Leaking shock absorbers

Hi guys,

need help/advise from those who know better--as per title: leaking front shock absorbers, I know it has to be changed eventually but is it URGENT? Because some say leh, some say lah, uncle Phua say have to fight SARS....... seriously, I been reading around on the net and it is quite divided opinion:

some sites say safety is compromised so the shocks must be replaced asap, some others suggest that the ride may become bouncier, unstable, increased tire wear that's all, no IMMEDIATE danger?

by the way, I'm rolling on a 2006 Altis!

and since the time has come to change the shocks out, I was thinking of changing the front (those are leaking) shocks only, but dropping all 4 sides with Eibach lowering springs--is this advisable? I am very gentle driver by any standards, just street use, occasional NSH run also no exceed 130km/h, so I suppose my demands on any suspension kit is quite mild? So, yes or no?

options:

1. don't itchy backside, just change the ONLY front shocks to OEM or KYB ($)

2. take this opportunity to change front shocks KYB, but lower all round Eibach ($$$)

3. out and out coilovers all 4 ($$$$$) -----------but this option probably out

please advise guys, thanks in advance, i most keen to go with option 2, but unsure if stock/OEM/KYB shocks can cope with a lowered height (~25mm)

BR,

Kenny

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

lol, i got the same problem too recently, and i juz changed a new set of shock absorbers.

From what I understand is that, that are no IMMEDIATE danger.

But for a peace of mind, I changed them ASAP.

So at least now i'm quite alright with it. [;)]

Anyway, if u dun change them, the car will be bouncy... [bounce2]

Original shocks for Altis is meant for comfort [nod]

Usually, one changes all 4 shocks at 1 go for shock replacement [nod]

For 4 KYBs & Eibach combination, you would be looking at the range of S$800-S$900 while coilover would be maybe 1K range & more depending on brand & model [nod]

My advice to you is to use 4 new shocks with Eibach if you really wanna lowered your ride with the minimum budget [nod]

yay replies, thanks Baibai and Mazda3, ok so it is confirmed what I read, no immediate danger, just that gets bouncier and poorer handling;

yes i am keen on the (normal) kyb shocks + eibach combo, but just 1 more query---can stock or OE (like the KYB) cope with lowered heights?

if no problems i would go ahead with this, seems the best compromise all around, new shocks, low car, stiffened up some, thanks again you all!

BR,

Kenny

Original shocks for Altis is meant for comfort [nod]

Usually, one changes all 4 shocks at 1 go for shock replacement [nod]

For 4 KYBs & Eibach combination, you would be looking at the range of S$800-S$900 while coilover would be maybe 1K range & more depending on brand & model [nod]

My advice to you is to use 4 new shocks with Eibach if you really wanna lowered your ride with the minimum budget [nod]

MzrMazda3, one more thing, do you have recommend any place one-stop shop to get KYB + Eibach, fit them on, and wheel align? i don't wish to visit individual stockists then still must find mech workshop!

Baibai, where did you get yours done? and rough cost?

BR,

Kenny

(edited)

MzrMazda3, one more thing, do you have recommend any place one-stop shop to get KYB + Eibach, fit them on, and wheel align? i don't wish to visit individual stockists then still must find mech workshop!

Baibai, where did you get yours done? and rough cost?

BR,

Kenny

Bro, quite difficult to get a 1 stop shop for your required set up for KYB + Eibach :mellow:

KYB can get from Tye Soon [nod]

Eibach can try to get from Hotwheel Motorsports @ Sin Ming.

Installation + Alignment can try City Auto @ Sin Ming (Jus opposite Hotwheel Motorsports) or any normal workshop with alignment equipment [nod]

Installation charges normally about $60-$80 while alignment about $50-$60 [nod]

Normally, alignment will do about 1 week after installing for the springs to set in swee swee [;)]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

yarrrr! run to 3 places!! ok la, i guess im just lazy--in that case will probably go to somewhere with KYB + they can fix/align, as for lowering, see what springs they got available there, i really can't find the time to run 3 places;

Byond, yey thanks i was looking around at these "big brand" suspensions also so would check them out, Bilstein, Tein, etc.

Ichibawa, noted, [:)]

you guys been really a help man seriously thanks, in 1 afternoon got so much info I need, and especially Mzrmazda3, got all the contacts and details, I will google them out and get round to changing the shocks probably soon I hope!

BR,

Kenny

Hi, Kenny,

I'm now sharing the same problem like yours, my front X1 and Rear X1 shock absorber are leaking, it was found out by my mechanic doing my 4 tyres rotation during the schedule car servicing.

Money No Enough ! trying to find OEM shock absorber to save $$$$, but was told that NON ! Recently, stockist @ waterloo st. returned my call and said that KYB is now in production and should be arriving sg in 3 months time.

Left with no choice, I see whether can fine other mechanic to save on the labour charge for not waiting 3 months for the KYB OEM.

Fortunately, I found a tyre shop in JB permas Jaya(next to Jusco) quoted Labour charge for RM20 per pcs and total RM80 for all 4 shocks, now decided to buying my original shock absorbers for replacment, shall be going in JB SOONEST to get it replace.

Just now, while I'm returning home, I overtook a slow lorry @80KM/H and found out the traffic light in front changed to Amber, then I shocked to notice Camera is there, I slammed hard bracking and felt that the shocks still OK, I'm 2 feet away of the halt line and my doggie was thrown from my rear compartment into my rear passenger seat, but she is fine and excited to go home.

This emergency stop had pushed me hard enough and felt Lucky for not being Snap by the camera for $$$ & Demerit Points. So, not to worry about your shocks leak's but to source carefully to save monies here and there, this is typical Singaporeans owning cars whom has been spending too much to feeding our Big Fat Ministers.

Regards. [wave]

So what did u change to ?? I heard eibach works best with stock shocks, or maybe thats only for my car.

If gentle driver i dont think need coilovers. Just stay with stock shocks + eibach. But if u want something better, u can try tein ss or trd sportivo suspension set. Not too harsh but great handling.

Remember to ask the installers to recommend whether u need silencers or not. If not next time there might be rubbing of springs and shocks and the sound is very irritating and to get rid of it u have to remove them and install silencers which you have to fork out labour cost of cause.

Just sharing what the workshop taught me when i was installing my sportivos.

(edited)

you can change shock in pair not necessary all 4. anyway since TS wanna lower his ride, all 4 must change :)

yes, spoil shock will cause some problem like braking distance increase due to traction loss, handling sux as u will feel like u going to fly out when u nego a bend at high speed. And it also will wear ur tyres faster :)

all in all, when ur shock is faulty, dun speed... it is still ok to drive for a while but get it change when u can

Edited by Devilcup

6th Gear
(edited)

Hi, Kenny,

I'm now sharing the same problem like yours, my front X1 and Rear X1 shock absorber are leaking, it was found out by my mechanic doing my 4 tyres rotation during the schedule car servicing.

Money No Enough ! trying to find OEM shock absorber to save $$$$, but was told that NON ! Recently, stockist @ waterloo st. returned my call and said that KYB is now in production and should be arriving sg in 3 months time.

Left with no choice, I see whether can fine other mechanic to save on the labour charge for not waiting 3 months for the KYB OEM.

Fortunately, I found a tyre shop in JB permas Jaya(next to Jusco) quoted Labour charge for RM20 per pcs and total RM80 for all 4 shocks, now decided to buying my original shock absorbers for replacment, shall be going in JB SOONEST to get it replace.

Just now, while I'm returning home, I overtook a slow lorry @80KM/H and found out the traffic light in front changed to Amber, then I shocked to notice Camera is there, I slammed hard bracking and felt that the shocks still OK, I'm 2 feet away of the halt line and my doggie was thrown from my rear compartment into my rear passenger seat, but she is fine and excited to go home.

This emergency stop had pushed me hard enough and felt Lucky for not being Snap by the camera for $$$ & Demerit Points. So, not to worry about your shocks leak's but to source carefully to save monies here and there, this is typical Singaporeans owning cars whom has been spending too much to feeding our Big Fat Ministers.

Regards. [wave]

Mr Fong, yours also is due to yr tires la..... [:p]

Edited by Yuan

Mr Fong, yours also is due to yr tires la..... [:p]

Yuan Sir,

Greeting's Good Day To You. [wave]

my (yokohama c-drive 185/65/14) rubber very cheapo ones, but I guess you're right too.

1 more additional point to note that helped is also my all 4 brand new brake pads provided the heavy grip.

Next time, while driving can not [hur] keep thinking about simplesilver lor......Boh Mia Liao [bigcry]

When changing the Shock Absorber, what else need to change?

All shock absorber rubber bushings and 4 wheels alignment.

↡ Advertisement