How does get Exhaust System approved?

Versatile

Hi,

Under what circumstances can LTA approved certain Exhaust system for specified car brand/model?

Due to popular demand? Workshop? If specified workshop to propose certain exhaust system for specified car brand/model, does the workshop have to pay a certain amount for it to be approved?

I'm actually thinking of getting reputated workshop to get submit exhaust system to certified exhaust system for Hyundai Avante and of cos, the demand for it must be met before i actually propose it to the workshop.

Your input to this big question mark in my mind will be much appreciated.

↡ Advertisement

from my experience, exhaust approval depends on volume, and also which part of exhaust. if back end, plus approved volume, it will go through. if decat and further up, it is illegal.

anyway, the shops like Fong kim, Jeep Chee, Mann have approved exhausts. u just use that cert and go to LTA for approval. cost about $70.

from my experience, exhaust approval depends on volume, and also which part of exhaust. if back end, plus approved volume, it will go through. if decat and further up, it is illegal.

anyway, the shops like Fong kim, Jeep Chee, Mann have approved exhausts. u just use that cert and go to LTA for approval. cost about $70.

Can you define volume? As in demand/quota? If it's normal w/o decat after-market exhaust, it depends on the workshops if they want to do it am i right to say that?

I have checked with FK and they do not have approved exhaust systems for Avante, sadly.

Don't forget still got NEA emissions test..

And then u gotta pay PSB to do all the testing...

test here test there... $$$$$$$$$.

Don't forget still got NEA emissions test..

And then u gotta pay PSB to do all the testing...

test here test there... $$$$$$$$$.

Thanks Krado.

Normally for such test's, all will be paid by workshop right?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Dun think it works just like that, i.e., got demand, have supply, cough up money and time send to LTA sure get green light. The workshop will also wanna turn a profit. I'll get to that in my last point.

If I'm not wrong first have to get the actual exhaust ya intend to submit for approval, then have to find an actual car identical to the one ya intend to have it marketed for, in this case is the Hyundai Avante. Then have to get independant testing by labs to show compliance with emissions, safety etc. Then with the results as well as the setup send for LTA to let them approve. I'm sure I left out a lot of other details that requires both time and money but I'm sure ya would have thought of it beforehand. But the one thing that strikes me is this..

Isn't the current Avante a model that's gonna be replaced by a new generation in 2011? If so, then why would I wanna spend money getting your approved exhaust when I know that the car is gonna reach EOL next year? It's a frugal and highly effcient family sedan with handsome looks for sure but it's not exactly a GTR34, Silvia or even RX7 where there's certain demand for their parts even after they've long since stopped production.

If ya want, do a poll or something to be sure. Maybe something like "Would you prefer a Avante Xth generation or Avante Yth generation?" with X being the current one and Y being the next one. I dunno their numbers [:p]

P.S: I only know of some Jap cars but I'm sure there's plenty of conti examples ard too.

Edited by Melvyn

Thanks Krado.

Normally for such test's, all will be paid by workshop right?

That I dunno. Have to ask those lao jiao already. [laugh]

Dun think it works just like that, i.e., got demand, have supply, cough up money and time send to LTA sure get green light. The workshop will also wanna turn a profit. I'll get to that in my last point.

If I'm not wrong first have to get the actual exhaust ya intend to submit for approval, then have to find an actual car identical to the one ya intend to have it marketed for, in this case is the Hyundai Avante. Then have to get independant testing by labs to show compliance with emissions, safety etc. Then with the results as well as the setup send for LTA to let them approve. I'm sure I left out a lot of other details that requires both time and money but I'm sure ya would have thought of it beforehand. But the one thing that strikes me is this..

Isn't the current Avante a model that's gonna be replaced by a new generation in 2011? If so, then why would I wanna spend money getting your approved exhaust when I know that the car is gonna reach EOL next year? It's a frugal and highly effcient family sedan with handsome looks for sure but it's not exactly a GTR34, Silvia or even RX7 where there's certain demand for their parts even after they've long since stopped production.

P.S: I only know of some Jap cars but I'm sure there's plenty of conti examples ard too.

Thanks. Looks like the chances of getting approved exo system for Avante is slim. However, the statement for EOL and not going to send one for approval doesn't seems logical. If you're comparing apple to apple (we are talking about sedan cars), why would some sedan cars have approved exo system while some don't have? Please don't feel offended as i'm merely taking it as a subjective debate.

So far for my understanding, only Getz have approved exo system.. other than that for the rest of the korean made cars, i see none. Hopefully there are some workshop able to send in one sooner or later. Infact, i've been asking around some workshops and keeping finger crossed they will do something about it and of cos, we sluppy and demand.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Thanks. Looks like the chances of getting approved exo system for Avante is slim. However, the statement for EOL and not going to send one for approval doesn't seems logical. If you're comparing apple to apple (we are talking about sedan cars), why would some sedan cars have approved exo system while some don't have? Please don't feel offended as i'm merely taking it as a subjective debate.

So far for my understanding, only Getz have approved exo system.. other than that for the rest of the korean made cars, i see none. Hopefully there are some workshop able to send in one sooner or later. Infact, i've been asking around some workshops and keeping finger crossed they will do something about it and of cos, we sluppy and demand.

Nope. No offence taken at all. It's all in the spirit of discussion :D

Think my point was unclear.. I phrase it this way then.. Let's see. Imagine your Avante first released in.. From ur avatar picture guess is the 3rd gen one.. I did a quick search [:)] anyway, it's released in 2006. Back in 2006, if u posted this question and the workshop you're propositioning to, after approval have been obtained from then, about 4 years to reap their returns from the investment they put into getting approval as opposed to this day when ya propose this exhaust system, have only 1 year left to earn back their money. Assuming you're a businessman, would you cough up the money to get this current setup approved or would you rather wait for the 4th gen Avante to be released and maximise whatever earnings you might possibly reap from getting the new system approved for the new Avante.

Nothing to do with why Getz have approved system maybe because the car better or anything else. Just plain business dynamics. That is my reason for the EOL portion. A product is reaching end of life, would you still invest anything in it, not from a Avante driver but as a workshop/businessman trying to earn profit?

Edited by Melvyn

Nope. No offence taken at all. It's all in the spirit of discussion :D

Think my point was unclear.. I phrase it this way then.. Let's see. Imagine your Avante first released in.. From ur avatar picture guess is the 3rd gen one.. I did a quick search [:)] anyway, it's released in 2006. Back in 2006, if u posted this question and the workshop you're propositioning to, after approval have been obtained from then, about 4 years to reap their returns from the investment they put into getting approval as opposed to this day when ya propose this exhaust system, have only 1 year left to earn back their money. Assuming you're a businessman, would you cough up the money to get this current setup approved or would you rather wait for the 4th gen Avante to be released and maximise whatever earnings you might possibly reap from getting the new system approved for the new Avante.

Nothing to do with why Getz have approved system maybe because the car better or anything else. Just plain business dynamics. That is my reason for the EOL portion. A product is reaching end of life, would you still invest anything in it, not from a Avante driver but as a workshop/businessman trying to earn profit?

Thanks.

The reason why i'm finding resources to get approved exo system is for the benefit of all Avante drivers. Whether is it 2007, 2008 or 2009 FL model's.. i believe the demand is still there and just lack of someone trying to push for it to be approved. I'm looking far and hoping the future approved exo can be compatible for the 2011 model as well.

It benefits both i guess.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks.

The reason why i'm finding resources to get approved exo system is for the benefit of all Avante drivers. Whether is it 2007, 2008 or 2009 FL model's.. i believe the demand is still there and just lack of someone trying to push for it to be approved. I'm looking far and hoping the future approved exo can be compatible for the 2011 model as well.

It benefits both i guess.

Ah... Then I guess I misunderstood ur query.. Let's see. From what I know about my setup and what I heard it was..

Firstly, the shop wishing to get distributorship for it inked a deal with the company in Japan that allowed it to be the distributor in S'pore. Then with that deal, the setup was installed on a test car and certification was obtained through JASMA. Then with that, the same car and setup have to be sent over here to LTA to have it approved. Not sure how long and how much but what I heard was about 4 months and a good 5 digits.

Next is the irritating part, LTA takes a dim view on modifications that messes with the cat. So the cat's position must not be altered. That's the same reason why Toda's header is not approved as it shifts the cat down the system whereas J's and Spoon's are okay. Lame right? But that's my own view anyway [:p]

Personally, I feel that the new Avante and your current one might not have the same exhaust setup in terms of the lengths and diameter so getting a setup that fits both generations will be a tough one that involves extensive R&D. But I do hope that you get it resolved and I'll be glad to have spoken to you and given you my 2 cents worth sir. [wave]

Hi i"m using two incus exhaust tip for my avante one weld on the original tip

n one dummy. Hopping to get the twin exhaust system from incus some shop

selling but not approve by lta. Wonder hoe to get it approve

Wan to buy incus twin exhaust fory avante but it is not approve by l t a

hopping shops selling tis product to get it approve i"m sure lots

of avante owner will like to get it

Price of approved exhaust is normally 4 digits while those not approved is usually much cheaper. I guess from the retail price you would have know the extend of cost needed up front just to approve its application. Also, by the time the exhaust is approved the performance is greatly reduce as there will be some areas that are needed to be changed just to be within the approved specification. All in all, I don't think its really necessary to fit one. Just save up the money to buy a better car. I find that this advise by all the brothers here is the best I have received thus far.

Neutral Newbie

Yes I'm looking at the incus twin exhaust system for avante , shop selling but not approve by LTA . Hoping shop will get it approve sure the demand is very high .

Anyone has any pics or models for impreza 1.6A?

apparently there r not many legal exhaust...

quite demoralised as i have not much choices except for supersprint which Jeep Chee is carrying...

HKS is illegal... darn...

Let me try to enlighten from my limited knowledge [laugh]

1. Proposed xos system must/should be certified by the manufacturer to be suitable for use in that particular vehicle model. Very important step IMO.

2. Send for emissions and noise testing with TUV certified labs with a sample of the xos fitted onto the particular vehicle model like what Krado mentioned. There is obviously a huge amount of money to pay here, and it is a business risk that any workshop has to decide whether to go ahead with it or not. From what I previously saw on LTA's website, there are only a handful of labs in the region and the nearest one is in HK or something.

3. Send test results to LTA for review and approval. This is the part where it gets tricky. If LTA rejects the results, then the workshop that paid the monies for the testing will lose all of it for nothing.

↡ Advertisement