SCHNELL Engine Oil 5W40

Cwinedine

Anyone knows if 4L is enough for Altis.....mine warranty is ending and I'm thinking of buying my own EO for my next service.....

screenshot from service manual 3ZZ-FE/1ZZ-FE

EngineOil.png

Edited by Happily1986
↡ Advertisement

screenshot from service manual 3ZZ-FE/1ZZ-FE

Thanks bro, btw you scan your car manual or you got a softcopy of the service manual?

Service manual bro not user manual. you want i can send you to study. [laugh]

Thanks bro, I definitely would like to take a look. I'll PM you my e-mail address if you don't mind.

vg sorry nvr monitor this thread.

it is not at the car product shelf, i ask the sale rep, they refer me to another promote corner near the fans or rather baby product

i get 4 bottles [thumbsup]

no problem bro.............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

went suntec on sunday morning. (06/11/11) carrefour promotion fr 4 till 17 nov

brought 4 bottle.

still hv 2 pallet of EO after i go off [sly]

i can email n attach my receipt to u

no need lah..............small thing leh............anyway promote over le...............thanks bro............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Read why it is important that API certification & quality matters.

Proper additives needed to meet GF-5 spec

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?...XBlPTM=&t=1

Notice Regarding Non-Licensed Organizations, notice the company- Guwer Oil China

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/non-licensed.cfm

Check for API certification here: http://eolcs.api.org/

• Praise 1

All Giant selling at $22.99. Use HSBC still got 5% discount + passion card points.... :D

This EO really so good? Anyone compared this Schnell and the Mobile 1 selling cheap $10.99/q?

• Praise 1

Read why it is important that API certification & quality matters.

Proper additives needed to meet GF-5 spec

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?...XBlPTM=&t=1

Notice Regarding Non-Licensed Organizations, notice the company- Guwer Oil China

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/non-licensed.cfm

Check for API certification here: http://eolcs.api.org/

We're slaves to our vehicles in Singapore. I don't believe in so much documentation over such a simple item. I've posted this before in another thread about cheap engine oil but here's my $0.02

I was a poor student back in 2001 in Perth Australia and bought a 8-9 year old suzuki swift GLi for AU$2500. The car was in running order and had 110,000km + on the ODO. It had 2 previous owners before, (all students), so I do not know entirely the history of the car, but when i test drove it, had no strange sounds, alignment was ok and I bought the car, with full intention to just abandon the car should it develope a catastrophic failure that was too expensive to fix.

Long story short, I did a lot of my own maintanence and servicing as it was very easy to buy stuff there. The DIY culture is very prevalanet there and many people actually service their own cars. I read up online and figured out how the following.

Oil changes

spark plugs

Oil filter

Air filter

A/C filter

Radiator fluid changes

Battery replacement

Spark Plug leads replacements.

Its much easier than you think. And just for the record, I never buy anything that is expensive. I always chose the lowest (or put it bluntly cheapest) brand of synthetic oil to extend the service intervals to every 10,000km. Anytime that there was a clearance or cheap sale of EO or car parts, I'll buy them.

Similarly, I buy the cheapest plugs, learnt to gap them properly as well as the cheapest oil filter, air filter. Never once have I ever bought anything that was supposedly "superior" or branded. Even resorted to using unheard of home brand engine oils and etc.

My service intervals for the car was done religiously at 10,000km, using like i said, the rudimentary of all cheapest products found.

Long story short.

When I left perth back to Singapore, the car had over 220,000km done in 3 years I was there. Battery was changed ONCE!!! I only had a water pump failure as well as a cracked radiator hose (which can proudly say I've replaced myself, the hose, not the pump). I been through one tyre replacement (again cheapest rubber I can find).

My humble suzuki swift has never failed to start, in fact, it has jumped start many of my friends fancier rides (wrx/skylines/civics/silvia) as I always carry jumper cables with me. It has brought me on many wonderful journeys down south in Australia, it has also brought me to plenty of adventurous mountain biking trails, and my highlight of studying in Austrlia?? Is that this humble 1.0litre suzuki swift has brought me to TWO consecutive years of watching the World Rally Championships (LIVE) at the famous bunnings jumps and various locations which I had to basically really drive to those off road areas to watch the stages.

I've been getting mileage of 15-20km per litre with this car using the cheapest service components.

So my frank opinions, I'm not swayed nor do I believe about all these documentation of API certification, this standard, that standard and etc.

Honestly, cars are usually tougher than what you all make them out to be. I've seen so many clunker vehicles that are still driven in Australia beyond 20-30 years!!! I've seen my fair shares of Datsun 100As and Datsun 120Ys that are all older than me but running beautifully well in Australia.

Put it simply, a lot of these documentations I believe are closer to hogwash than actual implementation.

Any engine oil will work for the majority of situations unless you're anal about strict performance and approaching a "spare no expense" way of maintaining your vehicle.

My family now runs 4 vehicles.

Altis 1.6

Civic 1.6 Auto

Swift 1.5 Manual

Forte Manual

All of them are running on cheap VX 5w-30, c-----e 5w-40 and the current Schnell 5w-40 oils. Mileage all good, all running well, Every inspection by AD servicing does not report anything unusual.

Its up to you if you want to believe it, but it doesn't make sense at all for me to pay $150 for 5 liters of "branded oil".

• Praise 2

My theory is that cars are usually MUCH MUCH tougher than we think they are.

Here's an interesting pictorial of how a self admitted idiot went to a workshop after 40,000km of driving WITHOUT changing engine oil and how the workshop salvaged the situation.

Taken from http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1281659

dsc00851m.jpg

dsc00860rvk.jpg

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

dsc00858w.jpg

MORE OMGOMGOMGness!!!!

dsc00861x.jpg

Backside of cover.... more OMGness!!

Ready for more??? Don't eat before viewing.

dsc00862twg.jpg

Imagine this sludge evolving into its own ecosystem in your crank case.

_MG_2317.jpg

*gasps*

_MG_2324.jpg

Sheer amount of sludge just removed from scraping off!!

• Praise 1

Like i say before in previous thread, i'm in full agreement that expensive doesn't = best quality. You still can find cheap and good certified products at a fraction of what outside is selling.

But like in everything engineering, you need certification and lab testing to certify the quality and standard of your products. Without certification, how do you know that the product met the min standard? for example, if a company say their structure 301 stainless steel are 1/2 the cost of others 301 but no certification, you dare to use it to build a building or a bridge?

I also agree with you that in Australia, ppl don't really bother much about their car because it's basically cheaper to own a car and everyone own a car or 2 here. I'm surprise and had seen 3-4yr old car blowing smoke out of their exhaust, that you will never see it here in Spore i can guarantee you because cars in Spore are the 2nd biggest investment you ever made beside buying a house. So preventive maintenance to protect your investment is a wise thing to do, don't you think so.

Like i have post before, engine oil today are very much different from yesteryears, it take alot of high tech engineering and formulation to met current engine requirement, unless you are driving a 20yr old car, API SH or SJ just couldn't cut it anymore.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry4104215

Currently cheapest mineral oil sold at Supercheap during sale i think are Castrol 20w50 API SJ, $15 for 5L. If you are using this oil for your Swift, at least it met API SJ, that's why your Swift can last another 100k of usage. How sure are you that without certification, API SN actually really met API SN and not SJ or SH? Fully Syn are really fully syn?

This seriously look disgusting but sadly it's pretty common occurrence here in Aussieland. That's why when buying 2nd hand car here, do check if the owner have full service record because ppl here sometime really don't give a damn about their car.

Like i say before in previous thread, i'm in full agreement that expensive doesn't = best quality. You still can find cheap and good certified products at a fraction of what outside is selling.

But like in everything engineering, you need certification and lab testing to certify the quality and standard of your products. Without certification, how do you know that the product met the min standard? for example, if a company say their structure 301 stainless steel are 1/2 the cost of others 301 but no certification, you dare to use it to build a building or a bridge?

I also agree with you that in Australia, ppl don't really bother much about their car because it's basically cheaper to own a car and everyone own a car or 2 here. I'm surprise and had seen 3-4yr old car blowing smoke out of their exhaust, that you will never see it here in Spore i can guarantee you because cars in Spore are the 2nd biggest investment you ever made beside buying a house. So preventive maintenance to protect your investment is a wise thing to do, don't you think so.

Like i have post before, engine oil today are very much different from yesteryears, it take alot of high tech engineering and formulation to met current engine requirement, unless you are driving a 20yr old car, API SH or SJ just couldn't cut it anymore.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry4104215

Currently cheapest mineral oil sold at Supercheap during sale i think are Castrol 20w50 API SJ, $15 for 5L. If you are using this oil for your Swift, at least it met API SJ, that's why your Swift can last another 100k of usage. How sure are you that without certification, API SN actually really met API SN and not SJ or SH? Fully Syn are really fully syn?

I understand where you're coming from, suzuki swift manual and AD states that even if you use fully mineral oil, the service interval is 10k. Fully Synthetic can stretch up to 20k. So regular changes (no matter what quality of oil you use) is better than using expensive oil all the time. And I ran that clunker of a swift over 15 years with the cheapest s--t I could find. Our cars here only need to last for 10 years. Don't have to pamper them so much.

My $0.02

:)

↡ Advertisement