Lexus IS250 v Audi A4

Pokyman

I would go for Audi A4, it is bigger and driver way better than Lexus IS250. :D

Reading until now, I could guess that people will discuss between V6 vs inline 4, NA vs turbocharge. But 1 think for sure, A4 from spec looks hella bigger than the IS.

And someone would claim lexus is like toyota. So the choice is yours actually.

somehow i stil dun understand where did the IS 205 horses go...the car is really poor in pickup...during my testdrive, the swift (normal one) was pulling away fr the lights while the IS jus takes its own sweet time...enuff is enuff and i switch to PWR mode...not much diff and on my return leg to the showroom, i went manual changing up at 4-5k...while the willingness to rev is there, it is simply not translating to real speed...but all tat said, it is eeriely silent in the cabin...

the A4 is simply another animal...alot more drive involvement...gun the throttle and the car reacts..alas the FWD...even tho i had the dynamic on the audi drive select...it simply is not RWD substitute...but the drive is fun, engaging, louder and noisier din matter to me at all...and MTM brings it up to 210bhp...if wallet allows, the 2.0 Quattro hits 270bhp aft MTM...

is250 peak torque of 250nm comes in at about 4800rpm while a similar torque rating for the a4 1.8 comes in at a very low 1500rpm. That being said, it really depends on what you are looking for in a car, higher perceived quality (continental looking) and a sportier drive, go for the a4. For smoothness and quiet, good enough power off the line which gets much better once you get it going plus a more conventional feel of a torque converter autobox, go for the is250.

wow. [:p]

Wanna apply for Ferrari engineer?.. no experience needed, computer with internet access can leow....

any model in the Lexus line-up, including the 'Junior Executive' IS model, isn't really meant for fast acceleration and blasting down the road....

seated in the IS cabin, all you'll ever want is to cruise down the highway, drive within speed limit, take it easy on the throttle and enjoy your drive....

that's what Lexus' are for....

you want something that'll up your testosterone levels, get the A4 2.0T or C250CGI....

the new 3-Series coming out next year, so the current 3-Series shouldn't be in your consideration list.....

is250 peak torque of 250nm comes in at about 4800rpm while a similar torque rating for the a4 1.8 comes in at a very low 1500rpm. That being said, it really depends on what you are looking for in a car, higher perceived quality (continental looking) and a sportier drive, go for the a4. For smoothness and quiet, good enough power off the line which gets much better once you get it going plus a more conventional feel of a torque converter autobox, go for the is250.

Actually the A4 1.8 is rubbish IMHO...

The CVT robs the car of its power - pedal to the metal before and almost still in the same place and can hardly feel the turbo effect...

I turned to the SE and she turned back and smile lamely at me - WTF

If it's the A4 you want, go for the 2.0 - accept nothing less [:p]

Otherwise, the C180 drives a lot better with its new turbo plantpower...

somehow i stil dun understand where did the IS 205 horses go...the car is really poor in pickup...during my testdrive, the swift (normal one) was pulling away fr the lights while the IS jus takes its own sweet time...enuff is enuff and i switch to PWR mode...not much diff and on my return leg to the showroom, i went manual changing up at 4-5k...while the willingness to rev is there, it is simply not translating to real speed...but all tat said, it is eeriely silent in the cabin...

the A4 is simply another animal...alot more drive involvement...gun the throttle and the car reacts..alas the FWD...even tho i had the dynamic on the audi drive select...it simply is not RWD substitute...but the drive is fun, engaging, louder and noisier din matter to me at all...and MTM brings it up to 210bhp...if wallet allows, the 2.0 Quattro hits 270bhp aft MTM...

i also feel the same. 205BHP but all nowhere to be felt. maybe its because the drive is too insulated and steering is too numb. too refined and comfortable at the same time. all these probably added up together to mask the feeling of going fast or the sensation of speed.

test drove one before, pressed pedal to the end and.....ok that's it? even with paddle shifters, also lazy to play with 6spd gearbox because too numb already.

did the same for audi a4 2.0t, err... really poisoning and fast in my opinion. maybe its because the turbo comes in very early @ 1500rpm.

whereas the lexus is gradual acceleration.. smooth and relaxed.

space wise, i dont like it in the lexus. i'm not very tall but the sunvisor can hit my head when i let it down. the headroom is equally small. my gf cannot make up properly in the car because the sunvisor and the mirror embedded is too near to the face, can't see s--t. behind, 2 adults sitting together is quite cramped already.

lastly its the design, lexus is250, although still looks good, its a dated design.. probably getting a new model next yr or so++. while the a4 is still fresh. for me, this is a big consideration and significant factor, i wouldnt wanna drive something thats discontinued soon or an older design.

Neutral Newbie

The next is250 revision is coming in 2012, if the rumours are to be believed. The recent 2009 facelift is a mid-life-cycle update...putting the car on a 6 year lifespan

IMO the curves and bodyline of an IS looks far better than an a4. But i'm biased [rolleyes] . Had the car 1.5 years and i still turn back and steal glances as i walk away from my car after parking it.

The problem that most people dont seem to appreciate is that speed is more of a perception than actuality. The lexus, due to its smooth and almost silent power delivery, combined with its high-revving nature which puts peak power at the high end of the rpm range, gives a very muted perception of "hey look at how fast i'm going" as opposed to a low end-grunt force-inducted small(er) capacity 4 cylinder. Like it or not, how we percieve speed has a lot to do with noise, torque, and vibration, rather than what the speedo is telling us. IIRC 0-100 timings will actually be a lot closer than you think. My is250 manages a mid 8 sec 0-100 which is pretty much as advertised which i believe is similar to the A4.

Personally i love my choice and wouldnt touch an overpriced front wheel drive 4 cylinder car which is the audi a4 with a 10 foot pole

Most brand conscious singaporeans would probably feel differently and it shows on the roads. Different strokes for different folks.

as i've said, it's a Lexus.....

you want power and feel-it-all acceleration, go for a turbo model....

CVT transmission robs all cars, whatsoever power it has, of it's power....

you can have a CVT transmission on an AMG and you'll still feel you're driving an underpowered car....

the CVT trans delivers power linearly, so no pin-back to your seat action....

The next is250 revision is coming in 2012, if the rumours are to be believed. The recent 2009 facelift is a mid-life-cycle update...putting the car on a 6 year lifespan

IMO the curves and bodyline of an IS looks far better than an a4. But i'm biased [rolleyes] . Had the car 1.5 years and i still turn back and steal glances as i walk away from my car after parking it.

The problem that most people dont seem to appreciate is that speed is more of a perception than actuality. The lexus, due to its smooth and almost silent power delivery, combined with its high-revving nature which puts peak power at the high end of the rpm range, gives a very muted perception of "hey look at how fast i'm going" as opposed to a low end-grunt force-inducted small(er) capacity 4 cylinder. Like it or not, how we percieve speed has a lot to do with noise, torque, and vibration, rather than what the speedo is telling us. IIRC 0-100 timings will actually be a lot closer than you think. My is250 manages a mid 8 sec 0-100 which is pretty much as advertised which i believe is similar to the A4.

Personally i love my choice and wouldnt touch an overpriced front wheel drive 4 cylinder car which is the audi a4 with a 10 foot pole

Most brand conscious singaporeans would probably feel differently and it shows on the roads. Different strokes for different folks.

bro

you wont believe the feeling of a modded FI 4 pot engine slamming you back against your seat

its addictive

i bought the lexus for my babies, i guess it your choice, i bought it due to easy maintance , reasonable consumption as i need to run about more. plus safety.

if i am alone i would get either a turbo charge car for myself. so no right or wrong just what you need.