Comparing fuel Consumption b/w Merc, BMW and audi

Smurfs

(edited)

Hi I think the 7Gtroinic or number of gears may help with the FC. In general having been through 2 BMWs the FC sucks. My e92 325i could not hit 7km per liter. Unless I drive to KL...lol

I am driving a 7Gtronic C300 now and FC is 7.2km per liter. This is a 3L V6 and I get better FC than the 2.5L BMW....of coz my old e92 still looks so much better and handles so much better but I had to move from a 2 to a 4 door so that's life for u....

BTW I started a Poll on the conti brands so I hope all of you can share your thoughts...:)

Wah so s--t ah. Even my 18yr old car can hit over 7km/L easily and 8+ if I'm very light on the foot/highway.

Edited by Strudel-

How you drive affects FC tremendously.

In an ideal world, you don't accelerate aggressively and anticipate stops to avoid having to brake at the last minute (i.e. you coast before you have to brake). Basically, braking means wasting fuel (which equates to wasting money) cos you used up fuel to get to that speed. To me, if you drive in such a manner and are concerned about FC, something is terribly wrong. All cars have terrible fuel efficiency if driven like that.

If you like to accelerate and jam brake, smaller engines are more fuel efficient. But for long distance driving at a high constant speed, bigger engines are more fuel efficient.

Hypersonic

I think TS friend needs to understand the concept of

Total Cost of Ownership.

:D

Wah so s--t ah. Even my 18yr old car can hit over 7km/L easily and 8+ if I'm very light on the foot/highway.

weight matters

A LOT

which bmw is on the 8-speed? how is the FC with 8-speed??

i'm getting 8.5km/l on F10 523i. so that's really not bad for a car that heavy and engine that size.

(edited)

In an ideal world, you don't accelerate aggressively and anticipate stops to avoid having to brake at the last minute (i.e. you coast before you have to brake). Basically, braking means wasting fuel (which equates to wasting money) cos you used up fuel to get to that speed. To me, if you drive in such a manner and are concerned about FC, something is terribly wrong. All cars have terrible fuel efficiency if driven like that.

If you like to accelerate and jam brake, smaller engines are more fuel efficient. But for long distance driving at a high constant speed, bigger engines are more fuel efficient.

Mentality of the driver is what its about, like the mentality of a banker and an engineer are totally different.

I do not accelerate unless I want to overtake, doesnt use brake as much but use engine brake more. I dont think theres anything wrong with it. I will make the most out of what I can if its possible and this is 1 way. The unnecessary wearing is pointless and I can use some of that when I'm at the track/drag. I'm not suggesting dont use brake and dont accelerate fast (I know every now and then we got our urge too... hahaha), but you're not doing it every minute, most people I see dont anyway.

weight matters

A LOT

I know it does but mine's not light too... 1.5 tonne 2.6L straight six? I doubt the 3 series would be significantly heavier even if it is tbh.

Not meaning to talk people down (I'm sure they like their cars) but I'm just surprised to see that kinda consumption for a non-performance based car. I would think car designers will have that as 1 of the top few priorities when it comes to designing a car. Maybe the market for them are people who doesnt care about consumption/efficiency.

There might be something wrong with the car to begin with or it get stuck in jams a lot....

i'm getting 8.5km/l on F10 523i. so that's really not bad for a car that heavy and engine that size.

This is much better.

Edited by Strudel-

Mentality of the driver is what its about, like the mentality of a banker and an engineer are totally different.

I do not accelerate unless I want to overtake, doesnt use brake as much but use engine brake more. I dont think theres anything wrong with it. I will make the most out of what I can if its possible and this is 1 way. The unnecessary wearing is pointless and I can use some of that when I'm at the track/drag. I'm not suggesting dont use brake and dont accelerate fast (I know every now and then we got our urge too... hahaha), but you're not doing it every minute, most people I see dont anyway.

I wish I understood what you are saying...are you an engineer? [rolleyes] If you don't accelerate unless you want to overtake, does that mean your car is in perpetual motion and you have never come to a stop before?

The words you use suggest you have something to share, but read in totality its gibberish.

(edited)

I wish I understood what you are saying...are you an engineer? [rolleyes] If you don't accelerate unless you want to overtake, does that mean your car is in perpetual motion and you have never come to a stop before?

The words you use suggest you have something to share, but read in totality its gibberish.

The engineer and banker thinking is a metaphor and yes I am an engineer.

If you don't accelerate unless you want to overtake, does that mean your car is in perpetual motion and you have never come to a stop before?

Please explain? I do not understand the link between acceleration and coming to stop.

Edited by Strudel-

You are wrong.

In a perfect world where there is no traffic light, u accelerate smoothly till the tallest gear. Continue coasting at that gear.

In Sg context, u have to accelerate aggressively out of traffic light stop to avoid all the $$ pincher hogging the bloody road. From thereon, u coast at the tallest gear. Whenever there is a stop in front, full release of throttle 500m before. That will also help with increasing brake pad/rotor longevity.

If all fails, use Axe Oil. Think too much about petrol prices will cause a person to have headache.

Well its a bonus if the ride is good while fuel consumption is good.

2 important factors to add-on is the way you drive and the route you take.