Mercedes Vs. Bmw- Quality and Reliability

Stanley30949

Aiya.... whether Merc or BMW also got problem and most common ones are sensors.

THose people who think Jap are got no problem are also dreaming.... why bec the German cars run on CAN bus system and any problems will be reflected on the ECU and had to be fixed. THe Jap cars are run on individual modules and any issues can be detected when the entire system fail.

Hence for BMW, Merc, VWs basically the system is preventive and Jap ones are reactive. That was also the reason why Toyota cars safety issues become full blown in US.... while our naive consumer still thinks it is reliable... my foot!

Also pls stop talking about reliability of Merc and BMW here bec they are all design by Bosch for the engine management, conti for drivetrain and Siemens for body control. THe hardware are the same.... the only diff is the software and added features.

Even the other system like hose, panel, glass etc are from same suppliers.... pls spare me this bull crap that Merc is better or BMW is better.... [rolleyes] THis esp applies to those who hearsay and have zero ownership experience.

The only real differenciation between them is the engines and chassis....

Edited by Voxy28
↡ Advertisement

I have driven BMW for 15 years now and all are first year models, first, the E39, then E60 and now F10. I change every 7 years when the new generation 5 series is released. I never had any reliability issue so far although I read from a lot of BMW 5 series forums about other owners having reliability issues. I suppose it depends on your luck. Also, we cannot judge base on postings in forums as it is mostly people with issues who will post but countless others without problems do not post.

Edited by Kiasuking88

I have driven BMW for 15 years now and all are first year models, first, the E39, then E60 and now F10. I change every 7 years when the new generation 5 series is released. I never had any reliability issue so far although I read from a lot of BMW 5 series forums about other owners having reliability issues. I suppose it depends on your luck. Also, we cannot judge base on postings in forums as it is mostly people with issues who will post but countless others without problems do not post.

waliu.. all 5 series? Do u have a license plate with only "5" on it?

I own bimmers too from various models and the only "BIG" issue I had was the transfer case motor faulty due to wear and tear on a X series. Got it replaced for 2k and that was after the car clocked a mileage of 100k+. For the numerous years I drive them, I only pay $300+ every year for servicing.... [:p] In fact the original replacement parts was cheaper than some original Japanese parts.

The only thing to worry about is bmw engine valve leak which typically happens after very high mileage. But this also can be fix without an arm or leg. Usually 1k+ which IMO is major servicing and not defects.

Let me ask how many times you see a bmw or merc kaput by the road side these days and require tow truck? Both cars share the same level of reliability ratings

No 5 on my license plate; only 8 or 3. Fuel pump leak was a common problem but repaired easily by replacing the pump. Hope they have solved this problem in the F10. On my E60, the Active Steering failed after 60,000 km (in the 6th year) due to wear and tear but I ignored the warning and continued driving it until I traded in for my F10. Repairing the Active Steering would have cost more than $4k as they have to replace entire system. You can still steer the car without danger or problem without Active Steering but the turning circle will no longer benefit from it and parking the car / steering at lower speed will require more efforts. My F10 has Integral Active Steering (ala 4-wheel active steering) and this option is more than $6k. If it kaputs, the repair will be costly. Hope it does not happen before I trade it in for the next gen 5 after the F10. As I have never driven each car I owned for more than 70,000 km before I trade in for the new car, I guess I did not encounter as many problem.

waliu.. all 5 series? Do u have a license plate with only "5" on it?

I own bimmers too from various models and the only "BIG" issue I had was the transfer case motor faulty due to wear and tear on a X series. Got it replaced for 2k and that was after the car clocked a mileage of 100k+. For the numerous years I drive them, I only pay $300+ every year for servicing.... [:p] In fact the original replacement parts was cheaper than some original Japanese parts.

The only thing to worry about is bmw engine valve leak which typically happens after very high mileage. But this also can be fix without an arm or leg. Usually 1k+ which IMO is major servicing and not defects.

Let me ask how many times you see a bmw or merc kaput by the road side these days and require tow truck? Both cars share the same level of reliability ratings

Edited by Kiasuking88

No 5 on my license plate; only 8 or 3. Fuel pump leak was a common problem but repaired easily by replacing the pump. Hope they have solved this problem in the F10. On my E60, the Active Steering failed after 60,000 km but I ignored the warning and continued driving it until I traded in for my F10. Repairing the Active Steering would have cost more than $4k as they have to replace entire system. You can still steer the car without danger or problem without Active Steering but the turning circle will no longer benefit from it and parking the car / steering at lower speed will require more efforts. My F10 has Integral Active Steering (ala 4-wheel active steering) and this option is more than $6k. If it kaputs, the repair will be costly. Hope it does not happen before I trade it in for the next gen 5 after the F10.

hmm.. active steering faulty is quite uncommon. Another common problem is the water pump for the wipers.... I think cost me about $60 bucks.

So your F10 comes with auto park? [:p] Cool....

Yes, it comes with "Park Assist" that can do parallel auto-parking. Actually, it is not totally auto-parking. It will do the steering for you and you will need to operate the gas pedal and brake as the car is auto-steered into the parallel parking lot. But I never used it before as my friend who used it got his rim scratched by the kerb. Actually, I did not opt for this auto-park feature. It came together with other options as a standard option in the F10 523i Highline version I bought from PML.

hmm.. active steering faulty is quite uncommon. Another common problem is the water pump for the wipers.... I think cost me about $60 bucks.

So your F10 comes with auto park? [:p] Cool....

Edited by Kiasuking88

Yes, it comes with "Park Assist" that can do parallel auto-parking. Actually, it is not totally auto-parking. It will do the steering for you and you will need to operate the gas pedal and brake as the car is auto-steered into the parallel parking lot. But I never used it before as my friend who used it got his rim scratched by the kerb. Actually, I did not opt for this auto-park feature. It came together with other options as a standard option in the F10 523i Highline version I bought from PML.

huh... rims kenna scratch? I will never use it. Yes the highline version from PML is pack with better features.

I am waiting for my neighbour to unload his 535.... if I were to go 5er. [drivingcar] This fella change car like change clothes.... [:p]

If you all want to know about reliability issues on BMW F10 (Ultimate Driving Machine), can refer below;-

1) http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/show...-to-date/page16

2) http://www.facebook.com/BMW.Malaysia?v=wall

Dont laught at Toyota & Lexus, when they recall their car from market due to minor problem... This BMW tarak telur coz they did not recall but they try to hide the problem as possible from us.

The problem u highlighted above is Uniquely Malaysia due to poor road condition. If you bother to go through all the pages, u will know that it has nothing to do with quality of product. By the way, the ppl who complains are not members of the club. Lastly, BMW Club Malaysia is a member of BMW Club International.

Sounds like engine valve leak is common...i personally have 2 friends changed the valve after ard 70K. Cost around 3K.

power lah. @keithchue stick to your VW...kekekekke

Today ST said CASE mentioned BMW has the worst reliability among the brands like VW and Merc...hahah

Will post article later

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/bmw-tops-list-for-customers-gripes-about-car-defects

BMW tops list for customers' gripes about car defects
A row of BMW cars parked. BMW has overtaken Volkswagen as the brand with the most customer complaints about product defects.PHOTO: ST FILE
PUBLISHED
2 HOURS AGO
Case logged nine complaints against carmaker in 12 months over defects such as rattling noises; VW and Mercedes next two on list
Senior Transport Correspondent

BMW has overtaken Volkswagen as the brand with the most customer complaints about product defects.

For the 12 months ended April 30, the Bavarian brand had the dubious honour of topping the list with nine complaints received by the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

Volkswagen, which hogged the top spot for the past two years, was next with five complaints, along with Mercedes-Benz and Toyota (including one about Lexus). The last one that made the top five list was Mazda, with four complaints.

Case said all the defect-related complaints were filed against authorised agents.

Comparing the ratio of complaints to the number of cars sold also saw BMW topping the list, with 2.55 complaints for every 1,000.

Volkswagen was next with 1.64, followed by Mercedes with 1.0. Among the three German brands, VW was the only one that improved in the complaints-to-sales ratio. Last year, its ratio was 3.41. Mazda had 0.76, while Toyota had 0.58 complaints per 1,000 cars sold.

st_20160519_lastcar_2298544.jpg

In total, there were 42 defect-related complaints about new cars in the period, with European makes accounting for two-thirds of the tally.

Case said product defects accounted for the bulk of the 119 complaints it received about new cars.

A Case spokesman said: "We see a variety of defective motorcar complaints, such as faulty engine cooling system, defective gearbox, rattling noises while driving, problems with the braking system, et cetera.

"Some cars are reported to have multiple defects as well."

Retiree Tan Chim Peng, 52, said he bought a BMW X3 in February last year. Just two months later, he detected a whistling sound when he travelled at more than 80kmh. The windows also rattled intermittently.

He said: "The workshop inserted a thin rubber strip above the window frames, but the noise persisted. They couldn't fix it."

He approached Case, and the car agent offered to buy back the X3. "I paid $224,800 for it, and six months later, they offered me $160,000," he said. He decided to keep it until recently, when he traded it in for a Mercedes-Benz GLC.

He said: "The BMW has a good engine, but its insulation is poor. My previous car, a Hyundai Tucson, had better insulation, and it cost half the price."

A spokesman for BMW agent Performance Motors (PML) said: "We take great pride in the products that we sell and we are confident that they have been tested by the manufacturer... to ensure that the products are of the highest quality.

"That said, each of the concerns raised with the Consumers Association of Singapore was on different issues. A few issues were raised regarding expired warranties and general wear and tear of the vehicles and component parts.

"PML addressed these issues closely with customers to ensure that they were resolved in a timely manner."

Case said product defects accounted for the bulk of the 119 complaints it received about new cars.

The remaining 77 complaints were about a wide variety of issues, from poor service to failure to honour a sales agreement to misrepresentation, and were attributable to both authorised agents and parallel importers.

"For example, the consumer could have requested a car made in a certain country and the car dealer could have led the consumer to believe that it was so, when it was not true," the Case spokesman said.

• Praise 2

i give up on my car alr..  

let it be..cant afford the DP, cant afford to change another.

Today ST said CASE mentioned BMW has the worst reliability among the brands like VW and Merc...hahah

Will post article later

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/bmw-tops-list-for-customers-gripes-about-car-defects

A row of BMW cars parked. BMW has overtaken Volkswagen as the brand with the most customer complaints about product defects.PHOTO: ST FILE
PUBLISHED
2 HOURS AGO
Case logged nine complaints against carmaker in 12 months over defects such as rattling noises; VW and Mercedes next two on list

BMW has overtaken Volkswagen as the brand with the most customer complaints about product defects.

For the 12 months ended April 30, the Bavarian brand had the dubious honour of topping the list with nine complaints received by the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

Volkswagen, which hogged the top spot for the past two years, was next with five complaints, along with Mercedes-Benz and Toyota (including one about Lexus). The last one that made the top five list was Mazda, with four complaints.

Case said all the defect-related complaints were filed against authorised agents.

Comparing the ratio of complaints to the number of cars sold also saw BMW topping the list, with 2.55 complaints for every 1,000.

Volkswagen was next with 1.64, followed by Mercedes with 1.0. Among the three German brands, VW was the only one that improved in the complaints-to-sales ratio. Last year, its ratio was 3.41. Mazda had 0.76, while Toyota had 0.58 complaints per 1,000 cars sold.

In total, there were 42 defect-related complaints about new cars in the period, with European makes accounting for two-thirds of the tally.

A Case spokesman said: "We see a variety of defective motorcar complaints, such as faulty engine cooling system, defective gearbox, rattling noises while driving, problems with the braking system, et cetera.

Retiree Tan Chim Peng, 52, said he bought a BMW X3 in February last year. Just two months later, he detected a whistling sound when he travelled at more than 80kmh. The windows also rattled intermittently.

He said: "The workshop inserted a thin rubber strip above the window frames, but the noise persisted. They couldn't fix it."

He approached Case, and the car agent offered to buy back the X3. "I paid $224,800 for it, and six months later, they offered me $160,000," he said. He decided to keep it until recently, when he traded it in for a Mercedes-Benz GLC.

He said: "The BMW has a good engine, but its insulation is poor. My previous car, a Hyundai Tucson, had better insulation, and it cost half the price."

A spokesman for BMW agent Performance Motors (PML) said: "We take great pride in the products that we sell and we are confident that they have been tested by the manufacturer... to ensure that the products are of the highest quality.

"That said, each of the concerns raised with the Consumers Association of Singapore was on different issues. A few issues were raised regarding expired warranties and general wear and tear of the vehicles and component parts.

"PML addressed these issues closely with customers to ensure that they were resolved in a timely manner."

The remaining 77 complaints were about a wide variety of issues, from poor service to failure to honour a sales agreement to misrepresentation, and were attributable to both authorised agents and parallel importers.

"For example, the consumer could have requested a car made in a certain country and the car dealer could have led the consumer to believe that it was so, when it was not true," the Case spokesman said.

They should list all the brands with compliants not just the top 5.

Before all the BMW fanboys come in to hamtam

There are certainly some caveats to consider

1. The compliants may be just the tip of the iceberg. Many with some minor issues do not compliant to case and these were sorted out nicely by the AD with positive outcome, everyone happy

2. The findings may be confounded by the possibility that buyers of selected brands are more likely to complain bec of mismatched expectations. e.g if one buys a continental car, with that amount of money, expectation is super high and problems no matter how minor are not acceptable and some brands may attract certain types of  "hard to please" buyers, whereas if one buys a supercheap low end cars, expectations are low, so compliants may be less 

3. Compliants may be restricted to certain models only and hence generalisation to every model in the make may not be accurate.

4.after sales service and problems outside the warranty period not captured. some models or makes may well give more problems in the long run. profiling over a 5 or 10 year period may be particularly useful

Will post article later

PUBLISHED
2 HOURS AGO

• Praise 9

seriously, no biggie.  These things happen

I always say, know your car.  No need to be defensive as it is yor choice why you bought the car.  

For the record, I drive a BMW, and have been for the last 7 cars, so surely, there must be some value in why i stick to them.

hor @steptronic and @detach8

Just looking at title heading ...

Mercedes Vs BMW - Quality .... of cars or drivers ... ?

[:p]

both same same...hahha

wait i bring Audi into the peekture, then it's complete...kekeke

(edited)

7 x bmw ... not sianz meh?

i am very very reluctant to move on with 3rd bimmer but also very reluctant to jump ship to mercs ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

7 x bmw ... not sianz meh?

i am very very reluctant to move on with 3rd bimmer but also very reluctant to jump ship to mercs ... lol

to me, it's the drive that matters.  Second only to the porsche I had.

Perhaps the next might be an M.....

↡ Advertisement