Do you give parents Ang Bao for CNY?

Green_carnation

Only give to grandparents. Then we do the "need-no need-need-no need" routine [laugh]

My grandparents (when they were alive) will take from me, pass to my two kids together with their own. So each of my kids get 2 angpows from my grandparents.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

It's a custom in my family for working children/grandchildren to give ang pow to parents and grandparents..

Token sum will do, since my family is HUGE and grandma has 30+ grandchildren.. [laugh]

• Praise 1

hmm so actually quite many pp actually will give parents ang bao.. cos heard pp said if not married no need to give.. which i think not so right..

No need give.. provided if you been given them monthly allowance lah..

Before marriage, dun usually give because you give a sum monthly for their expenses.

After marriage, if you dun stay with and give them significately lower or no allowance.. then give during CNY. If you give them good amt before CNY, then of course ang bao is small... If you dun need to given them $$ for CNY, then give big big as ang pao lah...

Neutral Newbie

considered average nia in mcf.

many told me especially wifey what i used to give is way too much.

what is a good amount to give then?

The giving og ang bao to the old folks means alot to them. They really appreciate the well wishes given them.. So for me it's a must.

• Praise 1

does anyone know if we(already married) need to give ang baos for our ELDER cousin who r not married? some pple say yes n some pple says no.... so i'm not sure which is which.

Please advise...

I give each parent $1000 each.... they in turn save it in this joint account they have started for me since I was a kid.... so ultimately, it becomes like additional savings cuz all the money in that account will come to me eventually.

I give each parent $1000 each.... they in turn save it in this joint account they have started for me since I was a kid.... so ultimately, it becomes like additional savings cuz all the money in that account will come to me eventually.

Left pocket out, right pocket in. :D

Just to check.. married or not do you give ang bao to your parents for CNY? Some said only if married then can give ang bao.. but does that apply to giving parents ang bao?

Should give to Parents once come out society to work.

I will cultivate my children next time as well.

万事如意!

• Praise 1

Should give to Parents once come out society to work.

I will cultivate my children next time as well.

万事如意!

yeah.. it's quite sad that ppl need to come to forum to check out if it is neccessary for them to give to their parents.

We give to our kids whatever we could afford. Buy toys , buy clothes for them... Send them to classes they may not need... even move house so that they could go to the best school.

But when it comes to parents, given or not give ang pao need to ask forum... and see if others are doing so.. How much also need to discuss , check market rate.... *sigh* Give also in view that they will give you back... :| if my parents is going to deposit back into my account.. I will buy something really expensive.. for them instead.

Edited by Jrage
  • Praise 1

I changed $500, last year still got leftover, new notes changed few thousands also nvm, its still money.

Anyway i give $300 each to my parents, for heng heng.

Turbocharged

Of course must give parents. Also elder siblings who are also not married.

Just to check.. married or not do you give ang bao to your parents for CNY? Some said only if married then can give ang bao.. but does that apply to giving parents ang bao?

↡ Advertisement