Weak cranking and fail to start engine

Edminski

Hi forumers,

i have encountered this problems, can anyone tell me if this is really battery problem?

1) For the past 1.5 months, i failed to start engine after 1st crank. Only manage to start it during the 2nd time.

This happens 1 month ago and today

2) It takes longer time for me to crank the engine. i need to turn key and hold it longer before i start the engine. Even a lorry can crank and start engine faster than me. I need to hold and hear *eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh voom"

Normal cranking is "eeh eeh eeh voom"

3) Occasionally i hear weak cranking when starting engine

What i have done :

- Bring to workshop twice already. They tested battery and alternator. All result shows normal.

- I told the workshop mechanic that my long cranking is extremely un-normal. I am not driving a lorry.

My ride is 2.5mth old only

Shall i bring the car to the workshop the 3rd time? So tired of it already.

The battery is still under warranty but seems that its so difficult for them to change a new one for me.

I thought of just paying $ for a new one but i am afraid that if its not battery fault, then what is the fault?

Can anyone advise me or have encountered this problem for new car?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

check fuel filter and fuel line

check starter motor and smell for any burning smell

Edited by Bornno1

(edited)

Hi forumers,

i have encountered this problems, can anyone tell me if this is really battery problem?

1) For the past 1.5 months, i failed to start engine after 1st crank. Only manage to start it during the 2nd time.

This happens 1 month ago and today

2) It takes longer time for me to crank the engine. i need to turn key and hold it longer before i start the engine. Even a lorry can crank and start engine faster than me. I need to hold and hear *eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh eeh voom"

Normal cranking is "eeh eeh eeh voom"

3) Occasionally i hear weak cranking when starting engine

What i have done :

- Bring to workshop twice already. They tested battery and alternator. All result shows normal.

- I told the workshop mechanic that my long cranking is extremely un-normal. I am not driving a lorry.

My ride is 2.5mth old only

Shall i bring the car to the workshop the 3rd time? So tired of it already.

The battery is still under warranty but seems that its so difficult for them to change a new one for me.

I thought of just paying $ for a new one but i am afraid that if its not battery fault, then what is the fault?

Can anyone advise me or have encountered this problem for new car?

===============

Difficult to start cud also b caused by poor electrical connection where u have weak spark to the plugs or too lean fuel/air mix.

Maybe u need to get the sensors checked. Lambda & oxygen sensors cud b dirty/faulty. Or ECU giving incorrect air/fuel settings. Or maybe your plugs r fouled/dirty/wrong gap setting.

Even your fuel pump might b weak so too little fuel getting sent to the throttle body.

Your car is new so it sud b easy to start. Something is not right. Do u only do short trips? This can cause your plugs to get fouled.

Unfortunately u need a good experienced mech to check for u but most AD mechs r just CMI. Try to tok to a senior mech & see if he can help.

BTW what car u driving?

Edited by Pisces69

===============

Difficult to start cud also b caused by poor electrical connection where u have weak spark to the plugs or too lean fuel/air mix.

Maybe u need to get the sensors checked. Lambda & oxygen sensors cud b dirty/faulty. Or ECU giving incorrect air/fuel settings. Or maybe your plugs r fouled/dirty/wrong gap setting.

Even your fuel pump might b weak so too little fuel getting sent to the throttle body.

Your car is new so it sud b easy to start. Something is not right. Do u only do short trips? This can cause your plugs to get fouled.

Unfortunately u need a good experienced mech to check for u but most AD mechs r just CMI. Try to tok to a senior mech & see if he can help.

BTW what car u driving?

wah..so many possibilties to look into..sigh..i thought its battery problem

ya i usually do short trips only (15-20km per day on average). Only during weekend at about 70km per day

i sent my car to check twice already le bro...and 2 times they havent find any fault yet.

I talked to 2 mechanic. 1 of them is quite senior i think. But he give me crap reason which i cant accept it..

He says that my long cranking is normal.

My previous ride driven for 5 years already also dont experience any long cranking at all

My new ride is Altis

===============

but the problem is...they say that all my symtoms is normal and hence didnt perform so many checks

How can these symtoms be normal

If i bring to other workshop, i am also scared of getting chop carrot too.

So frustrated.. :o

check fuel filter and fuel line

check starter motor and smell for any burning smell

the mechanic check starter motor too..they said is normal

I dont know why dont they check the rest. They really want me to spoon feed them at what to check

- 1st time, i told them that i cannot start my engine. They check battery only and says its normal

- 2nd time, i told them that i experienced long cranking. i need to tell them to check alternator so they check alternator. Result is normal too

- 3rd time..i dont know what to do now. I cant start engine two times within 1.5month already.

all the same problem, it only can start after 2nd crank.

i didnt install anything (Except ssbh..dont think ssbh will affect this).

The rest all stock..

i suspect its really the battery.

Is it possible that the battery testing result shows normal and the battery is faulty too?

===============

BTW what car u driving?

I agree with your diagnisis. This is something that is terribly diff to do without getting hands on the car.

But I have this bias that non-moving parts equipment like lambda/O2 sensors, plugs and wiring are problems, esp in newer cars.

I would think moving parts like the injectors are at fault. Anyway are your fuel consumption abnormally high?

I agree with your diagnisis. This is something that is terribly diff to do without getting hands on the car.

But I have this bias that non-moving parts equipment like lambda/O2 sensors, plugs and wiring are problems, esp in newer cars.

I would think moving parts like the injectors are at fault. Anyway are your fuel consumption abnormally high?

FC is still ok for me considering its new car.. (9.9km/l)

so i think i just wait till the car die off completely and let them tow it at their cost..but i am worrying about my reservist period in 2 months time.

Its a 3 weeks reservist and say if it really cannot start, it will be so troublesome

just a guess maybe your defination of a long crank is different from others... post a video lah... anyways you comparing your altis with wats your previous car?

by the way...

*do you on radio or cd with engine on? note tat you only drive 15km a day... this should weaken your batt a great deal as it cant get charged enuf..

*in the morning do you put in your key and immediately turn cockwise all the way? cause i ALWAYS give one turn first... let the lights light up... (my meters to do their opening ceremony smtimes) wait at least 3 secounds then turn and car will start... this will give time for the current to run into the starter motor and other parts of the car properly before you crank the car... (previous car (Honda) i wait for engine check light to go off 1st then start)...

okok i think i explained very badly... give up....

since your car is new, just demand for a fix with your active warranty.

my guess -> starter motor.

but who knows, maybe really is the battery.

just a guess maybe your defination of a long crank is different from others... post a video lah... anyways you comparing your altis with wats your previous car?

yes..thats what i thought also..my definition of long crank is different from others..i have took a video, how to upload it here ah?

The cranking difference is

Turn key, hold 1-2second and voom = normal

My not normal is, Turn key, hold 5-6seconds and voom...

So the sound is "ee ee ee ee ee ee ee voom"

I am comparing with my previous car Sunny.

*do you on radio or cd with engine on? note tat you only drive 15km a day... this should weaken your batt a great deal as it cant get charged enuf..

u explain very well bro, i understand what you mean, i am thinking about this possibility too...

yes i turn on engine with cd / radio on...

i have tried turn it off to start engine, but the long crank still appears.

My previous 2 rides all turn on engine with cd / radio also all ok.no problem..

*in the morning do you put in your key and immediately turn cockwise all the way? cause i ALWAYS give one turn first... let the lights light up... (my meters to do their opening ceremony smtimes) wait at least 3 secounds then turn and car will start... this will give time for the current to run into the starter motor and other parts of the car properly before you crank the car... (previous car (Honda) i wait for engine check light to go off 1st then start)...

hmmm.....ya today i cant start the engine cos i am in hurry...i give one turn first, lights havent all up yet and i make the 2nd full turn...so the engine didnt start. I turn it off again and do your method, it started

So is it really that for some cars, have to let all the lights up first, let them do the opening ceremony before i make the 2nd turn...?

i am also comparing with my previous sunny and previous Lancer, no need to wait for full opening ceremony

Thanks anyway bro, this tips is perfect.i try this method for a while first and update again [thumbsup]

since your car is new, just demand for a fix with your active warranty.

my guess -> starter motor.

but who knows, maybe really is the battery.

i dont know what to do..with all these symtoms that is not normal to me, those mechanics says its normal

Failure to start engine twice already and long cranking also normal to them

i dont know if they really do their job to check or not, or its too complex to check

i also dont know if the problem lies with me or not, eg (i should make sure all electrical stuffs are off first before i start the engine)

At first i thought that i didnt hold my key long enough, thats why it cannot start

but today the problem comes back again. This time i hold and hold, it really cannot start

i'm driving a sunny now crank to start is instant... my previous hondas also instant... from your discription your starter motor is not normal... to confirm get same model altis owners to start your car and tell you the difference...

actually many possibilities... maybe plugs wrong temp...

but my advise... HONESTLY if i were you... i will go back to borneo, MAKE THEM settle this problem.... i will freaking remind them the car is UNDER WARRANTY.... i wont give a s--t i want the car to crank as it did when i got it... i will get their test drive cars and crank and ask them to explain wtf is wrong... will speak to ppl in charge... write to upper managment... worst write to Japan but will take too long... best is NewPaper to do a full page or 2 page report... on how Borneo tried to make me believe its normal... get all mech who spoke to you the full names... i dont give a fcuk i just want the motor starter to work as it should thats all... [furious]

haha [laugh] good luck bro... do update us on your car yah... ^_^

Hi TS,

Sad to tell you that Borneo Motor Service mechanic are HOPELESS!

Seriously need to spoon feed them to tell them what to do.

Anyway, how do they check your battery?

Just clamp the 2 terminals and read or they got test with the engine cranking?

Spark plug I believe should can factor in too. Ask them to check for you.

If they still say your car is normal, dare them to compare with another Altis.

I did this to the mechanic for my Vios regarding my compressor noise.

He say my Vios's compressor noise is perfectly normal (Of course I know it's not normal. I drive for how long liao?)

I dare him to take another Vios and compare. (He is stupid enough to take an older Vios to compare.)

In the end, Old Vios aircon compressor noise QUIETER than my newer Vios!

He LLST diam diam.

bro, did u try before that :

You didnt wait for the opening ceremony and turn..

So the car eventually really cannot start or take longer time to crank right?

Always remember one thing.

Don't give them a damm or give them face!

I think they simply don't deserve it.

Last time I go there always Walk in Smile Smile Walk out face black black. WITHOUT FAIL!

i dont know what to do..with all these symtoms that is not normal to me, those mechanics says its normal

Failure to start engine twice already and long cranking also normal to them

i dont know if they really do their job to check or not, or its too complex to check

i also dont know if the problem lies with me or not, eg (i should make sure all electrical stuffs are off first before i start the engine)

At first i thought that i didnt hold my key long enough, thats why it cannot start

but today the problem comes back again. This time i hold and hold, it really cannot start

i dunno whats wrong with your ride but long long time ago my old lemon manual car also need to crank a bit longer than normal. you can try 1) in the morning give the accelerator 1-2 pumps and then start the engine or 2) when cranking step on the accelerator a bit. dunno of this will work for modern auto cars or not but see if doing this will make you to start faster. try to isolate the areas.....as one bro mentioned it could also be the fuel.

↡ Advertisement