Royal Purple vs Redline Engine Oil

Rollagt

RP HPS 10W40 vs RL 10W40.

Which is better in term of engine performance and protection?

Maybe you should look at the used oil analysis for both oils before making a decision. I've seen Royal Purple and results show that it actually causes more wear than your regular mobil 1. I'm more inclined to go with Redline. I'm also kinda skeptical of an oil which is purple in color.

Fastfive1, on 25 Nov 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:

Maybe you should look at the used oil analysis for both oils before making a decision. I've seen Royal Purple and results show that it actually causes more wear than your regular mobil 1. I'm more inclined to go with Redline. I'm also kinda skeptical of an oil which is purple in color.

I'm currently using Amsoil AMO 10w40 (high Zinc formula) on my high boost turbocharged ride but thinking of changing brand due to price hike. Redline is group 5 ester oil. Better than Amsoil AMO?

• Praise 7

Personal experience from family's company cars and friend's car which I drive regularly, after at least two changes using the same oil.

Toyota bB: Royal Purple 5w30 (the API-licensed one, not the HPS version): Smooth at first, by 7-8 k km engine somewhat rougher, but not particularly sluggish and fuel economy drops slightly. In comparison, X-Rev 0w30 felt rough and sluggish after 6k km. Now on Cusco 5w30, engine creamy smooth all the way till 10k km for the past two oil changes. Might try Redline next.

Toyota Vios (old 05 version): Royal Purple HPS 10w40 - smooth till 8k km, slightly rougher after that but generally feels OK. But noticed that car starts up more "violently" than with previous mineral oil used.

Nissan Sunny: Royal Purple HPS 10w40 - worked well all the way to 10k km without any difference in feel. Later, changed to Redline 0w40, which worked all the way to 10k km too. But the Redline was far smoother, the engine felt really quiet and smooth and yet quicker to rev.

At the end of the day, you'll have to experiment around to find out which oil works best on your car, as all cars are different. What works well on one might not work well on another. Having said that, based on my own experience, having to choose between the two, will go for Redline.

• Praise 1

Personal experience from family's company cars and friend's car which I drive regularly, after at least two changes using the same oil.

Toyota bB: Royal Purple 5w30 (the API-licensed one, not the HPS version): Smooth at first, by 7-8 k km engine somewhat rougher, but not particularly sluggish and fuel economy drops slightly. In comparison, X-Rev 0w30 felt rough and sluggish after 6k km. Now on Cusco 5w30, engine creamy smooth all the way till 10k km for the past two oil changes. Might try Redline next.

Toyota Vios (old 05 version): Royal Purple HPS 10w40 - smooth till 8k km, slightly rougher after that but generally feels OK. But noticed that car starts up more "violently" than with previous mineral oil used.

Nissan Sunny: Royal Purple HPS 10w40 - worked well all the way to 10k km without any difference in feel. Later, changed to Redline 0w40, which worked all the way to 10k km too. But the Redline was far smoother, the engine felt really quiet and smooth and yet quicker to rev.

At the end of the day, you'll have to experiment around to find out which oil works best on your car, as all cars are different. What works well on one might not work well on another. Having said that, based on my own experience, having to choose between the two, will go for Redline.

Personal experience with RP HPS range for 5yrs before my car (1995 Skyline GT-R) langa recently has been good. I have never had any issues with it during my ownership and you will find a lot of skyline owners will swear by RP in Australia. Only downside is they're very expensive (100/5L) comparing to the likes of Motul 8100 (80/5L), only Motul Chrono 300v is more expensive I think. But I do agree with your previous post, the colour changes quickly to black due to the original colour being purple. However, you should be looking at how viscous the oil is at the same time rather than just the colour. It might not be as thick as it seems. What I'm trying to say is the colour doesnt paint the true picture. Typical oil change for me is <10,000km or once a year.

I am used to running 10w40 but over the last yr+ my new mechanic recommended 5w30. I was skeptical originally but his explaination makes a lot of sense. The 5 means cold start will be smoother and 30 mean it will flow better due to my car having an oil cooler from factory (only N1 GT-R has them). The key is to monitor for unusual smoke colours coming out from the exhaust. The second number is the viscousity running at 100 degrees C (from memory). How often do we actually run at that level? I know my old gtr doesnt even move over the min (like 70 degrees C) when I'm driving normally and even in summer it'll just creep a bit over like 75. Its only when I go to the track/drag/skidpan I see it reaching 95.

I'm wondering if the recommended viscousity by manufacturer has been altered to suit region of sale. I tend to change the "grade" base on my driving pattern. Like 10W40 during summer or planning to go track and 5W30 for winter or normal driving.

I'll be using RP for the coming 335i unless my mechanic can convince me otherwise. I think he's using Elf or Castrol. Both are 5W30 I think.

• Praise 2

Bicolor, on 25 Nov 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

thanks for sharing

• Praise 5

I have used both and both were good.

RP was 5-30 and felt lighter and Redline was 5-40 and felt thicker - butt feel.

RL is Group V oil and super tough. I think I can use RL 5-20 and it will have

enough protection for my car. Group V oils were developed for jet engines

and can resist extreme sheering, high heat and pressure. Car engines are

nothing to it. The funny thing about Group V oils is that it can be found in plant

and animal fats. Hard to believe but true.

:D

• Praise 8

I have been using RP for my cars for years without issues.

Since using it, the car revs smoothly and I have not had any issues. Currently using about 6L because of the oil cooler installed. The engine revs are nicer - more growl and recently I managed to top 10.3km/l in actual driving, not bad for a 2.5T car. This is using the 10w40 oil.

Next change I plan to try out 5w30 HPS, buy the 5gal pail and use. Best value oil I've used.

For coolant, Redline water wetter.

• Praise 2

- Engine rpm is also very important.
- distance per trip.
- amount of idling.
- traffic conditions.

We dont fall under ideal....and may not be operating under 'normal' driving conditions.

• Praise 2

Hi mind sharing your experience on redline and amsoil? What grade do u use?

5w 30 redline mine was a modified NA car, on amsoil no idling problem and smooth engine feelinh, once i tried redline, idling went searching, then engine have this very strange rough roar, feels like internal part banging each other like that so 1 week later i drained it and put in amsoil 0w20 mix 0w30 till now smooth like ever

Btw fc went down to 6.5 from 8 on the redline

Edited by whyuliddat

I have a Imported Lub Oil which is not in the market yet. But has been very well tested locally.

It is 100% virgin Group 3 base oil.

So far the feedback are; Power increased, engine quieter and smooth, performance consistent every drives and fuel saving up to 1km/ltr.

Interested and PM me. [:)]

I have a Imported Lub Oil which is not in the market yet. But has been very well tested locally.

So far the feedback are; Power increased, engine quieter and smooth, performance consistent every drives and fuel saving up to 1km/ltr.

Share the brand name

Which cars was it tested on? How did you determine they were tested very well, using FC?

Power increased, etc... was it proven on a dyno or just butt feel?

Lastly, how much per litre are we talking about?

Based on Snake Oil ah, all talk no sauce you say how also can lo lol. Every EO also claim power increase blah blah blah. the word "up to" really take the icing of the cake

Edited by whyuliddat
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1