3M solar film - sucks

Pool100

Twincharged

i bought the 3M $1000 package and installed at Ubi when i got my new car in 2006.... and yes, it sucks !! the rear windscreen is now showing air bubbles !! and it gets hot pretty fast under the sun when parked. On some sunny days, i have to resort to placing a big sheet of corrugated cardboard on the front windscreen to block out the sun when i park.

i kinda feel that the film i installed last time in katong for my old car is much better and it's was only $300 !! .... Its Laguna Series by Thermal guard.

oh btw, most installers will charge you a "old film removal fee" .... so you need to factor in the extra costs if you wanna change.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Just to check with all of u, i read some report that 3M solar film has 10yrs warranty, dunno isit true

My previous ride solar film was with higher grade v-kool, it still feel like oven within 1hr under the sun.

Wat i did was install window guard and wind down a bit of the window whenever i parked under hot sun to let the hot air escape n it feel much better.

Last time i measure the temperature of the interior after 3hrs directly under the sun, the highest it reached was near to 78 degree celcuis with all the window shut compare to 60plus with 4 window winding down slightly.

I have installed solar film on my two previous car and also on my existing car. The first one 14 years ago used the original metal based V-kool. Those were the days when LTA was very strict with light emission. My second one was also by V-kool but a cheaper range where only the front windscreen is metallic, the other windows non metallic type. And my present one is a premium range from Rike cool.

In my opinion, only the V-kool metallic based film really makes a big difference. The only way to judge the effectiveness of the film is during normal driving on a sunny day. You then judge how hot the sun ray feels on your bare arms. Cannot comment about 3M as I have not used it on a car but I have used 3M on my bedroom windows facing the morning sun. I suppose cannot really compare as it is probably a different type from that used on a car.

No solar film can keep a stationary car cool. A lot of the heat travel into a stationary car by CONDUCTION and not just radiation from the glass.

Edited by Topspin

Neutral Newbie

Best solution is to find a sheltered parking lot haha.. it is true the solar films cannot fully guarantee your car to be cool. There are alot more factors affecting the temperature of your car

Best solution is to find a sheltered parking lot haha.. it is true the solar films cannot fully guarantee your car to be cool. There are alot more factors affecting the temperature of your car

agree, it makes a hell diff when trying to cool from a sheltered place vs an open lot.

Neutral Newbie

I've had no brand, 3m and vkool films. 3m doesn't feel any better than the no brand ones and vkool is by far, by far, superior.

(edited)

sometimes its not that 3M film sucks, its the skill of the installer that screw up the product

same thot on this....the application of the solar film by untrained installer can the culprit for the lousy expectation of a good product.

Edited by Cephas

so dun be too quick to blame the product. just walk along some audio shops, solar film shops etc....can see those foreign workers doing slip shop work.

Neutral Newbie

so dun be too quick to blame the product. just walk along some audio shops, solar film shops etc....can see those foreign workers doing slip shop work.

To quote our beloved leader, don't be daft.

My 3m, the premium version, was applied well. There's no way the application is so bad that it affects the efficiency of the product. And if the film is so badly applied do you think owners would accept it?

Go ahead and change to another brand of solar film. [;)]

Please also test it under sun or similar conditions as before for 2 hrs and tell us if its better than 3M.

Honestly, I think the results will be the same unless your skin is like a thermometer :D:D

I've had no brand, 3m and vkool films. 3m doesn't feel any better than the no brand ones and vkool is by far, by far, superior.

I am on Rike-cool. So far so good for the last 5 years.

One important factor to select solar film, is the INFRA-RED rejection rating.

Yeah, really INFRA-RED rejection rating is the important factor to select solar film.

for 3M, get the crystalline range of solar films, IR rejection is very high, top of the range for 3M solar films.

for v-kool, read that there are issues with IU due to the metallic substrate used in the solar film, so reception of IU and even mobile phones will be affected, some even need to cut a hole on the solar film to allow IU transmission through.

for 3M, get the crystalline range of solar films, IR rejection is very high, top of the range for 3M solar films.

for v-kool, read that there are issues with IU due to the metallic substrate used in the solar film, so reception of IU and even mobile phones will be affected, some even need to cut a hole on the solar film to allow IU transmission through.

Yes. The crystalline range is pretty effective.

shakehead.gif

weather tempretures different from now and last time...

different car has different heat insulation strengths...

your air-con working great?????? pls dont talk c--k... 10 mins to cool a car can throw away liao lah... laugh.gif

you get in your car... feel its too hot and condem 3M solar films... a company that has been around since 1902... With over 76,000 employees they produce over 55,000 products, including: adhesives, abrasives, laminates, passive fire protection, dental products, electronic materials, electronic circuits and optical films. 3M has operations in more than 60 countries – 29 international companies with manufacturing operations, and 35 with laboratories. 3M products are available for purchase through distributors and retailers in more than 200 countries

either you stupid... or you bought FAKE 3M solar films...

haha... laugh.gif

Agree 3M has too much at stake to put their name to sub par materials.

Fact is that the film is on the inside of the glass. So heat is already INSIDE the car as it has transferred through the glass. Same applies with a house. It is FAR more effective to put outside blinds on the windows than rely on films and curtains to stop your house heating up. Why? because the thermal transfer is already INSIDE the house so the heat load is there.

If you apply film to protect your car interior from UV and make it harder to break the glass in case of burglary ok - if you apply film hoping that it will remain cooler after soaking in the tropical sun all day then you are being unrealistic. Its a simple law of physics (I develop, amongst other things, refirgeration and AC products so trust me, it is about thermal transfer and heat loading.

So park your car in the shade and if that is not practical get a silver reflective car cover and slow (NOT STOP) the heat BEFORE transfer inside the glass - again if the car cover is in direct contact with the car it reduces the effectiveness - we also make ovens that at 350C you can touch the outside of the oven door (c 55C with no sustainable injury even to a childs hands) - a product of specially developed metallic glass panels in conjunction with air flow between the glass panels washing the surface and extracting the heat load via convection.

Same principle HK taxis use with their tropical roof (the second skin on the roof)

I'm the threadstarter and I have ripped out the 3M and installed another solar film. Result is way better. The car heats up slower than the 3M. Infra-red rejection is the key. When choosing solar film, always ask about that.

↡ Advertisement