BMW E92 or Audi A5 or Mercedes Eclass Coupe

NightWind

E-class coupe without a single doubt. The E92 and A5 juz look like 2-dr hatchbacks of the 3series & A4.

Funny u should say that. Care to elaborate?

The entry level Eclass 250 is actually a 2L inline 4.....for the same amount of money u can get an BMW E92 325i which gives u a creamy smooth 2.5L Inline 6 rear wheel drive with better handling.

Many will feel that Eclass Coupe is a poser car (all looks no grunt) and even in the looks department its not all that great...

Even the Audi A5 at 2L is cheaper although it loses to BMW as its a front wheeler.

And there are so many choices for variations for the E92. The E92 was the first real Mc Coy with Audi and Merc playing catch up later, thats why its so popular and had good resale value...

↡ Advertisement

EOL is E90/91. E92/93 juz facelift le.

I thought when the 3 series model change the entire range will change cab and coupe included?

actually if wanna compare "first real mccoy" you will have to go all the way back to the modern era of sports coupes, and you'll find that mercedes benz had all these sexy coupes last time, way before bmw and audi

if strictly comparing within this segment (means all the SL and gullwing not counted) before E92 there was clk, which had 2 generations, the first of which was the counterpart to the E46 and E36 coupes. before the clk, there was the W124 coupe and the one before (can't remember model number) to compare with E21 and E30. so how far back should one go?

The entry level Eclass 250 is actually a 2L inline 4.....for the same amount of money u can get an BMW E92 325i which gives u a creamy smooth 2.5L Inline 6 rear wheel drive with better handling.

Many will feel that Eclass Coupe is a poser car (all looks no grunt) and even in the looks department its not all that great...

Even the Audi A5 at 2L is cheaper although it loses to BMW as its a front wheeler.

And there are so many choices for variations for the E92. The E92 was the first real Mc Coy with Audi and Merc playing catch up later, thats why its so popular and had good resale value...

Funny you should say that.

The E250 Coupe is a TURBOCHARGED M271 1.8L Inline 4 not 2 litre.

With the new VATH tuning it can gun up to 270bhp or so and will definitely outgun any 325i.

Even stock, the turbocharged engine gives more driving pleasure than an NA 325i can.

I can personally vouch that the M271 with twin counterbalancing rotating shafts is as smooth and creamy as an inline 6.

The torque comes in so much earlier than your NA 5k rpm and theres no moddability for your NA engine.

The looks far outshine the outdated looks of the E92 and lets not get started on technology or the interior.

A5 is not a front wheeler for all AD models and 90% of all PI models are quattro with a 60-40 rear bias.

I will concede BMW has better handling but that bout it.

cannot say like that... E92/93 2.0L also poser car mah.

although being bimmer fanboy may have caused u to lose objectivity, u ought to have enuff common sense to compare an inline 6 to the benz V6

I thought when the 3 series model change the entire range will change cab and coupe included?

Usually, Coupe/Cabrio comes out 1 yr after sedan/estate.

The A5 is available in quattro. In fact, most of the A5 running on the road are quattro.

although being bimmer fanboy may have caused u to lose objectivity, u ought to have enuff common sense to compare an inline 6 to the benz V6

For 2L BMW, i would only consider 120 hatch/coupe/cabrio. E92/93 is too heavy for that engine.

For E93, i would only consider 335 & nothing less. E93 weights around 1.7 ton.

Some ppl say Sg so small no need so powerful. However, if need to overtake on Expressway, underpower, how to overtake?

Turbocharged

Thread up lorry!!

Thread up lorry better than he heeds the wrong advice and buy mercedes or audi. Then he will up lorry :D

Funny you should say that.

The E250 Coupe is a TURBOCHARGED M271 1.8L Inline 4 not 2 litre.

Ok sorry i stand corrected, so E250 is 1.8L instead of 2L. For a 1.8L inline 4 the pricing is the most ex, notwithstanding the increased torgue.....i mean u are paying what...over SGD220k for a 1.8L inline 4?

Turbocharged

Inline 6 cannot compare with V6 also lah. One is balanced and the other needs balancing shafts. End of story.

Not saying V6 is not smooth or lousy but from a pure physics design viewpoint.. its already one down by more inefficient.

bro pls la, i know the diff between straight 6 and v6. The categories were selected based on price segments. As I stated before, and pls correct me here if i am wrong, same $$$ for an E Class Coupe E250 (1.8L inline 4) will get you a BMW E92 325i (2.5L Inline 6).

And correct me if i am wrong, in this coupe class, the E250 inline 4 is the most expensive, its even more ex than the Audi A5 2L.....

And Ok I admit A5 has Quotro all wheel drive version too.....

Pls remember that one of the consideration points is value for money.

bro pls la, i know the diff between straight 6 and v6. The categories were selected based on price segments. As I stated before, and pls correct me here if i am wrong, same $$$ for an E Class Coupe E250 (1.8L inline 4) will get you a BMW E92 325i (2.5L Inline 6).

And correct me if i am wrong, in this coupe class, the E250 inline 4 is the most expensive, its even more ex than the Audi A5 2L.....

And Ok I admit A5 has Quotro all wheel drive version too.....

Pls remember that one of the consideration points is value for money.

oh sorry i thought u were comparing within class of car, without consideration for money.

the most value for money one would be 325 i agree.

actually many people in this segment don't really hiam $10k or $20k here and there. people buy the 325 because it is inherently a good car and less about it being value for money. the 335 is a lot more expensive and another performance segment so it is not like they top up a bit more can get liao. but in this segment ppl dun usually care about $10-20k nor the number of cylinders. otherwise nobody buy E250 or A5 liao.

Inline 6 cannot compare with V6 also lah. One is balanced and the other needs balancing shafts. End of story.

Not saying V6 is not smooth or lousy but from a pure physics design viewpoint.. its already one down by more inefficient.

i got the feeling he was comparing engines purely for the number of cylinders vs price.

thoughts processed like any true blue singaporean should, lower price for more cylinders equates value for money. and that's why one should buy the car.

but to me, that's not the only reason one should buy a BMW.

oh sorry i thought u were comparing within class of car, without consideration for money.

the most value for money one would be 325 i agree.

actually many people in this segment don't really hiam $10k or $20k here and there. people buy the 325 because it is inherently a good car and less about it being value for money. the 335 is a lot more expensive and another performance segment so it is not like they top up a bit more can get liao. but in this segment ppl dun usually care about $10-20k nor the number of cylinders. otherwise nobody buy E250 or A5 liao.

well, the e92 does seem to be the most popular of the 3 coupes at the moment. Many people still prefer it especially since it has more options for mods and bodykits etc over the Audi and Mercedes.

If u go to BMW Sg forums u can see lots of parts and accesories being sold and bought, so u can do h lots of things with the e92. U dont see similar options for the Audi and Merc. These appear to be just "buy, look good n drive" kinda cars.

And sorry but many still attach the Tai Tai, old man, business tycoon or worse...Phua Chu Kang contractor image (with hard hat and yellow boots) to the Mercedes.....

BMW still has a younger yuppie more sporty image....."The Ultimate Driving Machine" tag still lingers...

i think that each of the above has its pluses and minus, and one or two are more well rounded in each attribute than the others. i would be glad to be seen in any of the above. but if price is a sticky issue for me, i would not even look at them. i would buy a lexus... hahahhahaha

so, with the issue of scrooging a couple of ten grand out of the way:

the E class would be the most all rounded, not a slacker in performance and handling but not the best either. interior is very nice.. everything feels expensive to the touch. cream colour to me looks and feels classiest. a worthy descendent of the historic E class coupe/cabrio and the CLK. the most important thing to me here is this car doesn't pretend to be a sports car. it knows it is not and just concentrates on what it does best.

the 325 would be more performance focused and does the best out of the 3 choices in engine and handling but seriously, anybody who buys a 325 for performance alone are kidding themselves. people buy 335 or M3 for performance. 325 interior is the worst, tacky to the touch, compared to e250 and a5. sitting in it, i don't feel luxurious at all. if you look at the 325 in this light, it is a car that doesn't know what it wants to be, neither here nor there.

A5 is a nice looking car and has the best interior design here of the 3. it would be good if the interior feels as good as it looks but sadly it still feels flimsy compared to the benz, especially the light doors, light everything! then again, audi never had the solid germanic build, the solidness of sound that the mercs and bimmers have, when opening and shutting doors and such. drive wise is ok, quattro may have its good qualities in stability and grip during cornering but to tell the truth is quite boring and predictable. it does the job well though, point and shoot in any direction, but lacks the feel of the BMW. as they say, it is not just about getting there but how you get there.

if i am shopping in this segment, i want a car that i can live with day to day and feel good about, whether in a traffic jam, crusing on the highway, taking a corner quickly, and turn up at the office next day. racing with EVOs and STis is furthest from my mind. i would say E250 will be my choice, A5 second, and 325 third. If a choice between M3, C63 and RS5 was offered, i would take the BMW.

well, the e92 does seem to be the most popular of the 3 coupes at the moment. Many people still prefer it especially since it has more options for mods and bodykits etc over the Audi and Mercedes.

If u go to BMW Sg forums u can see lots of parts and accesories being sold and bought, so u can do h lots of things with the e92. U dont see similar options for the Audi and Merc. These appear to be just "buy, look good n drive" kinda cars.

And sorry but many still attach the Tai Tai, old man, business tycoon or worse...Phua Chu Kang contractor image (with hard hat and yellow boots) to the Mercedes.....

BMW still has a younger yuppie more sporty image....."The Ultimate Driving Machine" tag still lingers...

dear soonmunn

if one claims to be an ultimate driving machine enthusiast, pls skip the 325 and go straight to E92 335 or M3. the 325 is hardly enthusiastic enough for all intents and purposes it is a decent car but to say you drive 325 cos you are an enthusiast and hao lian about it just smacks of frog not knowing how deep the well is. i seen many like that and dunno whether to laff or cry at them. it is the same problem ppl in this forum have with many owners of 320.

i am well aware of the image, my 62 year old Old man been driving bmw since 20 + years ago so how true is the image still, i dunno. the truth is BMW has been sullied by many phua chu kang types the last 10 years... so dunno if your yuppie image still valid.

Edited by Viceroymenthol
↡ Advertisement