Ferrari designs wheel nut for fast pitstops

Blackseal

Ferrari has designed a new wheel nut in an effort to win F1's 2010 pitstop race.

With in-race refuelling not allowed this year for the first time since 1993, Williams hinted recently that tyre pitstops in 2010 could be as short as sub-three seconds.

Spain's El Pais newspaper reports that Ferrari has responded to the challenge by designing a cone-shaped nut that integrates better with the wheel gun.

The nut also features the automatic triggering of its fastener, where previously it needed to be pulled manually by a mechanic.

"We have worked over the winter to speed up the process of changing tyres," said designer Nikolas Tombazis.

post-34373-1266609988_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

i think these conical wheel nuts will help but to the extent of winning races? maybe not that great.. shaving off 1 second per pit stop is possible i guess, but lap times still count.

i think these conical wheel nuts will help but to the extent of winning races? maybe not that great.. shaving off 1 second per pit stop is possible i guess, but lap times still count.

1sec is a MASSIVE difference in F1...... Even 0.5sec makes a big difference. Its sufficient to determine if you exit the pit in front or behind another car.....

And that can determine whether you win or lose a race.

In F1, everything counts. From lap times to pit strategies.

You'll be surprised !

the only problem is soon, every other team will also use the same type of wheel nut. if there's a second they can save, they damn well will use it.

the only problem is soon, every other team will also use the same type of wheel nut. if there's a second they can save, they damn well will use it.

At least Ferrari can claim they are the "nut" innovator [laugh]

They can shave off 1 second by using a conical nut, but they'd better watch the hose to avoid losing 1 minute.

Ha ha....I know what u are referring to [laugh]

They can shave off 1 second by using a conical nut, but they'd better watch the hose to avoid losing 1 minute.

this year, no refueling liao..so no need for hose..