Mixing 2T into petrol tank??

Tigershark1976

i came across a few members (very few) here mentioned about mixing a small portion of 2T into the petrol tank of a car to achieve better engine protection and cooler engine operating temp.

I only know that it is very common to do this for motorbike but seldom came across people doing it for a car? what could be the potential side effect other than damage to the cat converter? anyone care to share?

↡ Advertisement

i came across a few members (very few) here mentioned about mixing a small portion of 2T into the petrol tank of a car to achieve better engine protection and cooler engine operating temp.

I only know that it is very common to do this for motorbike but seldom came across people doing it for a car? what could be the potential side effect other than damage to the cat converter? anyone care to share?

2T acts like a lubrication on a bike motor, i suppose it will lubricate the inlet valve or maybe fuel pump. Cooler engine temp i doubt so.

===============

Yup putting a little 2T in your tank wil help lube the upper cylinder , fuel pump & valves but if too much it might damage your cat. Also u might get carbon build-up unless u whack to clear the carbon.

Why dont u just put those fuel cleaner like Redex instead. Those r cat friendly.

Its good to put in new engines to lube the tight parts but I think the proper stuff like Redex wil do it more safely.

I used to put some engine oil in my tank when i was driving a car without a cat.

(edited)

===============

Yup putting a little 2T in your tank wil help lube the upper cylinder , fuel pump & valves but if too much it might damage your cat. Also u might get carbon build-up unless u whack to clear the carbon.

Why dont u just put those fuel cleaner like Redex instead. Those r cat friendly.

Its good to put in new engines to lube the tight parts but I think the proper stuff like Redex wil do it more safely.

I used to put some engine oil in my tank when i was driving a car without a cat.

No lah, just being curious when i hear people saying that. Not intended to try actually...so, what is the amount that is consider safe? 1 part of 2T to 100 part of petrol??

Edited by Tigershark1976

2T acts like a lubrication on a bike motor, i suppose it will lubricate the inlet valve or maybe fuel pump. Cooler engine temp i doubt so.

i c... if thats the case, might as well use WD40?? simply spray some into the petrol tank (just wild idea, dont try cos i dont know the consequences) think its better than 2T, at least easier to burn....

No lah, just being curious when i hear people saying that. Not intended to try actually...so, what is the amount that is consider safe? 1 part of 2T to 100 part of petrol??

=============

U can get those fuel additive & just follow the instructions on the bottle. I using Redex for >30 years already. Long time on the market so can b sure its good stuff & no problems.

Engine oil/2T I used to put just a small amount, maybe 100cc per tank, just for some lubrication.

=============

U can get those fuel additive & just follow the instructions on the bottle. I using Redex for >30 years already. Long time on the market so can b sure its good stuff & no problems.

Engine oil/2T I used to put just a small amount, maybe 100cc per tank, just for some lubrication.

yap, heard of redex b4 as well, ever used once... not the current packaging, its the slim bottle type. something like redline water wetter.

100cc per tank?? thats not very much. think should be very safe....

i c... if thats the case, might as well use WD40?? simply spray some into the petrol tank (just wild idea, dont try cos i dont know the consequences) think its better than 2T, at least easier to burn....

==============

Dont anyhow start putting stuff in your tank.

Last time I work in aerospace co. they ban WD40 from the workshops. Anybody caught using it wil b sacked.

They tested it & found it caused pitting on the metal parts. Only allowed RP7(Selleys).

Also some of these oils wil cause the rubber hoses & seals to detiorate.

yap, heard of redex b4 as well, ever used once... not the current packaging, its the slim bottle type. something like redline water wetter.

100cc per tank?? thats not very much. think should be very safe....

=============

I like to buy the biggest bottle I can find. Value for money. Only put a small amt per tank & I dont use it all the time.

Just once a month or so or when going on a long trip up north where I intend to whack the car for long distances. It helps to lube & also clear carbon.

==============

Dont anyhow start putting stuff in your tank.

Last time I work in aerospace co. they ban WD40 from the workshops. Anybody caught using it wil b sacked.

They tested it & found it caused pitting on the metal parts. Only allowed RP7(Selleys).

Also some of these oils wil cause the rubber hoses & seals to detiorate.

sorry bro, wat do u mean by "pitting on the metal parts"??

sorry bro, wat do u mean by "pitting on the metal parts"??

===============

They soak the metal parts in different types of brands & metal get small holes after some time. The lube oils r eating into the metal.

2T got a few type, if you want to try, buy those ashless type like TCW3 2T.

2T should be safe as it is designed to be burned anyway, for motorbike the ratio is 50:1. So i guess for car, maybe 200-300:1 or more.

Yes, 2T does provide addiitonal lubrication for the upper cylinder walls and can help to clean your combustion chamber (cause 2 stroke engines are inefficieny by nature).

The ration I usually use is 1000:1 1ml for every 1L of petrol. You can also try 500:1

===============

They soak the metal parts in different types of brands & metal get small holes after some time. The lube oils r eating into the metal.

wow.... thats very useful information! All along, I tot WD40 is to lubricate & protect metal parts. Think I better stop using WD40 from now.

2T got a few type, if you want to try, buy those ashless type like TCW3 2T.

2T should be safe as it is designed to be burned anyway, for motorbike the ratio is 50:1. So i guess for car, maybe 200-300:1 or more.

2T still got so many types ahh??? i remember last time i only get the cheapest 2T from workshop at Bkt Merah village and pour a bit to my bike.... dun even care the ratio, but if pour too much, very diff to start the bike in the morning...

2T still got so many types ahh??? i remember last time i only get the cheapest 2T from workshop at Bkt Merah village and pour a bit to my bike.... dun even care the ratio, but if pour too much, very diff to start the bike in the morning...

Got, some got ash some ashless, i think the latest is ashless type. Why don't you buy some and try, tell us your feedback.

===============

I used to put some engine oil in my tank when i was driving a car without a cat. What????????? Engine Oil p[our into fuel tank

↡ Advertisement