If i rev to 3.5krpm when pickup, is it bad ?

Johnson28

Neutral Newbie

i like to rev my engine > 6k rpm regularly 'coz:

1. my ecu is adaptive, and can memorise my agressive driving style &

2. to tune my engine mechanical parts for high rev.

my engine is always lively and it never fail to give me it's max performance at any time..

some cars are sluggish 'coz they were tuned by owners for low rpms/speeds. don't blame the cars.. ;D

↡ Advertisement

I feel that if you want to ensure optimal pickup you should go check out your car's engine torque curve. From standing, pickup depends on torque. In other words, you want the shove from the car's engine to be maximum. That is if you want the best possible pick up.

Nowadays alot of cars are designed to have the torque curve kick in at low revs e.g. 2.2k rpm. You would want the torque curve to know where the peak torque kicks in. For example, for the new generation Altis, it kicks in at 2.8k rpm. Basically if i rev to 3.5k rpm, it is wasted since max is only 140Nm of torque. i rev more but still the max is 140Nm.

Another thing is transmission efficiency. Unless yours is a semi auto using a dry clutch, i think most bread and butter autos are using hydraulics to transmit power in the transmission. I find that when i rev bloody high e.g. 4k~5k rpm vs 2.8k rpm, there is no practical difference. I feel that it is due to the formation of eddy currents within the transmission that causes transmission losses. Intuitively, if you suddenly rev sky high, the tendency to have eddy currents and the amount of hydraulic turbulence should be higher.

In other words, rev to whatever rpm your car's peak torque comes in. No point revving more than that.

true torque peaks at lower revs. but usually pple redline so that when they up gear, the rpm is still within the max torque range. unless of course your car is on a CVT transmission.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Find that the auto car slow in pickup, so either slowly let it pick up speed at 2krpm or rev harder to 3.5krpm where it change to next 2 gear

is it bad for engine, transmission in the long run?

Dear "post one time den MIA type",

Can we know wat car you driving? The Auto gear is wat type? CVT? DSG? conventional AT?

In any case, most modern cars are built to rev between the range you mention AT RELAX CONDITIONS....

As long as you keep below the max (redline), no harm will come to your car........

3.5krpm only tickles the engine nia... even old scooters/bikes rev higher than that on average.

unless your car is 20years old and made in Yugoslavia or made in China.

Edited by Pocus

I don't know about your car. Auto car pick-up need not be slow. The Sports mode, paddle shift and even D3 exist for a purpose. Newer Auto car are not like yesterday, where you have to put to D and drive till you sell your car.

I drive my auto like a manual for the past 2 cars. never have gearbox problem. I use stick and paddle shift everyday.

Regards,

Bro , can I change from 'D' to maybe 'D2', 'D3' or even 'L' while the car is moving ?I always have a thinking that auto gear box can only change gear when fully stop .Is it true ?

if u are too cautious, then dun rev too much in a 36degC hot day loh

[sly][sly]

my rev was >4k on NSHW while on the way back from penang for maybe 8~9hours , and my incar temp shows me 38~41 degree on the road .

my rev was >4k on NSHW while on the way back from penang for maybe 8~9hours , and my incar temp shows me 38~41 degree on the road .

Same here. Mine is CVT somemore.

Neutral Newbie

my rpm meter is 7k only.. and i had downshifted 4-5times on NSH to gear 3, needle went past 7k basically the car gone quiet! just like when u clutched in.. i quickly shifted to gear 4 and engine continued running.

Question - will the engine blow if i keep doing that? anyone?

I have asked around and they told me the fuel line got auto cut off.

my rpm meter is 7k only.. and i had downshifted 4-5times on NSH to gear 3, needle went past 7k basically the car gone quiet! just like when u clutched in.. i quickly shifted to gear 4 and engine continued running.

never experienced such before becos i always watch my redline.

but sounds like your electronic limiter kicked in.

Your engine has got a rev limiter. Thus nothing bad will happen if your rpm got beyond the redline value. But if you sustain the rev near the redline region e.g. your redline is at 6600rpm and you maintain at 6400rpm for 3 hours on the NSHW, i think your engine's lifespan will be reduced if you keep doing that each time you hit the NSHW maybe say once a week.

Your engine has got a rev limiter. Thus nothing bad will happen if your rpm got beyond the redline value. But if you sustain the rev near the redline region e.g. your redline is at 6600rpm and you maintain at 6400rpm for 3 hours on the NSHW, i think your engine's lifespan will be reduced if you keep doing that each time you hit the NSHW maybe say once a week.

This is almost impossible, only if NSHW is owned by that someone and that someone is the one and only car on lane 1 [laugh].

Regards,

I use gear 5 travelling at 60km/h.

That is bad for your engine and gear box, they have to labour so hard :huh:

while auto car is moving and you change your gear, it will more or less damage your gearbox in long run.~

that's why it is not encourage to change from "D" to "N" during traffic light.

just let it be "D" always.

while auto car is moving and you change your gear, it will more or less damage your gearbox in long run.~

I think should be don't let auto car coast at N gear.

Once you have come to full stop, it is ok to put to N.

Twincharged

I think so long as the car stop then put to N is ok. My previous car I always do that at traffic lights and use until 10 years old still nothing wrong with the gearbox.

I think should be don't let auto car coast at N gear.

Once you have come to full stop, it is ok to put to N.

in fact jeremy clarkson did share one fact during top gear that when coasting to a stop, keep the gear in D as most cars will use less fuel in that mode as momentum of the wheels will keep the engine running vs (some fuel used to run engine at idling in 'N')

↡ Advertisement