Polo BlueMotion

themagi

Neutral Newbie

According to Saturday's papers, this 1.2 diesel VW Polo is already in town. Is getting diesel cars still worthwhile despite the fuel cost savings? For the Bluemotion, let's say $750 diesel tax per 6 mths (0.625 x 1200 cc) plus standard road tax of $312 per 6 mths, can savings at the pump really matter for "normal" drivers?

Edited by themagi
↡ Advertisement

Thanks for starting this thread as I am very keen on this car too. Can claim diesel under my company.

If you travel a lot, it is worth it. But do take note it is only available in 5 speed manual. But the features it have...damn!

Regenerative braking, start-stop engine cut off, etc.

Went to the showroom today but not on display yet.

If you think you can save more than 1.5k on fuel per year (diesel is cheaper and gives you higher km/ltr) with this ride, it is worth every cent. [;)]

the 1.2 Bluemotion is a very decent car to own if you do high mileage and have a small family(i.e. Husband, wife, maid and 1 child)

thats as much as the car can do in comfort.. try to squeeze a 5th pax and space is cramp up.

I actually tested the bluemotion last year, with wife, SE and a toddler in car. SE helped with the baby chair.

but the high price and tight space for 5 put me off.. my mileage is about 30-35k per year..

per tank mileage is in the range of 600-700km.. that is if you drive it hard boosting its turbo in every gear.. if light footed, 750-850km range is no problem.

engine is quiet, gear change is easy, smooth pulling engine, turbo boost is not very strong, but this car is geared for mileage and fuel efficiency more than performance..

for those JB runner's, there is no 3/4 tank for diesel ruling. BUT VW DOES NOT recommend Diesel from Malaysia due to its grading.

It will choke the DPF and made the engine light comes on often..Some Euro 4/5 Diesel engine have problem in malaysia with the diesel especially those with DPF.

For those who does sales(who don't need a big space), this is a good buy that will bring in the saving within the 1st year from fuel prices alone.. Diesel servicing is also cheaper, no plugs to change and most Diesel runs 10k KM servicing period and some even 20k KM on Full syn EO..

does 3/4 tank rule affect diesel powered vehicle? if not, then it's JB all the way liao..

not good to run newer diesel engines on malaysia diesel (too much sulphur). besides, the price difference for diesel isn't so significant.

When driving up North for a trip to e.g. Genting will be a problem, don't think 1 tank can last you to and back. Have to take the risk of pumping their diesel then.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for starting this thread as I am very keen on this car too. Can claim diesel under my company.

If you travel a lot, it is worth it. But do take note it is only available in 5 speed manual. But the features it have...damn!

Regenerative braking, start-stop engine cut off, etc.

Went to the showroom today but not on display yet.

Was the price stated? That would be the main factor whether this car is worth it. I find that they always mark up diesel cars compared to the petrol version.

Neutral Newbie

the 1.2 Bluemotion is a very decent car to own if you do high mileage and have a small family(i.e. Husband, wife, maid and 1 child)

thats as much as the car can do in comfort.. try to squeeze a 5th pax and space is cramp up.

I actually tested the bluemotion last year, with wife, SE and a toddler in car. SE helped with the baby chair.

but the high price and tight space for 5 put me off.. my mileage is about 30-35k per year..

per tank mileage is in the range of 600-700km.. that is if you drive it hard boosting its turbo in every gear.. if light footed, 750-850km range is no problem.

engine is quiet, gear change is easy, smooth pulling engine, turbo boost is not very strong, but this car is geared for mileage and fuel efficiency more than performance..

for those JB runner's, there is no 3/4 tank for diesel ruling. BUT VW DOES NOT recommend Diesel from Malaysia due to its grading.

It will choke the DPF and made the engine light comes on often..Some Euro 4/5 Diesel engine have problem in malaysia with the diesel especially those with DPF.

For those who does sales(who don't need a big space), this is a good buy that will bring in the saving within the 1st year from fuel prices alone.. Diesel servicing is also cheaper, no plugs to change and most Diesel runs 10k KM servicing period and some even 20k KM on Full syn EO..

If you have mileage of 30k a year and still not convinced in savings, that says a lot about the car being overpriced!

does 3/4 tank rule affect diesel powered vehicle? if not, then it's JB all the way liao..

3/4 tank rule doesn't state that it is restricted to petrol only.

If you have mileage of 30k a year and still not convinced in savings, that says a lot about the car being overpriced!

yes, very pricey in fact, comparing the likes of the Chevy Captiva, E200, Alfa's 156 D2, Audi's TDI range.

For the size, its paying more than the Captiva, and with 20%-30% more $$, can get the Alfa..

only thing is that it is more economical and smaller in size for moving around..

Was the price stated? That would be the main factor whether this car is worth it. I find that they always mark up diesel cars compared to the petrol version.

Diesel are more expensive, especially the range-ropping variants

a good comparison is to check on Skoda's Yeti, check on the top range petrol with 4x4 and diesel TDi with 4x4, their prices for TDI is higher.. I liking the YET TDI 4x4 more and more..

diesel engines now uses more complex ECU mapping.

there are 2.0L diesel pulling 400nm and 180bhp easily.

380-400NM are what the E250 and 300C taxis are having and thats why they pull off the line so fast..

the latest in Diesel technology coupled with the latest VGT/VCT turbos, makes the turbo working from as low as 1.3k, that's just a little from tickover and imagine able to spool the turbo all the way from 1.3k to 3.5k rpm before it redline at 4.5?.. its way different from a turbo car waiting to boost at 4k rpm..

and these specs are still tunable with tuning.. making 450-480NM in UK/Euro from some of the 2.0L is on the upway scale. however, the Traction control will probably be working overtime if its a FWD or RWD.. trying to reduce wheel spin

those who drive the twin-charged golf will know how it feel, but that's having a supercharger and turbo.. new diesel runs single turbo with ability to do the same as the TSI 2 charger.. go test the twin charged Golf to feel it..

those who wants to pump in Malaysia for their diesel especially those with Euro4/5 engine, its is best to have some Low sulphur diesel in the tank..

best to top up every 1/2 tank.. instead of 3/4 or till the lights comes on.. this will reduce the difference in Sulphur content.. unless owner is looking at weeks of malaysia stay and driving.. then may have to prepare $$ to do PDF cleanup after the long trip and numerous pumps...

When driving up North for a trip to e.g. Genting will be a problem, don't think 1 tank can last you to and back. Have to take the risk of pumping their diesel then.

it just means the DPF gets clogged sooner.

no good but still can use. i got a fren who takes his euro 4 trafic (pte plate) up to penang. smokier on malaysian diesel but just gotta use lor.

DPF is good for the air but cost more to maintain and sap FC. i'm glad mine is Euro 3 no DPF [lipsrsealed] . but G plate very leh cheh to go up north [bigcry]

3/4 tank rule doesn't state that it is restricted to petrol only.

read a few articles and some MCF bros report it's only for petrol. but the savings for diesel not as much and the diesel up north is inferior to SG diesel. so not much point. probably cost the same in long run with increased maintenance costs

those who wants to pump in Malaysia for their diesel especially those with Euro4/5 engine, its is best to have some Low sulphur diesel in the tank..

best to top up every 1/2 tank.. instead of 3/4 or till the lights comes on.. this will reduce the difference in Sulphur content.. unless owner is looking at weeks of malaysia stay and driving.. then may have to prepare $$ to do PDF cleanup after the long trip and numerous pumps...

if malaysia got sell biodiesel of suitable quality, that might help. provided the engine rated for biodiesel.

i actually used it in my combo before. smoke all gone. but so is the power [laugh]

↡ Advertisement