Have you played in Sand-based Playgrounds before...

Scion

used to hav one directly below my blk... wondering y they are changing all these to the current playgrounds...

missing the time i used to play downstair...

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

the one i played with is the "big metal ball" at kempas rd before the place was redeveloped....it help me to develop my agility n upz my tree-climbing skills [laugh]

i guess the authority did away such sand-based playgrd not only due to cat/dog poo but also in those days, can find glass shreds n syringe being dumped there.

Turbocharged

glad to see the article brings back memories to many...

in one way or another, these playgrounds of local designs sure add something to the soon-to-be-lost Singapore identity...

too bad they are going to phase out soon and the authority has sub to foreign designing companies for the new playgrounds...

playing catching on the playground, a meeting point for friends, sand sometimes filled with cat poo.... never realise i will have such attachment to a playground... haha...

Hmm... you mean only 5 old styled sand playgrounds? Because there is a park opposite tiong bahru plaza, in the park there is a sand playground. Unless it had been changed very recently, I actually just brought my kid there a few months back.

Supercharged

[laugh] we used the sand to scatter over the poo....maybe that's how those pet poo manufacturer out with those $$$$-churning products

yeah very sad to see places like the old NLB, Van Cleef Acquarium gone [bigcry]

this is the only happy memories growing up in poverty-striken era

sooner or later...pple here dont hv anything different to remember....only concrete jungle...how to develop any sentimental value to Singapore?

me too.. wanna take photos of them before they are all gone...

from the CNN article, the locations are:

1. sampan design - Pasir Ris

2. dragon design - Toa Payoh

3. dove design - Dakota Cresent

4. clock design - Bishan

5. pelican, rabbit and turtle design - Dover

thanks. i still rmb boonlay used to have one. but tear down tgt with the hdb beside the play ground. so sad!

Ya, still remember.

Can build sand castle.

Not happy with other kids throw sand in their face (evil [sly] )

Fall down sure kena scratches on knee

Last time still got those monkey bar maze that go up till very high. Wah, if fall down from the top sure hong kan. Hit so many metal bars from such a height. [shocked]

I miss those... [:(]

with the new mentality of youngparents in this cenutry, sand based playgrounds wont be back lor.

they will kpkb sand playground is dirty and unhygienic, can injure the kids (due to abrasive sand), old design like skeletons can make kids fall and injure themself.

nowadays the playgrounds are sponge based and very sterile to me.

Edited by Babyt

The dragon playgrounds were like found in many places in the 80s, I remember in front blk 933 Tampines also had one.

Changi Village had the turtle, pelican and rabbit. I love the swings.

Remember when handphone and pager was never heard of, used to meet my friends at the "rocket" playground in Bedok interchange at a pre-arranged time. It's a norm to wait for around 30 mins.

Goodness, I missed those pre-adolescent days.

Edited by Atonchia

Turbocharged

2cpqbgy.jpg

during chilhood, one of my fav is that pelican (actually i dun even know it's a bird when young :D :D )

love to climb and lie comfortably inside that semi-circle...

I think the last Dragon playground is at Toa Payoh. There used to be one in Teck whye and clementi.

Dragon playground nice to play catching in. The last pic, I think used to be found in clementi or ang mo kio areas.

Man, how I missed those days.

teck why blk 7 is dragon one

blk 10 is the 3rd pic

blk 15 another design sand playground..

3 total very near each other [laugh]

iirc jurong east near stadium there still got sand one..not sure isit converted already anot

Edited by Freestylers09

Neutral Newbie

during chilhood, one of my fav is that pelican (actually i dun even know it's a bird when young :D :D )

Ahh yes, lie inside that semi circle and on top of it there's a hole for you to get to the top. Haha. Used to frequent one in Teban Gardens.

BTW, this is in Dover Rd right?

the pelican [thumbsup]

the one i played with is the "big metal ball" at kempas rd before the place was redeveloped....it help me to develop my agility n upz my tree-climbing skills [laugh]

i guess the authority did away such sand-based playgrd not only due to cat/dog poo but also in those days, can find glass shreds n syringe being dumped there.

Globe

Turbocharged

The ones which I used to play are so much more ancient than the ones shown in TS's photos.

The slides, see-saws and swings were very simple and basic back then, no dragon and such elaborate patterns, Ha!

↡ Advertisement