Front/rear component speakers, why not?

Imaginary

Was previously advised by audio shops that it's better to just install component speakers at the front and the leave the rear ones stock, or change them to coaxials.

Can anyone comment if this is better? Why not have front and rear component speakers?

↡ Advertisement

I think this has to do with imaging. You normally want to know the direction and placement of the instrument (guitar source, singer etc). Having rear component will mess up the imaging. the rear speakers is more for filling up the rear for the rear passenger which is most cases, is not of any importance to the car owner (normaly the driver).

I think this has to do with imaging. You normally want to know the direction and placement of the instrument (guitar source, singer etc). Having rear component will mess up the imaging. the rear speakers is more for filling up the rear for the rear passenger which is most cases, is not of any importance to the car owner (normaly the driver).

oh i see. so rear speakers should just stick to coaxials?

oh i see. so rear speakers should just stick to coaxials?

Stick to stock or if you want something better, change to coaxials. I know of people who just disconnect the rear stock speakers so that they will not mess up the sound... :)

Stick to stock or if you want something better, change to coaxials. I know of people who just disconnect the rear stock speakers so that they will not mess up the sound... :)

Hmm.. means only the driver and front passenger will enjoy the music?

I thought installing rear components would give clear audio quality to the rear passengers too...

I thought installing rear components would give clear audio quality to the rear passengers too...

yes, you're right. Unless you're rich or always carry rear passengers who you consider as important, else no point having clear audio quality for the rear.

Supercharged

i rather you go for 4 channel amp, overall it mean front and rear objective.

but a front component is really shiok. and ICE is really addictive.

example:

i change front component,

2 din HU

then add 4 amp...

shiong.. taking the fact that each project require to pay labour fee...

$40 each.. a total of $120.

as told by someone in forum, if you intend to go for ICE.

change everything at a go to save cost and haste.

Firstly, are you planning to have any amps?

Why? Because component speakers all will require at least 75w to drive them properly depending on brand but almost all will require about that about of power. Stock head unit all produce about 22w at best. Any HU in the market will not produce more than that. Don't believe that Mosfet 55w rating, that's just peak power which you will never reach constantly.

Secondly, how big a car are you driving? Sedan? MPV? Alphad?

Why? Imagine at hom,you have a mini compo or any AV setup or even your regular TV set speakers. I'm sure they either smaller than 6.5" or similar in size. How big is your living room compared to your car size? Do you need additional speakers in the rear because your family can't hear? (Not talking about 5.1 systems, just regular stereo) I believe in most cases, the standard TV small speakers is sufficient for watchin TV for the whole family in the living room. So why does the car, smaller in size, require 2 sets of component speakers? You mean the 6.5" speakers in the front can't play loud enough for the rear passengers to listen?

Thirdly, yes, it's partly to do with imaging. Imagine going for a concert or any performance, the singers/musicians are all in front of you. so all the sound that you are hearing is coming from the front. Having component speakers in the rear as well, they too will play exactly the same thing as the front speakers. So what you will get IS...singing from front+rear,instruments from front+rear at the same time, doesn't sound correct right?

And IF you're going to play the front so soft only the front can hear and the rear so soft only the rear can hear, then aren't you better off just playing the front alone louder so the whole car can hear? Unless you're drivin a big car like Estima or Alphad then yes sometimes it makes sense to have speakers in the rear for the extreme rear passengers in the third row because in order for them to hear what's coming from the front you'll need to ont he front much louder and by dong that the front passengers will not tahan the volume :)

Lastly, save $$ :) Spend it on an amp to drive the front so you will be able to project the sound properly to the whole car and not use the stock Head Unit to try to drive 2 set of component speakers. they won't sound "correct" with not enough juice driving them...

Makes sense? If not, then just go for ICE meetups in some ICE forums that have meetups...SGCaraudio.net/MyCarForum is one such forum that meetup twice a week, both forums consists of the same group of ICE enthusiasts that wil be more than happy to explain and demonstrate to you what we mean.

Firstly, are you planning to have any amps?

Why? Because component speakers all will require at least 75w to drive them properly depending on brand but almost all will require about that about of power. Stock head unit all produce about 22w at best. Any HU in the market will not produce more than that. Don't believe that Mosfet 55w rating, that's just peak power which you will never reach constantly.

Hi, u sound like u know wat u toking abt. So just wanna ask u for some thoughts. i getting my forte koup next week. i am carrying over my Focal component spkrs from my current car over to replace the front stock speakers.

My next step i m tinking of getting an active sub (those flat type one that can put under chair) and coax for the rear and a 4 channel amp (probably Hertz EP4X). Total will cost me about $900.

But my audio shop said i should replace the stock HU with a Pioneer 2 DIN HU instead of getting the Hertz amp, coax spkrs and subwoofer. The rationale is the stock HU is lousy so even if downstream is good also no use. But when i listen to the stock system in showroom the sound is actually not bad just the highs sound a bit muffled. The thing is that the Pioneer HU alone is like $1,300 and this is before the cost of braket for 2DIN HU to replace the stock HU. I will still have my focal component spkrs in front but the rear will be stock (i m not even sure there are rear stock spkrs) and no sub woofer.

Between the 2 choices, which do u tink is the better way for me to go?

Hi, u sound like u know wat u toking abt. So just wanna ask u for some thoughts. i getting my forte koup next week. i am carrying over my Focal component spkrs from my current car over to replace the front stock speakers.

My next step i m tinking of getting an active sub (those flat type one that can put under chair) and coax for the rear and a 4 channel amp (probably Hertz EP4X). Total will cost me about $900.

But my audio shop said i should replace the stock HU with a Pioneer 2 DIN HU instead of getting the Hertz amp, coax spkrs and subwoofer. The rationale is the stock HU is lousy so even if downstream is good also no use. But when i listen to the stock system in showroom the sound is actually not bad just the highs sound a bit muffled. The thing is that the Pioneer HU alone is like $1,300 and this is before the cost of braket for 2DIN HU to replace the stock HU. I will still have my focal component spkrs in front but the rear will be stock (i m not even sure there are rear stock spkrs) and no sub woofer.

Correct to a certain extent but then, when it come to ICE, it really depends on how far, or how much you want to spend.

If you change to aftermarket, you might lose the functions and "look" that came with the car.

and how different will the sound quality when you change to a aftermarket one?

If you are going to spend another K or so on HU, why not consider sound processor instead.

If you have your goal in mind, then go one shot, if not, go in stages but you will spend more on installation.

Maybe start on basic stuff, component for the front with amp, an active sub if space is a constraint.

active sub can either be under seat where steelmate is the norm or a pioneer at the boot.

Correct to a certain extent but then, when it come to ICE, it really depends on how far, or how much you want to spend.

If you change to aftermarket, you might lose the functions and "look" that came with the car.

and how different will the sound quality when you change to a aftermarket one?

If you are going to spend another K or so on HU, why not consider sound processor instead.

If you have your goal in mind, then go one shot, if not, go in stages but you will spend more on installation.

Maybe start on basic stuff, component for the front with amp, an active sub if space is a constraint.

active sub can either be under seat where steelmate is the norm or a pioneer at the boot.

Yes i agree with the "look" part cos de stock HU is the same red colour as the climate control and the dashboard meters. If change to double DIN will be difernt already (although it should be noted the double din HU can usually change colour and red is one of the option although may not be the exact same red. But for double DIN HU i can fix reverse cam and feed direct to the 7" screen.

i have not heard much abt sound processor but it will be an external module right? i am hesitant to add "clutter" to my dashboard console. anyway the HU already has basic processor on board to adjust bass, mid & treble.

Also, i listen 99% to radio so radio sound quality already somewhat compromised as reception is also an issue.

Neutral Newbie

This is better for sound staging for the front occupants.

As woofers are typically placed in the boot, the time delay between high, mid and bass is better.

I would actually recommend you totally disconnect the rear if you run an active system with woofer

Yes i agree with the "look" part cos de stock HU is the same red colour as the climate control and the dashboard meters. If change to double DIN will be difernt already (although it should be noted the double din HU can usually change colour and red is one of the option although may not be the exact same red. But for double DIN HU i can fix reverse cam and feed direct to the 7" screen.

i have not heard much abt sound processor but it will be an external module right? i am hesitant to add "clutter" to my dashboard console. anyway the HU already has basic processor on board to adjust bass, mid & treble.

Also, i listen 99% to radio so radio sound quality already somewhat compromised as reception is also an issue.

Like i said, it's your call to how much u want to do and change...

if you can find sufficient reason to change your HU, go ahead..

and no, a processor do more than adjust your bass or treble.. :D

[laugh]

dun forget to soundproof your doors

audio shops may not have the best interest of the customer when recommending products. they are doing biz and have to make profits out of you. why not attend some ice meetups? at such gathering, people will not be thinking of making profits. they are more likely able to recommend you something from the bottom of their heart.

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros,

Sorry to borrow this thread cos not enough postings to start a new one. I have some issue with my ICE setup. I hope some gurus can help me to indentify the root cause.

I have a JVC KW-AVX726 HU, a set of component for front and coaxial speakers for rear, 8" active subwoofer and a 2ch Amp installed under the front passenger seat and a set of RCA cables for front component and subwoofer.

The HU have Output Terminals (Line x 1 pair + Subwoofer + Composite Video) and a Fader function. Currently I am facing an issue that I can't fade out my rear speakers from the HU. As I fade to the front, both front and rear speakers volume become softer but when I fade out to the rear, front and rear speaker volume remain same. Is there a mistake on my cable connections?

↡ Advertisement