Encounters with tyre shop

Hungee

Neutral Newbie

Just wanna share my experience ...

About 2 months ago went to a tyre shop @ First Centre to change a set of tyres. Skip the brand & model part, price was slightly lower than tyrepac, which I am still ok. They bad mouth the famous shop at amk industrial park 1 blar blar blar, and say they provide after sales service (free patching, free rotation, etc) lah lah lah ...

Suay suay last night punctured one tyre. Today went to them ask for replacement. I did not expect it to be as cheap as when I purchased 4 pcs, but the price they quote was horrible ($65 more), giving all the lame excuses etc. The boss even say if someone offer that price please go with them. I told him off so much of his after-sales service and went off. Went over the other end of the stretch and asked for quotation, price is $15 more than when I purchased 4 pcs ... fine with price and satisfied with service. Maybe tyre shops think how soon can a owner return to change tyre ? so they don't bother about keeping customers. But for the latter shop, I am impressed, and they will get a potential customer. I will go back to them when I need tyre replacement.

I know getting 1 pc definitely will cost more than 4 pcs, fine .. but not to that cut-throat extent. All the bullsh*t about after-sales service, I know those are non-promises, but they are as good/bad as the famous tyre shop in amk park 1. And I know it's willing buyer/seller's world, so I am cool to walk off and let my hard earn money (though not much) earned by some other who deserves it more.

Just wanna share my experience ... Thanks [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Yeah 2 tyre shops there now. The older one quoted cut-throat prices. The newer one dunno. Maybe try them out when needed.

Very near my home but I prefer the AMK one.

(edited)

There are many out there that wanna pull a fast one. One that dissapointed me greatly is the huge one near Lavender food court.

Drove my Fiat there as I heard there was a set of rims off a Bravo. As the PCD was 4 x 98, Fiat rims are hard to find. So I decided to buy it. That was eve of CNY and I left the car there as I walked to the food court to buy lunch for my wife. When I was back, the biggest mistake I made was not checking the tires. I rushed off after paying. A week later when I looked at the tires, they were manufactured in 2006! WTF? When I went back, the lady boss say no problem guaranteed etc. As a Car enthusiast, I vow never to step into that shop again. So guys, be forewarned. Check the tire manufacture dates esp from this shop. This is the same shop that said my Volk Racing RE30 rims on my Evo X is lousy compared to their Rotas. My toes laughed.

Edited by Achtung

There are many out there that wanna pull a fast one. One that dissapointed me greatly is the huge one near Lavender food court.

Drove my Fiat there as I heard there was a set of rims off a Bravo. As the PCD was 4 x 98, Fiat rims are hard to find. So I decided to buy it. That was eve of CNY and I left the car there as I walked to the food court to buy lunch for my wife. When I was back, the biggest mistake I made was not checking the tires. I rushed off after paying. A week later when I looked at the tires, they were manufactured in 2006! WTF? When I went back, the lady boss say no problem guaranteed etc. As a Car enthusiast, I vow never to step into that shop again. So guys, be forewarned. Check the tire manufacture dates esp from this shop. This is the same shop that said my Volk Racing RE30 rims on my Evo X is lousy compared to their Rotas. My toes laughed.

bro dun be surprise , some shop selling rims, the uncles CANNOT TELL JAP/EURO rims from repical tawian rims, 1 shop actually want to trade in my friend 18' prodrive rim for tawian rims. i tell him uncle my rim 1 set can buy your rims 4 set, and still got extra left lol

Thinking of going now to Serangoon North Ave 4 First Center Building to view this 18" which they put up in the ads. After reading the posting I think I better think twice before going down to get my rim replaced.......

'Hotel' tyre shop?

yea....all these tyre shops are like black shops. The owners and operators are 70% uneducated and their experience are very focused on the physical appearance and non-empirical data of each brand and patterns of tyres and rims. Not many in this industry possess very in depth knowledge of their products since they themselves read nothing more then simply the pictures and sizes printed on the catalogues. This, anyone will some english education will also be able to read.

That famous AMK shop....a graduate but thinks like a blue collar worker. Went there once and dun think i would like to go back again. Dun give me confidence at all.

But in general, these days i think all the tyre shops and workshop must be making too money. Attitude damn bad at times. When i approached Mcwell to enquire about fitting gauges and voiced my concerns with regards to the right parameters to monitor for my car, the sales person actually told me off saying if car overheated den dun drive. I was like..... WTF, if everyone had the logic that if not required den dun fix....i suppose the whole Mcwell would be out of business. Its a "want" businees and not a "need" business. But their sales person is engaging on a level which deters our "wants" desire. Oh well... i walked out and i prob won't none of their services again.

Back to these tyre shops..... the proprietors all sound more like coffee shop talk kings den anything else. Mine gooooood, yours baddddd........ :wacko: i feel stupid sometimes having to engage them at their levels just for a couple dollars off.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Yes have to be careful of tire shops.....sometimes is not the shop owners but the workers who spoil market.

I once when to a shop in thompson, attended by the boss with good service. Bought Yoko DNA Db with reasonable price and they even do complimentary repair of rim scratches. The boss taught me some tricks on tyre maintenance too.

Few months down the road, my tire side wall kena scratches from kerb and some bit peeled off. When to shops near my place, some say much change 2 tyres and some give crazy prices (shall not go into that) in the end go back to the thompson shop, met the boss again....one look he told me side wall internal is not damage and no problem, tell me not to waste money as the tire will still last. Such honesty I'm impressed!

After around 2yr later, tyre botak liao so without thinking I go back to the thompson shop. Funny thing is the Boss is not around. The worker looked unfamiliar...but then 2 yrs alot of things can change so maybe is new employees. I ask the PRC worker the price... quoted around 30% higher! Ask how come so much? The worker say 2 years tyre prices increased alot. Think he could be right I accepted. But wat later shocked me.

The prc worker bought out the tyres and proceed to change I notice the tyres look different....closer look I realise it's Yoko ASPEC DB!! I told the worker I don't want ASPEC Db, I want DNA Db, the worker keep arguing to me say it's the Same and they changed name from DNA Db to Aspec Db...the worker insisted by keep pointing me the "Db" word.....WTF although my knowledge for Tyres then was not as rich as now but luckily I know that DNA Db was the newer model (as mentioned by the Boss last time, and by forumming). Immediately I order him to fix back my old tires and I drove off.

In the end I when to a recommended Tyre shop opp the jewellery shop who order the DNA Db for me...at a price only less than $10 more than my original price!! That's the price inflation the shop guy say! And how the f did the thompson shop want to charge me 30% more for a total different and inferior tyre???

I'm not sure if the Boss of the shop is still there but somethings I pass the shop, I don't see him anymore...maybe shop change management/ownership or shop employed a dishonest worker I don't know....but I guess that's how I lost a supposingly good lobang.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

I know of this black shop in Tampines industrial.. no joking.. the chinaman told me his boss earning big money cos the so-called BRAND new tyres are actually 2nd hand tyres which underwent "purifications" and even the threads are sewed with military precision elsewhere using special machines. Even experts find it difficult to see through the ploy as they look almost the same physically.

Neutral Newbie

Just wanna share my experience ...

About 2 months ago went to a tyre shop @ First Centre to change a set of tyres. Skip the brand & model part, price was slightly lower than tyrepac, which I am still ok. They bad mouth the famous shop at amk industrial park 1 blar blar blar, and say they provide after sales service (free patching, free rotation, etc) lah lah lah ...

Suay suay last night punctured one tyre. Today went to them ask for replacement. I did not expect it to be as cheap as when I purchased 4 pcs, but the price they quote was horrible ($65 more), giving all the lame excuses etc. The boss even say if someone offer that price please go with them. I told him off so much of his after-sales service and went off. Went over the other end of the stretch and asked for quotation, price is $15 more than when I purchased 4 pcs ... fine with price and satisfied with service. Maybe tyre shops think how soon can a owner return to change tyre ? so they don't bother about keeping customers. But for the latter shop, I am impressed, and they will get a potential customer. I will go back to them when I need tyre replacement.

I know getting 1 pc definitely will cost more than 4 pcs, fine .. but not to that cut-throat extent. All the bullsh*t about after-sales service, I know those are non-promises, but they are as good/bad as the famous tyre shop in amk park 1. And I know it's willing buyer/seller's world, so I am cool to walk off and let my hard earn money (though not much) earned by some other who deserves it more.

Just wanna share my experience ... Thanks [:)]

Hi bro,

Thank you for your kind support today.

But I hope u can clarify the tyre shop that tried to overcharge u by S$65 as it is not fair for us, Arrow Tyres.

People may not dare to come over to our shop due to this tread.

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Thinking of going now to Serangoon North Ave 4 First Center Building to view this 18" which they put up in the ads. After reading the posting I think I better think twice before going down to get my rim replaced.......

Hi bro,

Pls do drop by!! I am not the mentioned shop!!

Jialat liaoooooooooooooo

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro,

Thank you for your kind support today.

But I hope u can clarify the tyre shop that tried to overcharge u by S$65 as it is not fair for us, Arrow Tyres.

People may not dare to come over to our shop due to this tread.

Cheers!

Hell ArrowTyres,

Someone had already mentioned that there are two tire shops there. If you are Arrow Tyres, then it must be THE other shop right ? No need for TS to spell out the name to further tarnish their reputation.

Anyway, if you are so sure that you are always offering the best, no need to worry about people not coming. Capture your customer by giving your good services....NOT by tarnishing others, so it look good on yourself.

cheers.

Supercharged

1 pcs not necessarily more expensive than 4 pcs leh.. last time i changed 4 tyres at soh bro, then suay suay puncture one a few days later... went back to change 1 pcs at same price.. ^_^

Neutral Newbie

think the best is to go to car forums and look for recommended tyre shops by the guys in the forum..

↡ Advertisement