Car Shampoo

Bigtree

Neutral Newbie

Hi to all the detailing gurus,

can check whether is there any wax stripping car shampoo in the market...other than mama lemon [laugh] and is there any car shampoo in the market without any wax content in it?

thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Well...if it's 'wax stripping' I don't think they would call it a 'car shampoo' [:p] [:p] [:p]

If you really want to do it why not try a mild dilution of APC or degreaser...that *should* do the trick. Just remember not to let them dwell for too long and rinse immediately.

Shampoo without any wax....I'm not 100% sure but Meg's Hyperwash do come in mind, and so far in my experience using it (left about 1/4 of a gallon), it does nothing to the look and feel after a wash.

yo bro bigtree..actually mama lemon and dawn cant really strip waxes expecially those tough ones..they do wash the car clean giving a metal streaking feel..

Got long term adverse effect?

I'm stripping the collinite 476 on my relative car. Was toying with the idea of using 461 or MML... :D

I agreed with Krismas..a mild dilution of APC BUT to strip colly 476..hmmmm..no promises..

If after using 461 ultimate orange and water still beading..u might have to use little bit of kerosene..

Got long term adverse effect?

Bro Yuan..not too sure about this but once awhile before polish and sealant i do use it to have the metal streaking feel..

they said shampoo w wax will cause windscreen juddering.

and yes..actually no difference..car still look shiny after using normal shampoo.

Edited by Babyt

Neutral Newbie

which type shampoo is better...shampoo with wax or without?

It's all in personal preferences. It's like choosing whether to use a hair shampoo with conditioner or just the shampoo alone with a separate conditioner.

Wash and Wax

Pro: The surface would be 'conditioned' after the wash (not by much really but it's noticeable).

Con1: The wax (or conditioning agents) left behind *could* cause some issues with windscreen wipers.

Con2: The wax (or conditioning agents) *might* effect the QD/Wax/Sealant/Topper that you intend to use afterwards (think smearing/streaking/clouding).

Con3: The wax (or conditioning agents) *could* leave stain or spotting (looked like water spots) if left to dry on it's own or if not spread and dried properly (like spraying QD without spreading and drying). I think this is the main reason why most of the labels in car shampoo says NOT TO WASH UNDER THE SUN.

Car Wash (without wax)

Cons: Doesn't do or add anything to the finish - only cleans them.

Pro1: You don't have to worry if the wax/conditioner left behind is not compatible with the existing wax/sealant or the QD/wax/sealant/topper that you're going to use afterwards.

Pro2: I (personally) noticed that these type of 'pure' shampoo cleans better (or it could just be my OCD perceptions) and the dilution is more versatile depending on how dirty the surface is.

Just my own 2 cents worth.

Regards.

Usually detailers wont like shampoo with wax content in them...it may cause bonding issue with your detail spray or your topper or even to the extend during polishing..an example..for a regular well maintain vehicle that went for polishing..if I am the groomers..I wont like it because I have to strip the old waxes in order to have my own sealant to have the best result on the surface..in layman term..my polish wont be able to bite into paint..

Edited by Maddriver

Bro Yuan..not too sure about this but once awhile before polish and sealant i do use it to have the metal streaking feel..

I suppose it is too micro to really go and examine the paintwork..... [dizzy][laugh]

I think this is the main reason why most of the labels in car shampoo says NOT TO WASH UNDER THE SUN.

Kris..I think their reason is to avoid water dries up under the sun before you can dry them..once the water dries up under the sun..as we know oragnic or inorganic stuff will cause water spot/marks..so usually adviceable is to wash a cool car..

And it could be also once shampoo dries up..it left some streaks mark behind..

Neutral Newbie

Benny, I was thinking (and speculating) maybe while washing with these types of shampoo, the water would evaporate very quick leaving the wax residue/trails (like you said - streak marks)....but of course, minerals in the water itself could also play a big role.

Another thing that really bugs me with the Wash&Wax shampoo is they always tend to be uneven on the glasses - again, streak marks. I would imagine it could be the same on the paintwork, except that it's not so obvious.

Neutral Newbie

I suppose it is too micro to really go and examine the paintwork..... [dizzy][laugh]

erh...for normal car wash I really do not suggest that you using detergent. Stick to VFM shampoo like DG901. You can't go wrong with that.

Wat I'm doing is stripping the 476 I did on my aunt's car about 1 month ago. I recently got a xc3401 and I was trying to see the difference between xc3401 vs g220. [laugh]

erh...for normal car wash I really do not suggest that you using detergent. Stick to VFM shampoo like DG901. You can't go wrong with that.

Wat I'm doing is stripping the 476 I did on my aunt's car about 1 month ago. I recently got a xc3401 and I was trying to see the difference between xc3401 vs g220. [laugh]

wah bro..u super power la..no need to compare..u can advertise to sell yr G220 :D

↡ Advertisement