3M solar film - sucks

Pool100

(edited)

Aiyah, it is normal la. Park under the sun for 2hr, any car also will feel the oven feeling le. My car is all dark tinted, i also got feel it. Somemore my car is black ! Took 10 min to cool down, that is way too long la. Maybe your aircon got problem.

Edited by Dscheng
↡ Advertisement

I'm not a first time car owner and I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying that with solar film, car will be cool even under the sun. What I'm saying is the degree of infra-red penetration that causes the heat trapping. Similar to green house effect.

All my previous cars have different solar films fitted, but none as bad as this 3M film. Just to give an example, I'm able to hold the steering wheel and gear shifter with no problem for all my previous cars after a hot day under the sun... and car cools down in 1-2 min. But no way can I hold the steering wheel in my current car under similar conditions. It's just too blardy hot. And when I put my hand under the glass panel with the 3M film, i can feel the heat penetrating through. It's different from my experiences with other solar film where I can literally 'feel' the heat rejection... even the lousy no brand films give better results... and that based on my human feel.

I don't appreciate your comments because they don't hold water and you don't even know the actual conditions before you make judgmental remarks.

And no, my air-con is working great and I'm not driving a COE car.

[shakehead]

weather tempretures different from now and last time...

different car has different heat insulation strengths...

your air-con working great?????? pls dont talk c--k... 10 mins to cool a car can throw away liao lah... [laugh]

you get in your car... feel its too hot and condem 3M solar films... a company that has been around since 1902... With over 76,000 employees they produce over 55,000 products, including: adhesives, abrasives, laminates, passive fire protection, dental products, electronic materials, electronic circuits and optical films. 3M has operations in more than 60 countries

ha... snigger...

i thought it was being an ass...

but after reading the rest of the posts...

realised not just me... [laugh]

but SERIOUSLY... go check your aircon... -_-

Take those Nano-Ceramic films maybe would be better volkswagen the window all tinted glass all rejeect sunlight de so gud

I always unfold my windscreen 'blind' n put it up even with solar film done FOC by AD (non 3M brand though)..but before I drive off, if I can open all d doors or if cannot then roll down d windows for at least 5min..help d air con by not making it work too hard..so far d 5min really helped n car is cool within a min or so..a lot of d sun gets into d car from d windscreen lah..

Hi bros, is anyone of you using 3M solar film and find it really bad?

I have the supposed "premium plus" 3M film installed on my ford mondeo and I find the heat rejection really bad. Just 2 hours under hot sun and the whole car becomes an absolute oven... take about full 10 min to cool the car down with air con full blast. When I called 3M to ask why their product is so bad, they said it's already one of their top range solar film. When I enquired about their heat rejection rate, she said it's only 40% front and 42% rear. Doesn't sound very good to be honest. And I must say I had expected more from 3M products and services.

Now I'm seriously contemplating ripping off the 3M film and installing others... even if it's those no-brand films with high heat rejection rates.

Any that you guys can recommend?

Most of 3M film sold here is not top of range, 3M has more than 30 variety of film from ceramic, metal sputtereed, dye, etc.

The top range will be metal sputterred/ceramic with high IR rejection, the difference metal sputterred is faster cool down compared to ceramic

Yes, the grade of the solar film definitely plays a part in heat /UV rejection qualities. I have 3M as well, have served me well for 2 yrs plus. Also, if I know I'll be parked for couple hours in the sun, I'll put my wipers up - prevents hardening and helps if I'm parked near a mosque :)

Chill bros, tomm fridae and longey weekend is up!

Yes, the grade of the solar film definitely plays a part in heat /UV rejection qualities. I have 3M as well, have served me well for 2 yrs plus. Also, if I know I'll be parked for couple hours in the sun, I'll put my wipers up - prevents hardening and helps if I'm parked near a mosque :)

Chill bros, tomm fridae and longey weekend is up!

bro pls explain HOW does it help if you are parked near a mosque??? [grin]

Secret signals! [;)]

huh?... to avoid summons or get a free car wash?... haha

[laugh]

i ftrue then i must stick some koran scriptures on my cars...

huh?... to avoid summons or get a free car wash?... haha

[laugh]

i ftrue then i must stick some koran scriptures on my cars...

Yes Ken, all the better if you have these scriptures on your car -as they say, in conjunction lah...

Two birds, one stone.

Eh, OT abit - tried Singha Draft at G/Mile, not really my type as I still find Tigger bettah, got the "bite" as it grates down the throat. Sawadee [wave]

Yes Ken, all the better if you have these scriptures on your car -as they say, in conjunction lah...

Two birds, one stone.

Eh, OT abit - tried Singha Draft at G/Mile, not really my type as I still find Tigger bettah, got the "bite" as it grates down the throat. Sawadee [wave]

actually i just had Singha Draft yesterday at Thai Disco... it was terrible... mug was not cold and i suspect beer was left over from sitting jugs in the bar...

actually a good Lager MUST be bloody cool to be shiok... just like any carbonated drink...

I did 3M Premium Plus...very good! The interior is quite cool even after parking in hot sun for 1 hr [:p]

errr... sorry but i dont believe...

unless your engine running with air-con on?

3M film that comes with Altis not bad leh.. dunno the IR rejection though...

It is much much better than RikeCool that comes with my car.. :(

↡ Advertisement