Lexus launches RX270

Alheych

I guess BM is losing Lexus market share due to fierce competition from the new E-class, 5-series, Audi, even GS300 is selling at $20K discount (from $187K).

agree!

i think lexus didn't expect the fierce competition from the luxury marques like merc, bm, audi.

↡ Advertisement

agree!

i think lexus didn't expect the fierce competition from the luxury marques like merc, bm, audi.

People in this league shopping for a set of new wheels will naturally turn to German engineering.

BM think they are in this league too. They really have to set the price right in order to compete.

Their models so outdated liao, barred the new SUV. Its natural people go for the new German models at the same price segment. The new C & E class looks amazing, & the interior trim very the nice. Audi A4 and 5 no need to say much too, quality & beauty. Also BMW have new 5 & 7 series. Even Jag XF are doing quite well I think.

few years back GS300 was doing very well, could see a lot of new ones on the street, even LKY bought one.

but it seems the post-facelift model onwards, sales started declining, because i hardly see any facelifted ones around.

a late SJX, SJY plate is becoming even rarer.

few years back GS300 was doing very well, could see a lot of new ones on the street, even LKY bought one.

but it seems the post-facelift model onwards, sales started declining, because i hardly see any facelifted ones around.

probably because GS300 is an old model liao, even with facelift, it still looks dated comparing to what other brands can offer at the same price category.

e.g audi a6, jaguar XF, mercedes benz e-class, bmw 523i F10.

awhile ago, my family had the GS300, its very comfortable and engine performance is very smooth and linear. if you really step hard on it, its very fast for me.

the exterior size is so big but inside so cramped, esp rear leg room. maybe due to the 999999999 layers of insulation.

Lexus isn't doing anything special at the moment. They have only been riding on their motto "Pursuit of Perfection" to entice buyers to the inner luxuries of their cars as well as their Toyota Hybrid systems. Mechanically, they have nothing to shout about, except for the new LF-A. Perhaps they have been spending most of their time developing the LF-A.

The continental marques have caught up quickly and have more to offer in terms of driver involvement and beautiful engines. Even Jaguar has caught up with their new range. If Lexus doesn't do anything soon, they are going to be overtaken by the likes of Volvo and Saab too.

As for hybrid vehicles, pretty soon every marque will have their hybrid versions that will overpower the 'h' versions of the Lexus.

You might be right about the fast declining sales. Their showrooms (and Toyota's) are more deserted than they were last year. Looks like they are hard done by the high Yen and OMV, as compared to the Euro and pound for the Conti marques. Even Toyota with their lower OMVs from Thai-made cars aren't doing that well. Mercedes has caught up substantially.

probably because GS300 is an old model liao, even with facelift, it still looks dated comparing to what other brands can offer at the same price category.

e.g audi a6, jaguar XF, mercedes benz e-class, bmw 523i F10.

awhile ago, my family had the GS300, its very comfortable and engine performance is very smooth and linear. if you really step hard on it, its very fast for me.

the exterior size is so big but inside so cramped, esp rear leg room. maybe due to the 999999999 layers of insulation.

I think another problem is the BIG cc -- higher road tax and fuel consumption.

Neutral Newbie

Seems that the engine is the same as in the Fortuner/Prado,

tho appears to tune up to 187BHP and abt 252NM......

Might it be a 2WD????

No info on the auto gearbox.

The RX270 and Fortuner engines are two different engines.

Fortuner - 2TR-FE

Max Output - 118kW/5200rpm

Max Torque - 241Nm/3800rpm

RX 270 - 1AR-FE

Max Output - 138kW/5800rpm

Max Torque - 252Nm/4200rpm

Hope the above answers your doubts. :)

Apparently, all the local car magazines are raving about the RX270.

All the best bits of the RX350, just without the outright power as well as the higher sticker price and road tax.

Won't it always be a "lesser" version of the RX unless the owner rebadges it?

Very much like buying a Harrier and 'converting' it into a RX300.

I am presently considering a new RX270 or a year old RX350 as my replacement car. A general observation, there are very few RX270s compared to RX350/RX450h on the roads. Does anyone know how many RX270 have been sold since their launch in 4Q last year? Can anyone offer a theory why there are so few RX270s eventhough it is cheaper than RX350 by quite a pile?

I have test driven RX270 and also some other cars of the same price range. As for now, it is still at the top of my short list. :wub:

Edited by Topspin

Can anyone offer a theory why there are so few RX270s eventhough it is cheaper than RX350 by quite a pile?

I have test driven RX270 and also some other cars of the same price range. As for now, it is still at the top of my short list. :wub:

I test drove it too but it is not for me at the moment as I need more than 5 seats.

My theory is that those who buy the 270 rebadge it as 350.

Easy to fool anyone as the differences are very subtle.

My theory is that those who buy the 270 rebadge it as 350.

Easy to fool anyone as the differences are very subtle.

:o If this is true, does BM know about this? Should I then be very concern when I read an advert that says RX350 for sale because it could be just a RX270, thus wasting my time to arrange for a viewing.

Apparently, all the local car magazines are raving about the RX270.

All the best bits of the RX350, just without the outright power as well as the higher sticker price and road tax.

Won't it always be a "lesser" version of the RX unless the owner rebadges it?

Very much like buying a Harrier and 'converting' it into a RX300.

those local mags really cannot make it at all. i do not believe what i read in their reviews

↡ Advertisement