The Unstoppable Toyota Prius

Koolaba

Riding on the wave of 'unstoppable' Toyotas is the current generation Prius.

Toyota Prius brake complaints start pouring in

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110020324372/t...tart-pouring-in

With 'PedalGate' sweeping the globe, mounting reports are indicating the Toyota Prius is also affected by unintended acceleration - but faulty pedals and floor mats have nothing to do with it.

So far, about 100 complaints (two involving crashes) have been filed with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In Japan, the transport ministry has logged at least 14 complaints of acceleration-related problems with the Prius.

The case getting the most attention is Steve Wozniak's (Apple's co-founder) Prius. During a speech at the Discovery Forum, Wozniak said "I have many models of Prius that got recalled, but I have a new model that didn't get recalled. The new model has an accelerator that goes wild but only under certain conditions of cruise control. And I can repeat it over and over and over again safely." In a later interview with CNET, Wozniak stated "This is software. It's not a bad accelerator pedal. It's very scary, but luckily for me I can hit the brakes." Despite attempting to contact Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for three months, he was unable to get either organization to look for a software-related defect - until now.

The U.S. Department of Transportation has finally begun looking into a possible software glitch which could cause the Prius to accelerate unintentionally. According to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, "We're not finished with Toyota and are continuing to review possible defects and monitor the implementation of the recalls." While he didn't elaborate, several government sources have stated the review will include a look into possible electronic problems.

Despite the concern, Toyota is down-playing reports about a potential software problem. In an interview with Automotive News, Toyota spokesman John Hanson said "After many years of extensive testing, we've found no evidence of an electronic problem that could have contributed to unwanted acceleration. We've investigated many times and found no evidence to point to." His statement was echoed by Toyota's vice president of quality, Shinichi Sasaki, who added "We have not come across any case in which we have found a malfunction. But if any additional reports arise, we will conduct testing using all technology at our disposal."

However, many people aren't buying Toyota's explanation. Consumers have fled Toyota showrooms and the U.S. Congress has called the company to testify before the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee for investigations.

↡ Advertisement

1stly, Many Americans are not very honest when it comes to possible $ in legal claims.

Many times they will sue if they are able to.

Most lawyers don't get paid until they win the law suits but they are paid handsomely if they win.

If you drive a Prius and someone wants to claim Toyota for faulty Brake Pedal for the Million $, you will want to join in to get the traction... Now the case is made public and Toyota acknowleged - its a sure win thing...

There are videos showing people run up a Bus after it was involved in an Accident. They want to get money out of it.

A woman got $$$ millions from McDonald's when her cup of coffee spilled on her thighs in a Drive thru. She "din" know its hot.. (Look at all the cups you will know how this came about).

USA - a Nation of Suers...

The previous generation Prius is known to have unintended acceleration problems. It's surprising the Prius is not in the recall list, although some have suspected that the problem was caused by electronic glitches and not the pedals or floormats.

Anyway, Toyota has a culture of cover-ups to maintain their reputation of reliability. Glad to see the backlash finally biting them back in their collective asses.

Today Straits Times also has reported this brake issue on the prius. But this time round it's the Japanese Government that is asking toyota to 'wake up' and investigate the problem.

100 complaints from US and Japan about brake pedals not working...

How about the rest?

Now u see, today advert from BM "MIT Toyota is best Quality" .. :D

That is the problem with too many electronic and software put into a car....mechanical car will have less problem....cos it is easier to retify the problem. This is what I think so don't flame me.

That is the problem with too many electronic and software put into a car....mechanical car will have less problem....cos it is easier to retify the problem. This is what I think so don't flame me.

That's true, way too much dependency on electronics. For fancy hybrids and electrics, even more so. Critical actions like throttle, gear change, steering, even braking, etc have to ask the ECU for permission first. ECU kee-siao, you're screwed.

In the old days, a mechanic can 'see and touch' the problem. Now, you need a computer science degree just to open the hood. Given a choice, I'll stick with an old fashioned cranky manual transmission/brake system over the latest high tech DSG, crap-tronic toy cars.

LOL! I like the thread header...yes Toyota Prius is unstoppable! [:p]

Why? Because it is the only full-hybrid car in production that always outsell and out perform all other hybrids in the saloon/hatchback class. One interesting relevant-ion is how those 100 complaints had not result in fatality, yet.

Are the complains valid? Could be.

What the the complain details about the brake? Not fully available.

But, there is a known braking behavior unque to regenerative brake system: That is one, when going over port holes or humps, may experience momentarily lost of braking sensation when the system switch from regen-brake to friction-brake. Some blame on over-sensitive VCS or ABS, while others says it could be related to driver experience.

What is interesting is most of the 100 complaint occur during recent extreme winter season in the northern hemisphere.

Toyota has confirmed the Prius brake complain is related to software problem.

According to Toyota's managing officer, Hiroyuki Yokoyama, investigation had found a programming control conflict between the anti-lock brake system (ABS) and regenerative braking.

He said "We have redesigned the ABS system for the new generation Prius starting this January and we will let those who already own a Prius what step to take. As a carmaker, we will take certain steps to explain the problem to our customers. An official announcement will be made shortly," Toyota executive Hiroyuki Yokohama said, according to Automarket.

He also added : "This issue shows that we may have fallen short of the standards expected of us by our customers."

This is consistent with some Prius owner assumption that this is more of a software rather than mechanical issue.

I expect a new recall for 2010 Prius very shortly to fix the software problem.

I wonder how they recall the cars? Do they expect the owner to drive the potentially dangerous brake problem or pedal problem cars to the toyota agent? Or the agent has to come down and collect?

Its funny,

I see BMW forum overseas also complain of engine sudden shut down. OR enginer reduced power suddenly.

I see many other cars also got issues.

Maybe those issues did not lead to death, so the issues are non issues.

Seems like Toyota did not write in sufficient safety codes in their ECU programme.

Shut down engine is better than a runaway engine for sure!

Toyota should just follow the conti cars, make it hard to tune the engine or even change the HU or light bulbs.

This way, there will not be aftermarket Hi-fi installation, or electrical installations of equipments on toyota cars which might affect the electronics!

Also Toyota should insist voiding warranty for installing different Hi-fi, tyres, etc in their cars like what the conti cars imposed!

This way can Tai-chi the blame to illegal mods on the car for causing the accidents!

So will Toyota leylong their car cheaper in SIngapore?

I think we need kaypo and kiasi car buyers to have loose talks to the salesman in BM showroom.

Give the impression that the general mood that car buyersin Singapore are apprehensive of buying from toyota.

Soon....we might have cheaper toyota cars from BM.....hugh discount perhaps!

What you guys think....can get Toyota wish at $70k this weekends?

Software.

Download from Internet and double-click the exe file....er...provided it's not M$. [laugh]

Kia also will offer M$ in the future ... Just imagine u start ur ICE system and the message pop up " This copy of microsoft software is not genuine.." pengz

lol

↡ Advertisement