How to quit trading stocks?

Been trading about 25 years. Some years gain and some loss. Over the years including dividends, average return is about 7% per year. Dividend account for about 55% of the gain.

Actually, isn't it better off buying unit trust which over long term doing 8-15% p.a. minus watching, buying & selling stocks including hair pulling days during crisis in between?

Sorry, don't mean to be rude.

↡ Advertisement

They are talking 7% per year mah...

Dont think Unit trusts can get the above in 1 year rite...?

And also, UT are spare cash for longer term investments... and this shall consider as a different asset class portfolio.

A portfolio can consists of Bonds...UTs...Stocks...etc ( cant rem le... gave back to lecturer alrdy, haha)

Edited by Lejx

Actually, isn't it better off buying unit trust which over long term doing 8-15% p.a. minus watching, buying & selling stocks including hair pulling days during crisis in between?

Don't buy UTF.

UTFs are for feeding the fund managers. Not for you.

I doubt UT can achieve above 7% consistantly. While some of my UTs did exceptionally well while some were under water, the average appreciation is less than 4% p.a. Also, one lost the bid/offer spread from the beginning.

Also, UTs typically need adopt longer time frame - meaning if one want to take some profit consistantly, the cost is higher.

Edited by Marquee

Started off getting burnt, now recovered all my losses and made very decent realized profits.

All the tricks to success are not taught in books or courses. TA + FA is hardly enough.

haha i realised that too

TA+FA is just reference..maybe 20%? [laugh]

reading the direction and gameplay..is another thing liaoz.. [laugh]

tell your wife your trades and ask her to go opposite.. you can still trade but wont lose as much. :D

jokes aside, you have to make sure that watever method you use for trading decisions are thoroughly tested and stick to it. ARe you simply gg in by gut sense? that is as good as gambling.. or you have the correct assessment but sabo yourself? then work on your discipline...

Trading is simple, but definitely not easy.

I started day trading 5 yrs ago and did really badly in first year.. at the end of the day, its mainly discipline issues more than anything. I am trading full time now for past 3 over years, but each day is still an emotional battle. You cant ignore emotions, but learn to accept that it is part of you and work with it. Take note of your self talk. You will be surprised what drastic difference that will make.

You also have to know the reason you trade. Are you seeking action? or really want to make serious money... if its the latter, you shld be very careful with your capital and really calculate your risks before getting into each position. Worry before you go in, not after. Too often a trader gets into a trade only to 2nd guess it, and make serious mistakes later. Know when you shld get out is very impt, but do make that decision before your order is filled and then stick to it!

Edited by Chrispie

U talk like Uncle Jeff whom have the same mentally but with casinio.

i think both should be the same bah. Can earn a living through gambling ?

Successful or not is individual target

end of month if its a plus i am happy about it

but remember trading is trading n investing is investing

u muz differentiate the differences clearly b4 u set ur target on wa u wan

if not stay away to watch first

I got a quote

if investing or trading is subset of gambling, whats decision making?

Everyrhing got risk de ma but if can minimise by planning,rules etc etc

it wont call gambling lol

and also why pple lost is coz of greedy and emotional on it..if u ask 10 of them..10 of them will same pattern one..nid break this barrier..

if follow the sets of rules..wont go wrong esp Forex traders..eg 200 means 200..not more or less..

kns today my decision made me cannot earn 3 ipads..but this is part and parcel of it..bo pian so aim for other one...cannot so loyal in market de la [laugh]

Edited by Freestylers09

I lagi si, my action today costs me 6 iPads.

Think really need to relax and think what should I do next.

(I have lost 100 iPads in 17 years in the market).

haha i realised that too

TA+FA is just reference..maybe 20%? [laugh]

reading the direction and gameplay..is another thing liaoz.. [laugh]

Yup, bcos technicals are always retrospective. If the BB decides today he wants to jip another 10% of the market shares, the technicals will change overnight, and the FA is quite irrelevant.

And when trading, the CK always sets a scenario.

Typical scenarios i've encountered:

The first trick (used to sucker retailers to sell down)

- Millions of dollars of shares queued to sell at higher bids in the depth

- A few lot of buyers at lower bids in the depth

Now there is 10 lots buying at say S$1.01 and 800 lots queueing to sell at say S$1.02. But no matter how many pple panic and sell, the price just can't break S$1.01... Woo...

Another common trick (used to sucker retailers to buy up)

- 1000 lots queuing to buy at S$1, 300 lots queueing to sell at S$1.01. After you buy 250 lots at S$1.01, suddenly the buyers disappear... Panic, panic, kekekeke....

One last trick for the night (this one is called "shaking the tree")

- 1000 lots queueing to buy at S$1, 50 lots queueing to sell at S$1.01

- Suddenly someone throws 2m shares at S$1, hwoar!!! That's S$2m bucks!!

- Now we are down to 99.5 cents - S$1, there are still 1m shares queueing to buy at 99.5 cents

- Another 2m thrown at 99.5 cents, hwoar!!

- From 96 to 99 cents, only 50 lots queued to buy at each level

- Retailers panic and throw down, like headless chicken

- CK decides -> i will scoop at 98 cents, and proceeds to collect another 7m shares at 98 cents

- 30 minutes before market close, mysterious buyers appear and whack up again, closing higher at S$1.02

Trading IS The Art Of War! Who Dares Wins!! [cool]

Yes you are right. Which is why the only sure method of winning (for local stocks strictly) is to be the Big Brother.

If your 1% movement can determine the fate of the rest of the market (at least for your counter), then you will never lose. Until a Bigger Brother takes over your entire stake and more. :D

Edited by Zangetsu77

[laugh]

u describe perfectly..this is the tactic of CKs...always use to shake pple..last time i am 1 of the headless chicken [laugh]

i still remembered Oct1-3 09,i was shaken till like dun noe what..till all flushed out and immediately chiong back..kaoz,ranging 5-10c for pennies sia..

another important one is CKs pull in buyers..like today whack up 5-6 bids after they accumulated and ran..and later T+5,they flushed them and recollect again..

surge in volume play with flush out T+5 also important to see..eg Zombie last week and today..

Example of what u said CK styles is Info and Kruz..kns wait for retracement bo tio and end up gap up so much in last hour

i admit i sometimes is the di siao 1 lotter [laugh] muz test market..but 1 lotter can tio caught de rite..keke

gradually can see their pattern and play wif them..at least safer..

another way is Roll over,create volume but in same price..to roll to next few days..

TA+FA is additional to look out..particularly TA most important..if FA,so many counters cannot justified one..haha

Edited by Freestylers09

[laugh]

u describe perfectly..this is the tactic of CKs...always use to shake pple..last time i am 1 of the headless chicken [laugh]

i still remembered Oct1-3 09,i was shaken till like dun noe what..till all flushed out and immediately chiong back..kaoz,ranging 5-10c for pennies sia..

another important one is CKs pull in buyers..like today whack up 5-6 bids after they accumulated and ran..and later T+5,they flushed them and recollect again..

surge in volume play with flush out T+5 also important to see..eg Zombie last week and today..

Example of what u said CK styles is Info and Kruz..kns wait for retracement bo tio and end up gap up so much in last hour

i admit i sometimes is the di siao 1 lotter [laugh] muz test market..but 1 lotter can tio caught de rite..keke

gradually can see their pattern and play wif them..at least safer..

another way is Roll over,create volume but in same price..to roll to next few days..

TA+FA is additional to look out..particularly TA most important..if FA,so many counters cannot justified one..haha

Haha, bro, looks like we are like minded individuals. I always watch T+5 after any run. My Massage, at T+6 after post results sell down and rebound, cheong to S$1.06, 2 year historic high, now the fund managers begin to jump in, some RBS fund jipping today, some guy queued 2m to sell kenna wipe out in 1s. How to make money from unit trust when they are clearing out retailers who took a bet and went in earlier??

I like to do 1 lot buying/selling. I call it bayonet fighting - when one runs out of bullets. [:p]

I remember after 9-11, like all panicky retailers, skip work bcos i "lao sai", sold everything within 1st hour of trade. Market halt trade for a day or two i think before resuming trade. I sold TPV at 33.5 cents. Before they did 2 or 3 rounds of stock splits and became the largest LCD manufacturer in the World, and today's close 88.5 cents after splitting the stock at least 4x (effective price would have been S$3.54 based on my entry price).