Any Poly Lecturers can help a student???

Thargor

I have a degree in engineering from ntu. I started out as an engineer... along the way I picked up a MBA and CFA and ACCA ( level 1 only though)

You have a CFA??? Why the h3ll aren't you at Goldman Sachs?

Hi all,

Need a big fav...a former student of mine just got his poly posting....and he got the most ill-fitted course...manufacturing engineering. He has absolutely ZERO interest in it and since young, he has always dream of being an accountant.

Can someone, preferably a poly lecturer pls help....he will like to swap course to maybe business enterprise IT or the likes. He has 18 points for 5 subjects.

Unless no choice, it doesn't really make sense to make a promising young man take on a course which he will never pursue in future. He is thinking about taking night classes (on business/accountacy) after his day poly lessons.

A young man should be allowed to pursue his dreams. Please advise!

Cheers!

Thargor

Eh bro, dun call manufacturing engineering ill fitted leh. Everything mass produced from iphone all the way to your car is all under manufacturing engrg.

Looks more like your ex student look up the wrong person. :D

IMO dun go and stereotype the courses students take up lah. Nowadays one cert can't get you places to do what you want.

Eh bro, dun call manufacturing engineering ill fitted leh. Everything mass produced from iphone all the way to your car is all under manufacturing engrg.

Looks more like your ex student look up the wrong person. :D

IMO dun go and stereotype the courses students take up lah. Nowadays one cert can't get you places to do what you want.

Bro...it's ill fitted for my former student...as in poor fit for him based on his aspirations and dreams.

This student really sure he wants to do accountancy due to his interest?? In my experience, at that age, most of them still very unsure what they want to do for a long-term job!

Most here shun engineering studies because of the perceived workload, or feelings of inferiority in handling science and maths. That's okay, but then don't mistakenly think that business studies or accountancy and the like are a breeze - these can be equally demanding in terms of workload and intellectual depth...

Bro...it's ill fitted for my former student...as in poor fit for him based on his aspirations and dreams.

so what is his dream exactly? to be an auditor? an accountant?

so from young he like to debit credit and do amortisation?

so what is his dream exactly? to be an auditor? an accountant?

so from young he like to debit credit and do amortisation?

no...con ppl and run away with $7mil [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

A bit too late IMO. If he had kept his aspirations & dreams in mind and worked harder, he would have gotten his ideal course. Now you can only advise him to either retake to get better cut off point or look for alternative route like ITE.

If he retake, make sure he got motivation to score better otherwise waste that one year. If he knows he cannot study on his own dan opt for ITE spent 2 years better dan waste 1 year getting nowhere. If can get merit in ITE he can even skip one year in poly.

Dun waste time looking for poly lecturers to help him. If he is struggling with his grades now, he will struggle even more in poly. ITE will prep him and he can score better when he enroll into poly and maybe eventually uni. It's a longer route but still higher chance of getting there. A lot of ppl think ITE is not good but it actually helped a lot of ppl whose grades were not so good in the beginning. Can't go wrong.

Why die die must study that poly?

So many external degree course to chose from.

You think lecturer can kelong and help meh? Dont sabo the lacturers lah.

They dare not break the rule and get into trouble one lah.

You dont know meh? there are employer out there that dispites course that are not from governement. you should vist stomp more often.

Also i got 1 friend who father is a friend of the poly principle i went to. His grade was like 20+ points. Also appeal to account course through the father.

A bit too late IMO. If he had kept his aspirations & dreams in mind and worked harder, he would have gotten his ideal course. Now you can only advise him to either retake to get better cut off point or look for alternative route like ITE.

If he retake, make sure he got motivation to score better otherwise waste that one year. If he knows he cannot study on his own dan opt for ITE spent 2 years better dan waste 1 year getting nowhere. If can get merit in ITE he can even skip one year in poly.

Dun waste time looking for poly lecturers to help him. If he is struggling with his grades now, he will struggle even more in poly. ITE will prep him and he can score better when he enroll into poly and maybe eventually uni. It's a longer route but still higher chance of getting there. A lot of ppl think ITE is not good but it actually helped a lot of ppl whose grades were not so good in the beginning. Can't go wrong.

Ok lah...I advise him to just take whatever poly course he's been offered in the end and get a dip first...in the meanwhile consider taking part time CAT...if he is really keen on accountacy, at most he take a longer route (1 or 2 yrs more) to reach it. Most importantly, I ask him to consult his parents.

His parents should be able to afford to send him overseas for studies after his NS....so a dip cert will do more for him than ITE.

Not that I look down on ITE cert...but I think if money is no issue, there are other routes he can consider. Yes it's unfair but money do give you a headstart. Thats why I am saving up after my baby girl arrive....so that I can afford to send her to overseas for studies next time.

can he handle juggling 2 very different subjects at a time?

i think if he lazy type, he should start focusing only on one.

dont juggle 2 subjects at a time and then end up failing both subjects.

he should know if he can take the stress =P

anyway engineering and accounts both also very good.

economy down, no need scared no job.

if he chooses private school for accounting, i recommend FTC Kaplan.

the lecturers there really try to help you pass.

cause their bonus depends on the class pass rate hahhaa.

SAA will be my last choice because of the venue.

Turbocharged

ACCA is a recognised route but it is not an easy course to pass and exel. Those who do are usually very technically strong in their fundamentals. Then you will need to develop the other parts (professoinally) to fit into the working world as being technically strong only will not give up the leg up. At most, just another bean counter who will not add value to the co except closing the books on time.

I truly wonder why this is his childhood dream. Most have aspirations to be in the more visible line eg doctor, engineer, pilot, fire man, sell chicken rice etc. Accountant is a support role at best. All back end work just like the computer programmer is until he became sexy (and sometimes rich) in the dotcom world.

He likes punching calculators?

no...con ppl and run away with $7mil [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

$7 million where got enought [laugh] [laugh] must being down multi billion company then consider good [cool]

can a diploma holder be an acountant?

maybe an account assistant...

go for A level and get into U.

otherwise, u still have to get a degree after diploma.

nowadays, no min degree even mba is tough.

by the time he gets into the work force, tough, tough, tough.... [bigcry]

Turbocharged

Or is it he mistook Account Executive for Accounts Executive? One S missing is a hell of a difference. [laugh]

Account Exec got lots of chiobu selling things.

Accounts Exec got many lau auntie punching calculators.

Ok lah...I advise him to just take whatever poly course he's been offered in the end and get a dip first...in the meanwhile consider taking part time CAT...if he is really keen on accountacy, at most he take a longer route (1 or 2 yrs more) to reach it. Most importantly, I ask him to consult his parents.

His parents should be able to afford to send him overseas for studies after his NS....so a dip cert will do more for him than ITE.

Not that I look down on ITE cert...but I think if money is no issue, there are other routes he can consider. Yes it's unfair but money do give you a headstart. Thats why I am saving up after my baby girl arrive....so that I can afford to send her to overseas for studies next time.

I think we should not underestimate the young boy. I was posted to science stream for dun know what reason, having good time in jc for 1 year and failed the papers, then go to principle and told him I want to do commerce.

Do not waste further time doing what he didn't want and then do part time for another course... how to enjoy and fully utilize his potential? go for private sch if can afford.

yes, accountancy is quite a sh*tty job but once you get to the top, you have most of the things under your view which makes the job not so narrow in the end.

Edited by Jman888

Who the h3ll dreams of being an accountant????

Anyway, if that's his real dream, he would already have taken steps of his own volition to find out how to achieve his dream. Sounds like he's just a dreamer and not a hard worker.

TS, do him a favour, ask him to WAKE UP FROM HIS DREAM!!!!

[laugh] u do know that there are quite a few accountants and auditors in this forum right?

↡ Advertisement