Increase of engine oil level found in dipstick

Yuan

Low oil level, low pressure, screen blockage, diluted oil, low vicosity oil,damge pump gasket, etc

What would have caused any of these?

↡ Advertisement

alamak. i think you so worried, just go perform an oil change now lor. spend some $$$ to alleviate your fears and give you peace of mind rather than worrying if your car is going to explode. if you do a proper oil change with the right amounts and this still happens, then you worry again lol

alamak. i think you so worried, just go perform an oil change now lor. spend some $$$ to alleviate your fears and give you peace of mind rather than worrying if your car is going to explode. if you do a proper oil change with the right amounts and this still happens, then you worry again lol

[laugh][laugh] No la....Just curious about his comments. Not worry.

Anyway, I did my oil change a short while ago. Mechanic diagnosed as more oil was used during the last change. 3 litres is enough. He checked the coolant and the exhaust and they are alright.

Maybe people don't even know when washers are damaged or look out for tell tale signs/symptoms.

===============

Dunno leh.

Many places recommend to change the washer every time the drain plug is removed but nobody seems to b doing it here & so far no complaints about oil leaking out?

Maybe its not so critical & wil only b changed as & when it starts to leak.

Ive done numerous oil changes but so far, I also never had the problem of oil leaking due to a damaged washer.

===============

Dunno leh.

Many places recommend to change the washer every time the drain plug is removed but nobody seems to b doing it here & so far no complaints about oil leaking out?

Maybe its not so critical & wil only b changed as & when it starts to leak.

Ive done numerous oil changes but so far, I also never had the problem of oil leaking due to a damaged washer.

Crush washer purpose is not to seal like a gasket. It basically allow some axial tension on the thread, to prevent the plug from coming loose due to vibration.

-In certain cases, the oil level may have risen since the last time you checked. This could be due to condensed water (from combustion), condensed fuel or a coolant leak - all are causes for concern.

-Fuel-diluted motor oil (from blow-by or leakage) can substantially reduce oil viscosity and thin additive concentration. The odor of diesel fuel can often be detected right from the dipstick.

-Free and emulsified water is harmful to the oil and the engine. For short-trip drivers, water condensation may be more acute if your engine has the flexible fuel vehicle (FFV) option and you are burning an alcohol-gasoline fuel blend. It is important to remember that combustion produces water in your engine - more water than the fuel consumed. Most of the water goes out the tailpipe, but if the engine is cool, much of it may condense in the crankcase.

-A simple way to detect water in used motor oil is to put a drop of oil from the dipstick on a hot exhaust manifold. If it crackles (sounds like bacon frying) this is an indication of water contamination. Beware that there is some risk that the drop of oil may catch fire.

-Brand new automobiles imported from Japan may have a high oil level due to short-run engine starts (as many as 50) required when the vehicle is transported from the assembly plant, across the ocean, and finally to the dealer

No need to change just heat up the washer red hot with a butuan torch - this method will de-stress the material.

-In certain cases, the oil level may have risen since the last time you checked. This could be due to condensed water (from combustion), condensed fuel or a coolant leak - all are causes for concern.

-Fuel-diluted motor oil (from blow-by or leakage) can substantially reduce oil viscosity and thin additive concentration. The odor of diesel fuel can often be detected right from the dipstick.

-Free and emulsified water is harmful to the oil and the engine. For short-trip drivers, water condensation may be more acute if your engine has the flexible fuel vehicle (FFV) option and you are burning an alcohol-gasoline fuel blend. It is important to remember that combustion produces water in your engine - more water than the fuel consumed. Most of the water goes out the tailpipe, but if the engine is cool, much of it may condense in the crankcase.

-A simple way to detect water in used motor oil is to put a drop of oil from the dipstick on a hot exhaust manifold. If it crackles (sounds like bacon frying) this is an indication of water contamination. Beware that there is some risk that the drop of oil may catch fire.

-Brand new automobiles imported from Japan may have a high oil level due to short-run engine starts (as many as 50) required when the vehicle is transported from the assembly plant, across the ocean, and finally to the dealer

Crush washer purpose is not to seal like a gasket. It basically allow some axial tension on the thread, to prevent the plug from coming loose due to vibration.

==============

But the plug washer is not crush washer. Its just a normal type.

No need to change just heat up the washer red hot with a butuan torch - this method will de-stress the material.

===============

OK thanks but I never see any mech do this even.

They just put the plug back & tighten. But so far I or anybody I know has had oil leaking from the plug due to washer failure.

Not all brands need to change the washer. Nissan doesn't need to but Toyota have to change the washer every oil change.

==============

But the plug washer is not crush washer. Its just a normal type.

Do they look like this? If so, they are crush washers.

post-5338-1271258483_thumb.jpg

Do they look like this? If so, they are crush washers.

===============

No. They r those flat type without any break. I think u sud know lah. The oil plug has a washer which u can see when the mech removes the plug.

Sud b made of copper usually.

Oh sorry. I took a closer look & yes these r the type of washers used.

I tot a crush washer was like what is on the spark plug where its a 1 time use only washer.

Edited by Pisces69

Not all brands need to change the washer. Nissan doesn't need to but Toyota have to change the washer every oil change.

=============

Every type of car i drove, not once did I see the mech change the washer?

Thats why I was wondering if its really that necessary.

=============

Every type of car i drove, not once did I see the mech change the washer?

Thats why I was wondering if its really that necessary.

I am not sure too bro. But what my mechanic told me is Toyota drain plug suppose to change the washer every oil change. Guess it's more preventive than anything.

He even show me one whole bag of washers for Toyota vehicles.

I am not sure too bro. But what my mechanic told me is Toyota drain plug suppose to change the washer every oil change. Guess it's more preventive than anything.

Now that I see and you guys mention, I remember during one of the servicings last year, my mechanic changed something like that.....He did not charge me for it as it was part of my major servicing.

Bros, I don't need a extractor afterall. Realise my EO level is actually lower despite having more oil filled. (TS hope you don't mind me asking here)

X is the oil level and if u don't see a F, than oil level is at F point on dipstick.

0w40 - 4.4L filled

E---------X @ cold after 8hrs (Exactly at F point)

E---------F--X @ 90deg after 30min (Above F point)

20w50 - 4.75L filled

E------X--F @ cold after 8hrs (Below F point, read this is the recommended level)

E---------X @ 90deg after 30min (Exactly at F point)

This are measured within 50km of servicing and confirm no EO leak or consumption.

As you can see more oil is filled but it results in lower levels on the dipstick compared to a thinner oil.

Anyone can explain on this?

==============

OK next time I check with my mech the condition of the washer.

If its worn, I wil get him to replace it for safety sake.

↡ Advertisement