Would you buy a made-in-china car?

Cerano

to answer ts question... for now of cos a big big NO for china car... 30 years later i dono...

reason very simple cause i keai si......

↡ Advertisement

Dun think MIC cars can survive anymore if the COE continues to rise! Maybe u dun even have chance to buy. [rolleyes]

yeah you have a point.

speaking of which i think i read about an article in the straits times not long ago about the sales challenges china carmakers are facing in singapore..

apparently the crazy COE prices are driving them out of business...

quite jialat in fact.

to answer ts question... for now of cos a big big NO for china car... 30 years later i dono...

reason very simple cause i keai si......

hhaha! for me its not about keai si, rather its the cost of resolving the problems that might arise from the car....

hhaha! for me its not about keai si, rather its the cost of resolving the problems that might arise from the car....

U mean u scare drive halfway, your steering come out!?! [:p]

yeah you have a point.

speaking of which i think i read about an article in the straits times not long ago about the sales challenges china carmakers are facing in singapore..

apparently the crazy COE prices are driving them out of business...

quite jialat in fact.

Based on the number of cars sold for the past few mths, i think some china make dun even sell 1 car per mth! :o I wonder how cld they survive?! [rolleyes]

Based on the number of cars sold for the past few mths, i think some china make dun even sell 1 car per mth! :o I wonder how cld they survive?! [rolleyes]

yeah lo... tats why i think sooner or later they will be out of business soon in singapore if our COE continues to linger at this level..

yeah lo... tats why i think sooner or later they will be out of business soon in singapore if our COE continues to linger at this level..

Not a gd time for them to come into sg market. [rolleyes] But when korea make launched in sg in the 90s, the COE also very high leh?! How come they can survive? [:/]

Not a gd time for them to come into sg market. [rolleyes] But when korea make launched in sg in the 90s, the COE also very high leh?! How come they can survive? [:/]

is tat true? i have no idea about that coz honestly im not really into car news la so im not very sure about this though..

The quality of Chinese cars are improving very quickly - LDV D90 from SAIC (which just landed in Australia) actually looks pretty good. 

Below is a pretty decent review from a Chinese website, which gives a fair sense on the strengths and weaknesses. Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZZlJmAtpc&t=6s

To summarize:-

- Very practical with airvents in the roof for second and third rows. Spacious with seats that can tilt back for second and third rows. Good boot space with all 3 rows in place.

- Nice interior design with lots of soft touch materials thru out, but some of the fit and finish is not up to par.Looks pretty good overall. 

- It's heavy (2.3 tons) with a 2L turbo engine (224hp/360Nm torque) hence its a bit of a fuel guzzler at 13.1 L/100km. Acceleration is decent at 11.2s to 100 and brakes are excellent at 36m stopping distance from 100 to 0 km/h

- Good value in Australia with the well equiped base model (with a full suite of autonomous safety features like lane keep assist, autonomous cruise, blind spot monitoring) lands significantly inside the pricing of the smaller Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe

Did some reading up on LDV and parent SAIC. LDV is a British marque bought over by SAIC, which is the largest manufacturer in China and which also manufactures VW, Skoda, Buick etc in China. According to industry analysts, SAIC is apparently one of the most sophisticated manufacturers in China, with quality control that is very close to being on par with the leading global players. 

Given the size of their home market, and the rapid pace of improvement, can well see the Chinese as a credible player within the next 3-5 years, though brand perception remains their biggest challenge. 

2018_LDV_D90_Mode_0018.jpg

2018_LDV_D90_Mode_0010.jpg

2018_LDV_D90_Mode_Interior_0001.jpg

• Praise 1

13l/100km = 7.6km/l I'm assuming it's on paper.

For just a 2.0L turbo with no significant power output, 7.6km/l on paper....I can't imagine what's the real world figures. It's not say a 5.0L V8 with turbo. I think it's only a 4 cylinder turbo. "A bit" of a gas guzzler is no doubt an understatement.

In terms of catching up....I think only aesthetics and maybe interior/exterior. Engine technology is still the most guarded secret. The Chinese may have the buying power to buy up car companies but the angmohs won't give up their years of engine developement that easily.

Edited by Watwheels

For just a 2.0L turbo with no significant power output, 7.6km/l on paper....I can't imagine what's the real world figures. It's not say a 5.0L V8 with turbo. I think it's only a 4 cylinder turbo. "A bit" of a gas guzzler is no doubt an understatement.

In terms of catching up....I think only aesthetics and maybe interior/exterior. Engine technology is still the most guarded secret. The Chinese may have the buying power to buy up car companies but the angmohs won't give up their years of engine developement that easily.

10.9L on paper. 13.1L as tested. Heh, not far from my old Audi A6 2.4L actually.

But agree, still not great for today's technology.

Then again, to put things in context, Toyota Fortuner is smaller, drinks more and gets less power out of it's 2.7L NA engine. But I get it - it's a Toyota.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 1

agreed, but if overall price is relatively low, then people will still go for it... but maybe not in SG la...

That maybe

But...havent you heard of reverse engineering? All the chinese needs to do, is to get hold of one of your super high tech car.

Dismantle the engine and they know how your high tech, multi million $$ engine works within a day

They can just reverse engineer the whole engine and be ready for sale at a fraction of your price within 3 mths. 

And thats what they are doing for the past 10-15 yrs. Rem china gov fully supports IP theft, this is why Chinese companies can be so rich so quickly and they end up buying your company who insist on doing things the old fashioned way

And they also gained alot by forcing your dear foreign car company into JV with them. 

They can come up with ripped off designs, using parts paid by YOU, and then sell to the public at a fraction of the price. 

This is Chinese ingenuity 

• Praise 1

10.9L on paper. 13.1L as tested. Heh, not far from my old Audi A6 2.4L actually.

Then again, to put things in context, Toyota Fortuner is smaller, drinks more and gets less power out of it's 2.7L NA engine. But I get it - it's a Toyota.

Who buys the gasoline version of the Fortuner anyway?

Almost all Fortuners I see and ride in our neighbouring countries, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam etc... they are all diesels...

2.5L D4D or 3L D4D.

Take a ride in these diesel Fortuner and u tell me if the Fortuner is still a slow, gas guzzling shit LOL 

The Fortuner has reach its 10yr coe liao. You are comparing tech of today vs yesterday.

That maybe

But...havent you heard of reverse engineering? All the chinese needs to do, is to get hold of one of your super high tech car.

Dismantle the engine and they know how your high tech, multi million $$ engine works within a day

They can just reverse engineer the whole engine and be ready for sale at a fraction of your price within 3 mths. 

And thats what they are doing for the past 10-15 yrs. Rem china gov fully supports IP theft, this is why Chinese companies can be so rich so quickly and they end up buying your company who insist on doing things the old fashioned way

And they also gained alot by forcing your dear foreign car company into JV with them. 

They can come up with ripped off designs, using parts paid by YOU, and then sell to the public at a fraction of the price. 

This is Chinese ingenuity 

There's this thing call patent. If not for this other car companies can also reverse engineer other engines, not just the Chinese can do it.

The Fortuner has reach its 10yr coe liao. You are comparing tech of today vs yesterday.

There's this thing call patent. If not for this other car companies can also reverse engineer other engines, not just the Chinese can do it.

Was actually referring to the Fortuner that was comprehensively refreshed in 2015.

But look, am not disagreeing - FC isn't great. The Chinese have improved but they are not there yet, and they cannot rely on a formula that works for Toyota because branding isn't there.

Engine tech aside, bigger question is whether petrol is the right approach for large SUVs like @cheefarn has mentioned.

Hahaha...

Google Greatwall Landwind XL7 and then you tell me whats patent

Was actually referring to the Fortuner that was comprehensively refreshed in 2015.

But look, am not disagreeing - FC isn't great. The Chinese have improved but they are not there yet, and they cannot rely on a formula that works for Toyota because branding isn't there.

Engine tech aside, bigger question is whether petrol is the right approach for large SUVs like @cheefarn has mentioned.

in anycase, the really rich PRC, be it through legal and illegal means, they will not even consider their home grown brands at all. 

In fact these home grown brands are catered more to 2nd and 3rd tier cities, where the general population are less well travelled etc...and less exposed to overseas products.  

You go to Shanghai, Beijing, Xiamen, Guangzhou etc... u hardly see all these cheap crappy ripped off cars on the roads. 

In fact, their taxi fleets uses VW, Hyundai, GM products. Only a few taxi companies uses Chery or SMLJ ChangAn cars. 

That speaks alot about their so called nationalistic pride ...lol

↡ Advertisement