Maintenance of Korean Car

Jtmk

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bro,

I'm changing car soon, thinking of switching to korean brand.

Wish to hear some feed back from you guys if korean cars are easily maintain in a long run as compare to the like of Toyota & Honda?

Are parts easily available after many years if I choose to keep the car for long long time.

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

Can't really answer for the Korean Automatic transmission but for the Manual Transmission Koreans , I have driven the Daewoo till scrap and currently am driving a 5 year old Hyundai Accent. Both were owned since new and with regular maintence like oil change, timing belt, air filter, aircon filter etc.

Parts for Daewoo/Chev is available - can even get used or similar parts from opel. The Daewoo being a GM/Opel design inherent to Opel. Aircon is not as cold but can be modified.

The maintence of current Hyundai Accent is even better than the Daewoo - it's lower/cheaper maintenance. Currently just clock past it's 150K km.

However, do note that there are issues like car that's 'lemon' (most brands have them), some vibrations/sound due to age. The things that I have learned are to read up, google in forums, weigh the pros vs cons and learn to DIY some things like changing air and aircon filter, replace bulbs, even use the online Hyundai service manuals etc.

Cheers

Dont worry abt Korean car parts. They are easily available.

Even if u dont go back to authorized dealers for regular servicing, u can get the parts from stockists and go to reputed workshops recommended in forums for servicing.

Major wear and tear parts for Hyundai are relatively affordable if u get from stockists.

Its the same if u go for Jap cars, but most Jap parts will cost slightly more than Korean

Cheers

Korean car parts easily available and less pricey compared to Japanese. You can always go to a shop just next to Tokyo Motors in Race Course Road. They are selling Mobis's parts. Mobis is the aftermarket arm or Mando and Mando is supplying parts directly to the car manufacturers. In another word... you are getting OEM parts at aftermarket prices. Good bargain.

Supersonic

Lots of Korean parts available cheaply. :D

The only downside is probably lack of aftermarket performance parts as compared to Jap brands.

If you're not into that, then you miss nothing.

Korean cars are not complicated and can be serviced cheaply anywhere, even in JB.

Hi Bro,

I'm changing car soon, thinking of switching to korean brand.

Wish to hear some feed back from you guys if korean cars are easily maintain in a long run as compare to the like of Toyota & Honda?

Are parts easily available after many years if I choose to keep the car for long long time.

==============

I drove the Hyundai Excel 1.5 Auto for almost 10 years b4. (1989-1999)

No problems at all. I only changed the ATF in the autobox once in the 10 years & it still did not give any problems.

Spareparts can get from local stockists but those >10 years old might have a problem with spares as the scrapyards dont carry Korean 2nd hand parts.

U can still get from agent but prices of parts wil b higher.

my matrix is close to 7 years ...auto gear box still good,just need regular servicing and changing of auto gear fuild

u can tahan the impossible fuel consumption of matrix?

[shocked] [shocked] [shocked]

=============

That was my 1st auto car so was not sure about the ATF. [grin]

I just did a DIY drain & fill of the ATF about halfway in its life & it still did not have any problems.

I tell u that car was damm solid, but I dont recommend going to the agent for anything.

I tried them once & they did a proper screw-up on the repairs & service. [sweatdrop]

I never went back there again. I use a small OMO ws & he has done 3 cars now for me & all have been trouble free. Been using him for about 15 years already. [thumbsup]

how much do you guys (korean car owners) spend on maintainence per month?

=============

Korean cars & Jap cars r about the same.

But if any car u send to agent, then wil b very ex. Outside ws is always much cheaper.

Example. I just serviced my Optra (Korean/Thai car) today. Oil filter is $4. Synthetic oil is abt $20 ($6/lit). Labour is $20.

So there it is. $44 for a service. If add plugs (once every 20K km) is $16 more. Air filter every 40K km is abt $10 more.

So is that cheap enough?

If I go agent, a simple service is almost $100 already. Dont tok about those major service which wil b like $800. [dizzy][sweatdrop][knife][bigcry]

are korean cars more fuel efficient these days compared to japan cars? toyota?

==============

korean & Jap have about the same Fc but usually Jap is slightly better.

Maybe cos Korean car use heavier sheet metal for the body & technology is slightly behind.

Neutral Newbie
anyone can guide me of my dad's matrix dashboard appears look to be a engine logo. Done for servicing. After a frequent drive,the logo re-appear again. Komoco service technicians mention have to be the chip of the engine. Hmmm.

anyone can guide me of my dad's matrix dashboard appears look to be a engine logo. Done for servicing. After a frequent drive,the logo re-appear again. Komoco service technicians mention have to be the chip of the engine. Hmmm.

==================

There is some fault with the engine. If the light comes on & off cud also b a sensor or ECU fault.

The service tech sud b able to tap into the on board computer & see what is causing the engine light to come on.

As long as its not a major fault, the engine wil not shut down.

Sometimes it wud b better to get a 2nd opinion from another reliable workshop cos sometimes those mech anyhow hantam cos they also damm blur.

Do not tell the 2nd workshop anything. Just let them diagnose & see what they have to say.

Neutral Newbie

May i knw how long should we change the timing belt ? i just bought a 2nd hand Kia Cerato 1.6. with mileage 75,000 km but i am not sure whether the previous owner had changed it b4 or not. How bout the cost for tat ?

↡ Advertisement