Do you give parents Ang Bao for CNY?

Green_carnation

i change abt $600...then hand to wifey lah

thanks dude, i change 500 this time. should be enough to give all the relative's children. i like the feel and smell of crisp new notes, they make you feel good.

↡ Advertisement

my family tradition is to give before the CNY so parents can have money to spend on new year stuff and also reunion dinner. On actual NY day, used to be a token sum for 'good fortune'.

But since married and wife's side got diff practice of giving bigger angpow to parents on NY day, I also give to my parents same same....but my parents always 'return' it in form of angpow to my children :D

yes once I start working give my parents liao, till now.

But than they will still give me also, till now. So if want to talk about $$ value, all even out.

So it's really not how much or should we give even if we are not married etc etc... It's the thoughts that counts.

To them CNY is a very important festival for the family, and giving them a Ang Bao shows that you have grown up, and they will be happy.

happy New Year, and Huat ah!

Just to check.. married or not do you give ang bao to your parents for CNY? Some said only if married then can give ang bao.. but does that apply to giving parents ang bao?

Of coz...even b4 married. Once out to work...i start giving le...

To me there is no question about it, Ang Bao must give and must be the biggest of all Ang Baos that I give out. The debt owed to them, monetary or otherwise, this lifetime also cannot pay back in full.

Just to check.. married or not do you give ang bao to your parents for CNY? Some said only if married then can give ang bao.. but does that apply to giving parents ang bao?

Dig up old thread...

I'm gonna use these to give me parents this year. Made of fabric. Quite cool [cool]

post-2256-1326985824_thumb.jpg

Strictly by tradition is no need to give ang bao to anyone if not married. Just collect. :D

Then again, once you start working, you may want to consider giving your parents as a token of appreciation for their efforts in bringing you up lor. I did the same thing, ie. gave them ang bao when i started working. Same experience as some bros, my parents will give me back cos' i was then still single, so tradition requires them to give me. After that, we will play mahjong as a family (my dad, mom, bro and i), in which i will surely kena bao a couple of times by each of my parents...... [laugh]

After married, give already no more take back... play mahjong oso no need intentionally kena bao liao. But must tarek when i win too much. [laugh]

Eventually, it boils down to what you think will bring them joy lah. If its your own parents, i'm quite certain it is not the money. If its in-laws, then i cannot say liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement