Worst Car Parks design in Singapore

Troyempire

1st Gear

Central is so far the toughest car park that I ever went.

I parked there last sat to save some ERP charges before 8pm.

Went in and saw the sign board showing 5th-9th floor got no slots.

Immediately sianz, because have to go all the way to the 10th storey.

Then, while spiralling up, I realised that the stupid designer used straight walls on the right hand side.

It so difficult to guage the distance between the car to the walls.

(Normally the walls are curved so you just have to keep a constant distance from it while spiralling up/down).

I almost bang my car on the passenger side....

My previous vote was Jurong Entertainment Centre (now demolished).

I scratched my car there because don't-know-which-idiot in the building mgmt decided to put stones between the up/down passage way. I immediately regret once I entered the passage way.

I was concentrating not to hit the stones in the middle and the next thing I knew was I scratched my car at passenger door side. Luckily for me, the wall there was buayed so many times that it is somewhat smooth. So, it didn't cause too much damage to my car. Later, I was greeted with a 90 degree turn at the exit.

It's a blessing that the building is not longer around.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

yes yes.. TTSH basement carpark is quite terrible also.. hump so high, spiral down so narrow, ride so low.. bua till nobody's business.. [:(]

you haven't visited gleneagles. [;)] check it out with an S or Li

• Praise 1

Don't be so quick to blame the architects.

I spoke to an architect before and he said that they understand full well that the car parks may be narrow and some designs are simply illogical. However, these are designed in such a way because the client (developer) insist on it. Simply put, any space that they can't sell or rent out is wasted. So they will go with the legal minimum space for fire escapes etc and will try to design the car park in a way that can maximize the more profitable space.

For a car park, the entrance and exit and slopes are all non-sellable spaces that you can't even charge parking fees for. Obviously the developers will have the incentive to minimize the floor area devoted to such space. In the end, the car park design is seldom a deal breaker in property crazy Singapore, be it rental or purchase. Unless of course we are talking about super high end developments where supercars often prowl.

Developers need to change their mindset if they want to attract the right clientele. Stupid carpark design will turn off people. I make it a point to avoid shopping at Central because of all the horror stories i hear about the carpark. If I am a business owner, I will definitely not rent floor space from Central either. I have refused to view a property before because the carpark was badly designed. Developers, by trying to cut corners/save space with carpark design, may end up hurting their bottomline.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

nothing can beats the Carpark at Orchard Central... spiral up and up and up and up... and still no sign of the carpark!!!

if you are afraid of height and get giddy fast, avoid this carpark.

Exacty... everytime I go there, my GF always complain dizzy.... [mad]

Second that, carpark at yishun 10 cinema...near the erp exit .

No doubt Central and Orchard Central have spiral slope for their carparks cos both are under Far East Org!

Central Mall by Far East Organisation

Far East Plaza by Far East Organisation

Orchard Central by Far East Organisation

Add to ur list Novena Sq...

Dunno why Far East Like to build carpark high up there??

Orchard Central one will make u giddy even for the driver cannot imagine the passenger. Need to get the puke bags ready!!!

This is a good thread...everybody got to know which carpark to avoid in future..

From the feedback here, seems that The Central and Orchard Central are not so friendly hor

Add to ur list Novena Sq...

Dunno why Far East Like to build carpark high up there??

Orchard Central one will make u giddy even for the driver cannot imagine the passenger. Need to get the puke bags ready!!!

hmmm...Why Novena square...? I thought the spiral spacing for cars is quite ok?

Developers need to change their mindset if they want to attract the right clientele. Stupid carpark design will turn off people. I make it a point to avoid shopping at Central because of all the horror stories i hear about the carpark. If I am a business owner, I will definitely not rent floor space from Central either. I have refused to view a property before because the carpark was badly designed. Developers, by trying to cut corners/save space with carpark design, may end up hurting their bottomline.

I make it a point to look at car parks also. But unfortunately, from feedback I gather, it seems that most other Singaporeans don't really care. Price is still king.

i think he meant Square 2 carpark, not Novena Sq.

yea.. square 2 is the spiralling one..

Orchard Central, Central and Novena Sq 2.. all 3 infamous carparks by Far East Org.

maybe can add to list, the carpark near red star restaurant in chinatown?

when one goes up the ramp, he/she has to be very careful of vehicles coming down.

after going up the ramp, before turning, he/she has to see if vehicles are coming in opposite direction.

Moreover, there is a kerb which further narrows the turning angle & lighting is not very good & no mirrors.

cannot imagine 2 vehicles turning together.

even if you have turned up, chances are you will eat into the other lane.

Just dun like this type of carpark design.

Northpoint is another one with similar design but it is slightly better.

+ 1

In fact, many carparks, if not all have their walls scrapped somehow,no matter how wide the space is.

I also dunno why! [:p]

Tactical teaming lol

My wife would always shout when I am in my E10, she would say.. Dear ah, si bei close to the left ah!!!

That's not always a good thing you know...hahah

Women can get quite kancheong and make it seem closer than it actually is...

In the end, become even more stressed :blink:

Neutral Newbie

That's not always a good thing you know...hahah

Women can get quite kancheong and make it seem closer than it actually is...

In the end, become even more stressed :blink:

i was driving a female friend. negotiating a tight spot when gg out of a MSCP. jus nice went past it with little space to spare. she screamed. almost make me lose control of the car

I think all car parks in town have very poor designs. The worst i have to say though is still golden mile. I regret driving my dad's BMW X6 there. Almost scratched the roof a million times. SUV's there are a big no no