Modifying Air box

Circuit

have anyone tried it.?

my stock filter is like a cone drop in, but the air box is very restrictive. so i intend to open a few holes.

i was wondering jus drill like 15~20 holes of 5mm holes is good...

or i am looking for these plugs

anyone seen the plugs where to get?

pls advice.

↡ Advertisement

wr400? you have cone shaped filter inside right like the ktms? first time i see wr stock intake, looks really restrictive. try removing the plastic convering totally and go for aftermarket cone filters. oil them regularly with filter oil and it shd be ok.

if its auto transmission, then you shud remain wif yr airbox & operate on it

cutting holes will just pull in hot air within

best is to lead a 3inch pipe thru' it.

you will see the real diff

gd luck

Nope. No point doing that. If you want to mod your airbox, you should cut a hole and connect an air duct to it. Then duct out of engine bay for cool air

Supercharged

the above 2 replies are the right solutions.

ask yourself what you trying to obtain - low range, or top end.

low end, go for stock intake but with air duct.

top end, open pod. cool and noisy

hallo! dey! bike engine dey! no engine bay~

why not go to slackriders.com and ask the pros there in the yamaha section, they can give you better advise on modding your WR400 airbox. here more for advice on cars

Edited by Zyrofillica

Neutral Newbie

If for bikes, better to change the filter or use cone types.. After that need to "tune" the carb.. As what most of my bike(2B) riding friends did.. If you just "bore" holes, I guess the sound will be much louder..

Neutral Newbie

for 2a and 2 bike, change K&N filter is enough.. most 2b bikes dun have air filter, only airbox. alot like to remove airbox for the bassy bassy sound.

Neutral Newbie

the above 2 replies are the right solutions.

ask yourself what you trying to obtain - low range, or top end.

low end, go for stock intake but with air duct.

top end, open pod. cool and noisy

bro, i intend to change my Hurricane drop-in to Open pod, but mechanic say pick-up sure drop... sianz!

is it advisible to install the "Pivot 3-drive" throttle controller together with this "Open pod"? wonder will this throttle controller be able to compensate the drop in pick-up speed?

if say refer to this "low end, go for stock intake but with air duct", do u know how to set up for Lancer EX?

Neutral Newbie

I think the thread starter is driving a car but wants to modify his airbox with plugs like the bike in the picture.

As mentioned, no point. Do an open pod and funnel a duct/pipe to your intake. Best way to get some mid-top end and hear your car roar. :) This method is age old.

Hmm, from my experience. I changed to f-sport intake for my families' lexus. The airbox they gave is exactly the same as stock except for a big hole and a few groves in the airbox.

Actually its not a whole, but a full opening. Maybe you should check lexus forum, the global one where they have threads showing diy instructions to open up the air box. Or perhaps you could try looking for your car's global forum. Americans are very into diy unlike us.

Another option is to get an open pod like some bros said.

I would suggest to keep the original airbox.

Based on my understanding, the stock airbox is made of quite good heat insulation plastic material.

That's true. ABS is a great heat insulator.

Point in tow :

I itchy and went for an INJEN tube open pod intake few years ago. Fixed it and used it. Later got an OBD scantool and read the air temps.... [shocked] the intake temps below bonnet was 69c !!! This was based on outside temp of 36c

Changed back to stock airbox and did the same measurement on the same day with same outside temp of 36c. This time the intake temp went down to 55c..... The stock airbox does play its part in controlling air temps, just that it gets a little more restricted than open pod.

The convectional heat within the engine bay is a real killer in our kind of humid tropical climate.... Even if you do shielding around your open pod, it is of little consolation to the convectional heated air getting sucked in.

Verdict? Stock airbox is best [blush]

That's true. ABS is a great heat insulator.

Point in tow :

I itchy and went for an INJEN tube open pod intake few years ago. Fixed it and used it. Later got an OBD scantool and read the air temps.... [shocked] the intake temps below bonnet was 69c !!! This was based on outside temp of 36c

Changed back to stock airbox and did the same measurement on the same day with same outside temp of 36c. This time the intake temp went down to 55c..... The stock airbox does play its part in controlling air temps, just that it gets a little more restricted than open pod.

The convectional heat within the engine bay is a real killer in our kind of humid tropical climate.... Even if you do shielding around your open pod, it is of little consolation to the convectional heated air getting sucked in.

Verdict? Stock airbox is best [blush]

Will wrapping up the CAI with heat insulation helps to lower the intake air temp? was thinking of doing it to mine, I drop the Simota Cone and replaced with K & N Tornado.

↡ Advertisement