80% of BMW 1 Series owners think their car is FWD

Blackseal

No, this isn't a joke. Really. Automotive News reports that BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer shared this statistic during a call with analysts last week. It is unclear where this information came from within BMW, but it still comes as a staggering surprise that 80 (eighty!) percent of 1 Series owners believe that they are living with front-wheel drive.

As we reported earlier, BMW is planning to bring front-wheel-drive vehicles to market in the near future, and the automaker is worried that it might confuse customers by adding these new products to the rear-drive-only lineup.

Guess not.

We firmly believe that all current 1 Series owners who think their car is front-wheel drive should hand over their keys immediately... to us.

post-34373-1269371653_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

does that mean the RWD is not that good or obvious such that people can differentiate easily?

So if 80% cant feel it, might as well change the car to FWD... wont make any diff and the car will be cheaper?

Edited by Chrispie

Neutral Newbie

Guess these 80% are first time car owners.. Or their butt aint that sensitive hahaha...

Prefer RWD over FWD.. The push & pull effect I called it..

i bet 80% of the ppl driving in SG also cannot tell their car is what wheel drive if not informed

I bet they think the exhaust gas power their cars...machiam like jumbo jets [laugh]

This is just one justification for BMW to come out with a front wheel drive car!

Good...ultimate driving machine my foot.......just brand blind.

This is just one justification for BMW to come out with a front wheel drive car!

time to sell yr BMW then.

And what car you are saying that u just brought?

Well...I buy the BMW because of its image.

I did not say the 50:50 or RWD or power is what I like about the car.

The truth is when I drive at below 120km/hr on SIngapore road in a straight line or the usual singapore road, I cannot tell the advantage of RWD or 50:50 kind of thing.

The few cars i have driven once a while turns and tracks equally well on the same dry road.

Never experience those "confident sure grip", balance chassis, RWD balanced, etc...so called marketing sales tok kok stuff.

Maybe it might be felt by some with keen backside. Not me.

A BMW, SSS, S14, Golf, S-class.....drives the same on the road.

Only difference felt is the silence and power and engine smoothness of the different cars.

Edited by Leepee

Well...I buy the BMW because of its image.

I did not say the 50:50 or RWD or power is what I like about the car.

The truth is when I drive at below 120km/hr on SIngapore road in a straight line or the usual singapore road, I cannot tell the advantage of RWD or 50:50 kind of thing.

The few cars i have driven defore just turn and track equally well on the dry road.

Never experience those "sure grip", balance chassis, RWD balanced, etc...so called marketing sales tok kok stuff.

Maybe it might be felt by some with keen backside. Not me.

A BMW, SSS, S14, Golf.....drives the same on the road.

Only difference felt is the silence and power and engine smoothness of the different cars.

not really....it depends on the person to differentiate the drive of the cars...

Edited by Ithunk

No, this isn't a joke. Really. Automotive News reports that BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer shared this statistic during a call with analysts last week. It is unclear where this information came from within BMW, but it still comes as a staggering surprise that 80 (eighty!) percent of 1 Series owners believe that they are living with front-wheel drive.

As we reported earlier, BMW is planning to bring front-wheel-drive vehicles to market in the near future, and the automaker is worried that it might confuse customers by adding these new products to the rear-drive-only lineup.

Guess not.

We firmly believe that all current 1 Series owners who think their car is front-wheel drive should hand over their keys immediately... to us.

===========

They go for the 1st time car buyer market or those 1st time BMW buyer cos its the cheapest BMW & company hope pple wil then upgrade to the bigger models as they go along.

Anyway the car is underpowered/overweight & u cant really benefit from the RWD layout.

Now VW & Audi make better & cheaper cars then BMW. But I guess buying the BMW badge still has that appeal to many who associate it with luxury cars.

But then again driving in SG is nothing exciting so maybe it is suited to slow driving in SG. Can hog the right lane of eways at 90kmh & still feel shiok & refuse to give way to "lesser" jap makes. But all said, the feel of it still is better than many tom yam cars here. A bit of cheap luxury I guess. [drivingcar]

Many car owners here dont know much about their cars. They just buy based on "what they heard". Maybe thats why Toyota is still a best seller. [laugh]

Many dont even know their Toyota is made in Thai even. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement