Have you played in Sand-based Playgrounds before...

Scion

with the new mentality of youngparents in this cenutry, sand based playgrounds wont be back lor.

they will kpkb sand playground is dirty and unhygienic, can injure the kids (due to abrasive sand), old design like skeletons can make kids fall and injure themself.

nowadays the playgrounds are sponge based and very sterile to me.

This more a matter of generation gap. When I was in my childhood, the older boys also complaint this kind of 'new' playground were too sissy. No 'kick'....they prefer running on the bigger see-saw and play on the 'tall' swing standing.

I feel the new generation playground replaced the old ones we see in this post is mainly cos of cost (eg. Design, maintenance, construction, etc), safety standard, etc.

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement

all these will go in the very near future.

whats a few old playgrounds when they even "destroyed" the original National Library at Stamford just to build a stupid tunnel that many people dont use.

i always believe that architecture is very important to the identity of a country /place and its culture.

Leave heritage buildings alone!

ok i'm OT , paiseh.

wow... the last one is the best for playing catching....

rules including cannot run on sand and the hard ground...

can only jump/climb among the structures...

cool!!!

during chilhood, one of my fav is that pelican (actually i dun even know it's a bird when young :D :D )

love to climb and lie comfortably inside that semi-circle...

i'm going to visit it before they tear it down

Anyone knows if the "merry goes round" at clementi, just infront of bus interchange still there??

i love to spin the thing when i was a kid.

Turbocharged
(edited)

wooh... since many members are feeling nostalgic, here are more things/places that are getting rarer in Singapore...

kampung Lorong Buangkok, the last kampung on mainland Singapore!

located at Gerald Road

7763621_094ce58de4.jpg

not sure about this, but this type of 80s/90s orange top bus-stop are getting fewer... i think i only saw it in old Choa Chu Kang road now

keciky.jpg

SBS non-aircon double decker bus... should be pharsed out already but i won't miss them... 'cos no aircon! :D :D

v7e5bl.jpg

orange public coin phone... seldom see them around nowadays.. well, everyone is using handphones now

01-orange-coin-phone-225x300.jpg

Sentosa monorail (no more, replaced by Sentosa Express in 2005)

i miss the old slow and bumpy ride!

first took it during my Primary School excursion :D :D

276587531rrNCCd_ph.jpg

PS: all pictures are taken from the internet

Edited by Scion

Turbocharged

Anyone knows if the "merry goes round" at clementi, just infront of bus interchange still there??

Clementi central has gone through so much changes in recent years.

You probably won't be able to recognize it if you have been away for too long.

My playground when I was below 12yrs old.........climbing rambutan tree... :D

I grow up in a Kampong in Sembawang...

all these will go in the very near future.

whats a few old playgrounds when they even "destroyed" the original National Library at Stamford just to build a stupid tunnel that many people dont use.

i always believe that architecture is very important to the identity of a country /place and its culture.

Leave heritage buildings alone!

ok i'm OT , paiseh.

agreed...singapore has lost alot of its heritage....sentosa was the worst hit...alot of its history gone liao replaced with many commericalised stuff...but then again everything must be done in moderation la..if u try to build arnd historical buildings in order to preserve them it'll be quite messy...one such place in this world is London in UK...I've been there and honestly its not a nice place to navigate around...

...one such place in this world is London in UK...I've been there and honestly its not a nice place to navigate around...

Depend on how you see it. We sometimes need 'landmarks' to trace our roots or let the newer generations know what their parents has gone through.

London can provide quite a bit of such info. Eg. I could still find the telephone booth my grandfather used to call my grandmum when he was there for biz. I can also find the telephone booth my wife used to call me when she was studying there or the letter box I used to post my mail and post office I used to send my mail to my family, etc... My old child find it interesting to be able to see and touch those things that I am so familiar with.

For s'pore...I was hoping that the national library would survive instead of building a short tunnel there...and that chinatown was not re-invented, and that Geylang Serai, would be allowed to evolve. Forfar Height will remain, etc...All that didn't materialised.

QT49.jpg

changi%20bus%20stop.jpg

P1020862_rs.jpg

Edited by Silver_blade

Turbocharged

not sure about that, but merry-go-round was one of my fav :D

love to get giddy sitting on it...

3413202429_1cb0150552.jpg

credits to http://www.flickr.com/photos/20354951@N00/...57616329731510/

the first MacDonald in singapore in the 80s...

with Ronald MacDonald, Ham Burglar and other characters whose names i dun rem liao...

3610145309_cf6361b037.jpg

Sing Singapore... i think i still have this songbook!

3610207489_70dc540250.jpg

↡ Advertisement