oh ya ... good idea... suckling Pig... hehehehehe thanks anyone knows roughly how much it will cost? and thinking to get a small pig only la... hahahahahaha 6 pax only hahahaha

depending on your budget, you can get your steamboat ingredients anywhere in supermarkets.

But if you are budget conscious, you can go to woodlands loop/woodlands cresent there, lots of suppliers selling such as Dodo, Dancing Dragon (pork balls) etc...usually they have some discounts from 10% onwards. But you may have to go early coz they sell out fast. Frangrance Bak Kwa also there too. [rolleyes]

For seafood, you can opt to go Jurong fishery there for your selection. I be gg there 1st week of Feb to grab some nice prawns and garoupers. But needa go very early in the middle of the night. If that's not possible, I recommend you go Song fishey located in Fishery Port Road. They operate office hours. They have lots of frozen and fresh prawns at reasonable price. No relation with them but they have been my supplier for family business for the past 15yrs. Opposite them is NCS cold store which I think they will be open to public. they too sell lots of supermarket frozen products such as fish cakes, beef patties etc etc as well as beverages, can drinks and red wine. lots of uncles and aunties go there by the busloads every weekend organised by CC go there to sweep goods...lol [laugh]

Roast chicken/duck can go to Ubi ave 2 there, blk 3015. Has a few roasted shops there at affordable price. I think roast duck around $16. got suckling pig even if you want but needa order in advance. But if you wan convenience you can order through supermarkets, I think they have those order placing for roast items. But I order once and the quality was [shakehead] coz it comes frozen man... [thumbsdown] summore have to collect myseld and the queue was [furious] first and last time i order thru that. I going to place order for roast geese though...yum yum [laugh]

Edited by Berncsp76

Oh ya ... good idea... suckling Pig... hehehehehe thanks anyone knows roughly how much it will cost? and thinking to get a small pig only la... hahahahahaha 6 pax only hahahaha

I think small one around $60 and above. Price may go up due to increase in demand...my favourite shop is 叶财六...the first stall from the left. delicious roast pork!!! [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks ... yes.. i think i will go Ubi try my luck there hehehehee... i tried be4 in shanghai ... the roast pork with dipping sauce ... Oooo roast pork with option wasabi sauce, or the US yellow mustard (spelling correct?) and asian soy sauce is great...thinking of it now make me drooling ... hehehehehe

Neutral Newbie

yar... exciting in my first flat mah... last time poor mah... family staying in 3rm 30yrs old one... hahahha now finally move to 5rm better space bigger... hahahahaha very happy...

johnson duck is cheap for whole duck...

or you can get whole peking duck at roast meat shop at ubi area...

even suckling pig etc....

wholesale prices... pretty cheap

yeah...but but think Johnson Lock and 933 are all crappy liao...last time both outlets are at my residence area in Balestier...now both are out...

the only outlet here (golden duck) also CMI [shakehead] serve me frozen duck...coz my tastebuds quite sensitive...last time man.

Now get my duck fix at JB 好比鸭王 (got 当归 or 泡参 wan) or ubi area ones...i dun believe in expensive ducks which some coffeeshop roast stalls selling at $35 per duck... [hur][knife] man...

Neutral Newbie

CNY timing the ducks usually don't taste so good.

Prepared in large quantities, by the time we buy already quite dry

I prefer those boiled chicken like bai zhan ji

Can ownself prepare. The soup can use as base for your steamboat.

Left over soup can keep in your fridge. The next morning, dump all those fishcakes, balls or any steamboat left over and become a soup dish

if u have a bad year, u sld not kill more animals for feasting this CNY.

animals died to provide feasts for ur CNY ;p

Oh NO!! CNY is here again!! This is one time of the year I dread big time. Why?

Well, during CNY, the colours (everything red & gold!!) are an eyesore and gives me a bad headache! The music everywhere is horrible! (really hate the CNY music!!). Family members always lose temper and fight with one another. Incessant questions about my marital status. Many of my fave shops are closed,. The list goes on...

Still, happy CNY to those who like this occasion...

CNY music is indeed awful...sound low class right??..maybe we are accustomed to western style music so we dont appreciate it.

however CNY songs sang by some singers are nice de!

Mediacorpse remake one always suck hell..dunno why every year their CMI actor/actress must sing CNY songs on TV.

their singing have no power, sound so sissy and weak i dont feel the CNY mood.

Neutral Newbie

if u have a bad year, u sld not kill more animals for feasting this CNY.

animals died to provide feasts for ur CNY ;p

ok lor ... i try to add more vege into steamy boat... hehehehehehehe

where to get these for best value and utlimately fresh

1) Scallops! ( any place to get fresh japanese scallops)

2) Tiger Prawns (Tiger yr must eat tiger prawns mah)

3) tofu fish cakes?

4) mushrooms?

5) Fishes? (snakehead fish preferred)

6) Vegetables like cabbage, leafy type and sweet corn

7) Sotong slices

8) Crab stick

9) Taiwan sausage

10) Chicken egg or quail's egg

11) C0ckles, lah lah, mussels

12) Glass-like noodle, "tan hun"

I just had a trial run steamboat cum bbq dinner last weekend by my in-law. They wana test run their new steamboat cum hotplate dinner set for the upcoming CNY eve dinner. :D

↡ Advertisement