How to reduce air temp inside car on hot days?

Vroomtattat

This may be of help to you

Errr...I had one of these similar thingy before...worked well, until some smokers stood beside my car and the cigarette smoke got blown inside....haizzzzzzz...

↡ Advertisement

is there any way I can install a duct thru the dashboard area out of the car? or make use of existing aircon ducts?

was thinking using a solar panel...wired to power a fan and blows air out the opposite way the aircon draws in the external air.

was also thinking if can sacrifice one of the aircon vent and direct the air to the airbox aka alternate source of CAI, lower air intake temperature...might be useful in hot weather, else car becomes sluggish and fc drops...

just day dreaming over here but all the above eh sai buay???

to car owner who smokes.

don't forget to remove your lighters before you exit. under the sun, those lighter will just burst..

it happen to me before.. lucky the damage was insignificant.

so you can just imagine those heat that was build up under our weather..

for me, i just tint my car.. leave around 2 cm of opening on the windows.

it just help a little, better than nothing

thought of going jb to add those reflective tint, not sure if LTA acceptance

..and pens and toothpaste too (I kena when I left them accidentally on the car seat when it fell off from my barang-barang during reporting for ICT... had to change the seat upholstery siah..LOL!!!)...

Very good idea to use the air duct to exhaust out the hot air via solar powered fan. [scholar] To allow engine air intake duct to draw carbine cool air is idea but the sheer volume of air require can ( I reckon) create negative pressure and that is not healthy for driver, passenger and the air con blower unit. The end result is outside warm air will be suck in via all the doors , windows and body joints opening.

Supercharged

i think mine is the worst...

opc and open car park...

somemore.. car recorder, gps, etc.. really lazy to remove them as i have position them in a mannerly liking pattern

You know that hot gush of air when you open your car door?

How do we reduce the temp when the car is parked in the open? Do we leave gaps in the windows?

You can do that if you have window visors installed I guess.

Is there any solar powered device in the market which can be installed to provide ventilation and does it help?

It is my practice to switch fan on to the highest speed before I lock the car in open carpark on other than raining days or at night

When I unlock the car, I stand outside the car, start the engine and lowered all windows for the hot air to be evacuated by the fan

I hope you find this useful.

Very good idea to use the air duct to exhaust out the hot air via solar powered fan. [scholar] To allow engine air intake duct to draw carbine cool air is idea but the sheer volume of air require can ( I reckon) create negative pressure and that is not healthy for driver, passenger and the air con blower unit. The end result is outside warm air will be suck in via all the doors , windows and body joints opening.

ermm, idea is to lower air intake temperature and not a replacement for the CAI. but not sure what is the cooling effect, whether worth the modification. i thought its vacuum effect into the airbox??? correct me if I am wrong. no need to have direct and fitting tube into airbox.

for my own car, I have asked my mechanic to do a cheap version of cold air intake. intake end is from fog lamp area (me no fog lamp). I had twisted the fog lamp flap horizontal to allow freer airflow into the tube there. at the other end the tube stop short of the airbox, not fitted snugly but with a gap of about less than a cm. the tube is also not centrally aligned with airbox hole but shifted one side.

this is just in case remnant water gets into the tube, by virtue of heavier mass, will travel along the path of greater radius, hit the underside of the airbox and go out. original resonator and tube all removed.

car felt livelier on hot days and on cool days, driving it is dam shiok. so far driving in heavy rain, tested over various range of speed and over water puddle all ok...no problem.

but have been thinking about ways to provide cooler air for the engine, our weather is killing the fc! :angry:

nabeh must do simple and effective stuff else lta says its illegal...

i think mine is the worst...

opc and open car park...

somemore.. car recorder, gps, etc.. really lazy to remove them as i have position them in a mannerly liking pattern

Bro, I also lazy to remove gps but worry break in how you do it without been notice?

Supercharged
Bro, I also lazy to remove gps but worry break in how you do it without been notice?

i got visor, so it concede the opening that I left.

Plus I install an after market alarm system, little disturbance will go off like mad..

But another if you wish, can go for a higher end car recorder that comes with motion sensor.

Lastly, I believe in Singapore security. Safe and sound.

Plus I drive a humble petite ride, that my friend say looks very bengish.. so people also don

I insulate my aircon pipes

so no matter how hot the car is

i get cold air when i switch on

the aircon.

Sounds like waste of money lei. Even Warm air for me also last 3 seconds tops before it becomes cold.

Supercharged
Sounds like waste of money lei. Even Warm air for me also last 3 seconds tops before it becomes cold.

not really, it do comes with some benefit. at least for my car that runs a renault engine.

lots of sensor.. those vapour droplets tend to damange those sensor and its not cheap in replacing them.

by insulating the pipe, it prevent those droplets and if possible, making the air con cooler.

the insulating stuff only cost less than $10.. but lots of DIY time.

Neutral Newbie

No, its actually very important to insulate your aircon pipes to maximise efficiency. Else it will absorb all the heat from the engine bay.

No, its actually very important to insulate your aircon pipes to maximise efficiency. Else it will absorb all the heat from the engine bay.

Thats exactly correct!

The more heat your aircon pipes absorb for the engine bay,

the harder your aircon has to work and you waste more petrol.

Some people are rich and they enjoy paying petrol bills.

Cost of insulation $2, time taken 10 mins.

Cut one side of the tube, put over cold pipe and use

tie backs to secure. :D

Do not insulate your aircon pipes. You will not get a colder aircon and your compressor may need replacement sooner.

First of all, the hot high pressure pipe is the one that actually cools your aircon. The hot liquid refrigerant coming from the aircon compressor is slightly "superheated", it actually needs to cool down a bit before passing through the expansion valve, changing to gas and thus cooling the evaporator coil. Insulating the hot pipe defeats the purpose.

Secondly, the cold low pressure pipe returning to the compressor contains gas and a bit of liquid (in certain cases). This liquid is bad for the compressor which functions best with incoming gas only. So, do not insulate the cold pipe as you need the heat of the engine bay to fully vapourize the refrigerant in the cold pipe. Otherwise, the durability of the compressor will suffer.

Hope this is informative. Pls do not compare a car aircon to a household split unit. A household aircon has insulated pipes because they run through the house. You don't want excess heat from the hot pipe and you don't want condensation from the cold pipe. They are just built for different priorities

• Praise 2

Do not insulate your aircon pipes. You will not get a colder aircon and your compressor may need replacement sooner.

First of all, the hot high pressure pipe is the one that actually cools your aircon. The hot liquid refrigerant coming from the aircon compressor is slightly "superheated", it actually needs to cool down a bit before passing through the expansion valve, changing to gas and thus cooling the evaporator coil. Insulating the hot pipe defeats the purpose.

Secondly, the cold low pressure pipe returning to the compressor contains gas and a bit of liquid (in certain cases). This liquid is bad for the compressor which functions best with incoming gas only. So, do not insulate the cold pipe as you need the heat of the engine bay to fully vapourize the refrigerant in the cold pipe. Otherwise, the durability of the compressor will suffer.

Hope this is informative. Pls do not compare a car aircon to a household split unit. A household aircon has insulated pipes because they run through the house. You don't want excess heat from the hot pipe and you don't want condensation from the cold pipe. They are just built for different priorities

You got it partially correct but the rest is wrong.

You are right to say that there is no need to insulate the hot gas coming out from the compressor. But what should be insulated is the cold liquid pipe after the condensor. If not, you will get condensation and water dripping all over. Waste of energy as well.

After the liquid enters the evaporator or aircon coil, (there is also the thermal expansion valve but can ignore that) it will become a gas and some may still remain as a liquid, there may be oil or even water (water is a nuisance due to improper installation). This pipe will be routed to an accumulator or drier. The purpose is to ensure only gas gets to the compressor, not liquid.

If your aircon is running full blast, then both the outlet and return pipes will be cold and there will be condensation. You will want to insulate these pipes.

Btw, most cars should already have it insulated at the factory. My dad's van is factory insulated, my MR2 is also factory insulated, even my previous BMW car is also factory insulated (absolutely needed cause it runs above the exhaust manifold).

So, when you say pipes should not be insulated, I have no idea where you get that info from. And you have been driving with exposed pipes dripping water in the engine bay all these while?

You know that hot gush of air when you open your car door?

How do we reduce the temp when the car is parked in the open? Do we leave gaps in the windows?

You can do that if you have window visors installed I guess.

Is there any solar powered device in the market which can be installed to provide ventilation and does it help?

Years back cars come with some removable rubber plugs on the floor board. I believe a Plumber could help you with a thermo-siphon ventilator. I am looking for a place to do the same, if there is no flooding of roads

Reading all the posts i have yet to see anyone mention this thing. Probably i am Ah pek that is why Ah pek ride always associate with this "thing".

The Bamboo type of seats cover/mat. It absorb heat and also give a cooling sensation when seated. I got two inside my ride. Love to sit on it if happen to step out of office during mid-day. It cost less than $5 per pcs. [laugh]

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement