Hyundai has a smart way to save fuel

Greatsingapore

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/live/articl...ay-to-save-fuel

Hyundai has a Smart way to save fuel

In the battle for fuel economy, every little bit helps. By either diverting or capturing energy during optimal times, Hyundai saves some gasoline with its Smart Alternator Control.

Alternators, which run off the engine, produce the power needed to operate the car

↡ Advertisement

Hyundai i45 2.4L IL4 with 6AT -> 198bhp/249Nm.

Toyota Camry 2.4L IL4 with 5AT -> 167bhp/224Nm.

Both rides are 2.4L cars.

See the difference? 31bhp/25Nm.

Hyundai R&D is really fast.~

Great job!~

Neutral Newbie

Hyundai i45 2.4L IL4 with 6AT -> 198bhp/249Nm.

Toyota Camry 2.4L IL4 with 5AT -> 167bhp/224Nm.

Both rides are 2.4L cars.

See the difference? 31bhp/25Nm.

Hyundai R&D is really fast.~

Great job!~

Unfortunately the i45 sold locally is the non GDI version, not the one that produces 198bhp and which has been getting rave reviews on its fuel economy (some getting 40mpg) in the US

Unfortunately the i45 sold locally is the non GDI version, not the one that produces 198bhp and which has been getting rave reviews on its fuel economy (some getting 40mpg) in the US

I think Komoco Motors bring in the one that produces 198bhp..?

Am surprised to read that there isn't 2.0L one that can produce a decent 162bhp.

Neutral Newbie

I think Komoco Motors bring in the one that produces 198bhp..?

Am surprised to read that there isn't 2.0L one that can produce a decent 162bhp.

Hmm I took the brochure from the Komoco showroom last week

Says the 2.4l max power only 178ps, and max torque is 23.3 kg.m

Its using the theta II engine and not the new GDI one that the US market gets

They have a black colour model on display there now

Hmm I took the brochure from the Komoco showroom last week

Says the 2.4l max power only 178ps, and max torque is 23.3 kg.m

Its using the theta II engine and not the new GDI one that the US market gets

They have a black colour model on display there now

You should be right.

Sometimes, it's good to read and learn from www but not everything. :)

Good job Hyundai.

If this adaptation from hybrid technologies continue, more fuel saving equipment can be incorporated in maybe later models. Such as doing away with starter and combining alternator to start vehicle; and invertor air con driven by electric motor instead of belt.

[thumbsup][thumbsup]

Yup Hyundai R&D really good.

One of smart thing coming soon is sealing the engine

bay to keep the engine heat over night so next morning

no cold start.

less torque?

yup , according to the official website . it's still good cause it does not have direct injection technology unlike i45's GDI which is using direct injection .

(edited)

Is this hyundai thing the same as putting a voltage stabilizer in a car ?

no... it more complex than that...

but i think savings are minimal

if they can do it to aircon compressor as well, even better

Edited by Vidz

Toyota using Denso alternator has always had that technology. There is a battery current sensor and feedback at the battery to ecu.

After discovering customers were complaining about dying batteries, voltage stabilizers was found to be the culprit obstructing signals sent back to ecu which controls the charging cycle since they contain capacitors which absorb charge.

So do not use voltage stabilizers if your alternator has feedback system. Your car becomes less efficient due to erratic charge cycles.

For air-con, not possible to save much unless running on electricity. The compressor, condensor and expansion valve system requires high pressure force to run properly.

Just like Honda doesn't sell the Civic 2.0 US model (non Type-R), which is 198bhp. In Singapore, you get the lower end 2.0 model, which is 155bhp.

Regards,

Toyota using Denso alternator has always had that technology. There is a battery current sensor and feedback at the battery to ecu.

After discovering customers were complaining about dying batteries, voltage stabilizers was found to be the culprit obstructing signals sent back to ecu which controls the charging cycle since they contain capacitors which absorb charge.

So do not use voltage stabilizers if your alternator has feedback system. Your car becomes less efficient due to erratic charge cycles.

For air-con, not possible to save much unless running on electricity. The compressor, condensor and expansion valve system requires high pressure force to run properly.

Nothing new lah, IMHO. The down side of this deisgn is, the cabin light flicker more often lor [laugh]. Just like Honda.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement