How Effective is Stability Control ?

Blackseal

There is a difference between stability control and traction control. Traction control is but a subset of stability control. It is interesting how the stability control system can brake individual wheels differently, something not even a race driver can do.

Unfortunately in SG it is usually the higher end cars that have such feature. People are satisfied with just 2 airbags & ABS. :blink:

Among the budget cars, probably only the KIA cerato forte comes with it.

they got really popular after the first gen of merc A class flipped in test.

so much so that it became standard for the A class.

Is electronic stability control a must for US, EU market by law?

If I remember correctly, it is a must for all new car sold in EU by 2012

Edited by Tohto

You will get a star drop immediately in Eurocap without traction control if I remember correctly.

Stability control prevent car from tail out, very common in high hp rwd cars without this. Its done (I think) by moderating the grip of indiviual brakes. I believe you need to have ABS to work properly.

Traction control allow optimise traction on wheel, giving more power to the wheels with traction. Example to move up an icy slope, or getting out of mud. It can also act sort of like Stability control in cornering by restricting the power to the wheels when detecting slip at a wheel.

But don't take my word for it. I got this info by the 5th gear video, & playing Forza 3.

By the way, no need high end car lah. VW & I think in general mid range Conti cars have Traction control as standard. Some Japanese sports cars like lancer evolution & GT-R also have.

If I remember correctly, it is a must for all new car sold in EU by 2012

Good call. You probably do not want to drive a car without it on the snowy/icy roads during the European Winter anyway.

my car got ACS means what?

when i launched with wheelspin,my car will bump to reduce speed?

and when i corner with wheel spin,the power will automitically reduce to prevent further lose of control.

ACS or ASR are typically traction control. If any wheelspin is detected on any of the 4 wheels it will auto brake to slow the wheel in order to get grip between rubber and tarmac. Power cut to the wheels is the system called ESP or stability control. Like traction control the ESP will activate when there's wheel spin. Usually these 2 system are integrated to work hand in hand such that the driver can easily regain control of the car. ESP to cut the power and let the traction control slow the wheel down to grip the road surface. It does not matter your foot is on the gas or brake pedal. They act on their own when wheel spin is detected.

Edited by Watwheels

5th gear and forza? err i have to differ from that...

traction control doesnt add more power to the wheel wif traction, the Limited slip differential does that. In my car, traction control will detect the loss of traction from the wheels and "slip" light will show on the dash panel. The traction control solenoid located at the throttle body will retard the butterfly valve,effectively cutting power to the wheels to let them "gain" back traction.

look more like traction control.

Err, not exactly, Stability control is more like a combination traction control and ABS.

ABS is to allow car to stop quicker w/o wheel lock.

Traction control allows car to move w/o wheel spin.

Stability control prevents car going side ways.

good to know that such control is so effective.

lucky my ride has such a function.~

for a normal driver, if your car skidded, you have not enough reaction time and experience to handle it..

5th gear and forza? err i have to differ from that...

traction control doesnt add more power to the wheel wif traction, the Limited slip differential does that. In my car, traction control will detect the loss of traction from the wheels and "slip" light will show on the dash panel. The traction control solenoid located at the throttle body will retard the butterfly valve,effectively cutting power to the wheels to let them "gain" back traction.

I think your explanation is correct.

But about Forza 3, you really learn to appreciate the difference with and with aids like ABS, Stability control & Traction control.

Don't get your next car without one guys. [drivingcar]

good to know that such control is so effective.

lucky my ride has such a function.~

for a normal driver, if your car skidded, you have not enough reaction time and experience to handle it..

By the way, we mustnt have the false impression that these safety function will help us 100% during an emergency. You will only know whether it is effective when you car "knows" when to activate it supposedly.

Safety 1st, everyone [cool].

Regards,

↡ Advertisement