How safe is slightly damaged tires?

Fishman

This morning si bey suay. [furious] Turning head in into a parking lot next to kerb, my front left wheel hit the kerb at slow speed, but still kenna. Other than a sratched rim, there was a small chunk of rubber that was right at the edge of the rim that got cut off. As this tire is very new, less than 2 weeks, I feel very reluctant to change it. Can any bro here advise how safe or unsafe such a situation is? Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

r u able to see the linings of the tyre or just the rubber? as u mentioned "small chunk of rubber that was right at the edge of the rim that got cut off", try to pour some water (soapy if can) on that edge to see any leakage or not

but again, is your $$$, if u think your life is worth less than a tyre, then dun change. if your life is worth more than a tyre, then change it and you will have a peace of mind rather than constant worrying here n there

Thanks for the idea of testing for air leak.

I am thinking of replacing the damaged one with the full size spare tire. Anyway, I don't go up to boleh land so if there is any problem can just call AA.

Thanks for the idea of testing for air leak.

I am thinking of replacing the damaged one with the full size spare tire. Anyway, I don't go up to boleh land so if there is any problem can just call AA.

no problem, hope it is not leaking so that u still can use. sometime superficial cut is ok.

pls do not have the perception that if u got tyre damaged and u r not travelling to boleh land then is safe. u will be wrong as tyre burst can happen anywhere,anytime, any circumstances.

take a pic and pple can see how serious!

cant tell as pic say a thousand words.

if jus rubber surface is okie.

if can see lining... or deep cut.. then is a choice of patching can work or too bad , throw away.

picture pls

This morning si bey suay. [furious] Turning head in into a parking lot next to kerb, my front left wheel hit the kerb at slow speed, but still kenna. Other than a sratched rim, there was a small chunk of rubber that was right at the edge of the rim that got cut off. As this tire is very new, less than 2 weeks, I feel very reluctant to change it. Can any bro here advise how safe or unsafe such a situation is? Thanks.

u check the rubber come from the 'rim protector'?? if its from the rim protector i think its ok , cos its just extra rubber .

but if the rubber come from the side wall i think u better dun play play , side wall for any tyres is very weak .

but as some bro say , no picture hard to judge, in any case if u try open the crack abit see if can see any thread, if u can see white thread inside, the tyre can throw.

i rather use a undamage old tyres, then a damage new tyre.

Neutral Newbie

I have the same luck except that my 1.6k milage tyre was punctured by a car key !!

Attached pic - pls advise if is safe to use - the punctured area is about 1cm cut.

Thanks

Ps - I change to this new set of tyre last 2 weeks due to the same happening to my old tyre ! Really lots of luck...

post-354-1274266781_thumb.jpg

post-354-1274266794_thumb.jpg

if its really a big "chunk" of rubber, or exposing the wiremess, then safer to change the entire tire irregardless if its new or old or even it is a 20" tire that cost $500.. save this money, and thyis unsafe tire causes accident.. the cost more be worth many times more. dun be penny wise, pound foolish..

at least go to your more trusted workshop and ask them for an evaluation if you are not sure, at the very least..

I have the same luck except that my 1.6k milage tyre was punctured by a car key !!

Attached pic - pls advise if is safe to use - the punctured area is about 1cm cut.

Thanks

Ps - I change to this new set of tyre last 2 weeks due to the same happening to my old tyre ! Really lots of luck...

i suggest that you visit tyre shops that can do inner tyre patch and check with them if inner patch can be done and if it is safe.

Neutral Newbie

1 tyre guy said inner patching is not good due to heat built up during moving - & he said why some tyre bust in NS HW might due to this type of patching.

The shop that patch up mention to replace if leak again. Till now 1 day still no leak - Just monitor & replace when necessary, cos travel north quite regular

Thanks

bro.. i got similar exp some time back.. also new tires...

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...650223&hl=*

if its juz a bit of rubber and dun see inner lining..s hould be ok.. been using it for the past few mths.. every week check presuure.. no prob :D

post pic so we could have a clearer picture....

best is go to your reliable tyre shop for advise.. (please dun go autobacs or those shop manned by chinaman n foreighners though)

It depends on How deep is the damage.

However, what you said does not sound like anything serious. Sounds more like a chunk of "rubber skin" that got scraped off.

http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/graphic...onstruction.jpg

Check out the cross section of a tyre.

The strength of a tyre does not come from that thin layer of rubber wrapped on the outside. Its what inside that holds the tyre together.

=============

Just use lah.

If u see the sidewall start to bulge out, then get it changed.

I swiped the kerb many times. Sometimes nothing happe & sometimes got internal damage. Its just your luck & the quality of your tires.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Thanks

make sure your tire pressure is always enough to avoid additional stress on the side walls.

as the damage is very close to the side walls. always monitor for any bulges/cracks.

the moment you see it. please change

no hard cornering pls, hehe

Edited by Cyberet

Neutral Newbie

take a photo.

i took out a chunk of rubber from my rim protector ad07 when i hit the kerb, and it lasted for another 20k km.

take a photo, but always make sure its properly inflated [;)]