Auto insurance fraudsters

Happily1986

8 charged for motor vehicle insurance fraud

By Imelda Saad | Posted: 03 September 2010 1251 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE: Eight people were hauled to Court Friday for offences relating to motor vehicle insurance fraud.

One suspect was rounded up after an insurance company alerted the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) of a scam in 2009.

The case involved fraudulent personal injury claims made by a 38-year-old man for road traffic related accidents.

CAD investigations showed that the suspect had staged an accident to make insurance claims for damages and personal injury.

He is alleged to have caused the accident by wilfully applying the brakes to abruptly slow down the car that he was driving.

This caused a lorry which was approaching from behind to collide with the rear of the car.

The other suspects are men aged between 31 and 53.

They are believed to have conspired to cheat insurers by engaging law firms to initiate personal injury proceedings.

It's alleged the men had led insurers into believing that they were passengers in vehicles which were involved in accidents.

Anyone convicted of cheating can be jailed up to 10 years and fined.

The 38-year-old suspect in the first case faces an additional charge of reckless driving.

If convicted, he could be fined up to S$3,000 and jailed up to 12 months.

Director of the Commercial Affairs Department Mr Ong Hian Sun said: "Police take a very serious view of such offences. We will not hesitate to take firm action against perpetrators of such crimes."

-CNA/wk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[furious] [furious] tmd why dont he attempt to jam break in front of a 5 tonner. As if Sg auto insurance is not enough, morons like this should be lined up and shot [rifle]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Man jailed six months for motor insurance fraud
PUBLISHED ON JUN 10, 2015
jdgo10e.jpg
Godfrey Liew Kok Hon, 39, a former financial planner, admitted to one of three charges of conspiracy to cheat. -- PHOTO: ST FILE
BY ELENA CHONG
SINGAPORE - A man who conspired with three others to cheat NTUC Insurance in a motor insurance scam was jailed for six months on Wednesday.
Godfrey Liew Kok Hon, 39, a former financial planner, admitted to one of three charges of conspiracy to cheat.
He conspired with Su Chia Ern, 44, Pan Weida Pepin, 31, and Tan Eng Chui, 43, to dupe NTUC into believing that an accident had taken place along Upper Thomson Road between his car and another in April 2009.
He induced the insurer to pay $1,400 to motor workshop Concept Services Enterprise, as payment for an own property damage claim.
Tan, a phantom driver, was jailed for three months earlier this year. The cases against the alleged masterminds are pending.
The syndicate was behind fraudulent claims stemming out of nine purported accidents involving 20 people.
Claims amounting to more than $360,000 were submitted between 2008 and 2009. Of these claims, insurers paid $155,600, incurring losses.
The court heard that Liew was in financial difficulties when he approached Su, the husband of his wife's sister, for money.
He agreed to Su's plan to make fraudulent insurance claims by playing the role of a phantom driver involved in an accident that never took place.
Liew provided his vehicle as one of the cars involved in the false accident. He left his car at Su's workshop, Concept, in Sin Ming Industrial Estate Sector A. The car was subsequently damaged to make it appear like it was involved in an accident.
He got his wife You Baolan, 27, involved in the scam as a passenger in the purported car accident so that she could claim for personal injury. Her case is pending.
Liew also obtained a medical report and certificate by lying to the doctor that he suffered stiffness in the wrist and lower back.
Seeking five to six months' jail for Liew, Deputy Public Prosecutor Joshua Lai said such syndicated offences were difficult to detect, well coordinated and carried out with sophistication.
He said between 2007 and 2011, the insurance industry had suffered $411 million in losses, which was contributed by inflated and fraudulent claims.
The executive director of General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA) Derek Teo and its motor convenor Sam Tan said in a joint statement that as a conservative estimate, 20 per cent of the net incurred claims for each are inflated or fraudulent claims and this works out to around $140 million each year.
Motor insurance premiums rise as a result, and this translates to higher costs not just for motorists but also for public transport operators. These are then passed on to the consumers.
Liew could have been jailed for up to 10 years and/or fined.

Hypersonic

I wonder if he's a "former financial planner" cos of this case...

Very likely.

Financial planner cannot plan his own finances

former mean he know how the system work and found a loophole [rolleyes]

i can give another num of insurance cheater

SGB946C

dirty green colour altis

beware this auntie lol

i noe a few people klanna from her liao

(edited)

I luv Google...

The boss of Concept Service Enterprise car workshop, Su is a con artist.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/19-involved-major-motor-insurance-fraud-hauled-court

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/19-involved-major-motor-insurance-fraud-hauled-court?page=1

This Godfrey guy must be one of the 19 who conspire with him. Expect more to appear in court and charged.

But con artist also fall prey to scammer Data Register.

https://companyregister.sg/company/concept-services-enterprise/285063

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged
(edited)

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/invest/fake-claims-soar-as-number-of-travellers-rises?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1462077748#xtor=CS1-10

Insurance companies goes in depth to even ask people for face to face for questioning on suspected inflated or fraudulent claim for travel insurance. I wonder if they also do the same for suspected inflated or fraudulent insurance claim for motor insurance. If no, how come got such irregularities between the protocol for travel and motor claim insurance. Hmm..

Edited by Yewheng

I was just thinking how insurance companies employ people with civil engineering background as inhouse underwriters for corporate insurance covering buildings.

Can they employ mechanics to help countercheck the severity of vehicular damages?

Problem is, the insurance companies are not scrutinizing the claims enough. Granted this will not help against purported fraudulent injury cases but it can serve as an additional layer of check against inflated mechanical damage claims.

I was just thinking how insurance companies employ people with civil engineering background as inhouse underwriters for corporate insurance covering buildings.

Can they employ mechanics to help countercheck the severity of vehicular damages?

Problem is, the insurance companies are not scrutinizing the claims enough. Granted this will not help against purported fraudulent injury cases but it can serve as an additional layer of check against inflated mechanical damage claims.

I tot they do engage surveyors to view the car before repair can begin. My last few incidents which was settled by the other party insurance was like that. Workshop need the other party surveyor to view damage before giving the go ahead.

• Praise 1

I tot they do engage surveyors to view the car before repair can begin. My last few incidents which was settled by the other party insurance was like that. Workshop need the other party surveyor to view damage before giving the go ahead.

The surveyors and the insurer-authorised workshops are best buddies.  Their best practice is to recommend new replacement whenever possible and only conduct repairs when damage is very minor. This is to ensure maximum revenue for the workshops.

I've seen cases when the driver has confirmed claiming the repairs from insurance, the authorised workshops will be super enthusiastic in closing the deal as the surveyors will help to support whatever quotation produced by the workshop.  But upon realising that the driver will not be claiming any insurance (pay from own pocket), the authorised workshop will immediately lost interest in the deal as that will mean more hassle and less revenue as the driver will tend to scrutinise the quotation, minimise unnecessary repairs and bargain.

• Praise 1

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/invest/fake-claims-soar-as-number-of-travellers-rises?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1462077748#xtor=CS1-10

Insurance companies goes in depth to even ask people for face to face for questioning on suspected inflated or fraudulent claim for travel insurance. I wonder if they also do the same for suspected inflated or fraudulent insurance claim for motor insurance. If no, how come got such irregularities between the protocol for travel and motor claim insurance. Hmm..

Assume customer A buys an insurance policy from insurance company X...

Travel insurance 

-> A submit "fraud" claim to X, so X wants to interview A since A is their customer & A must oblige to meet X under the policy terms & conditions.

Motor insurance

-> A gets into accident with B (not customer of X) and then B submit "fraud" claim to X to claim against A (Third-Party claim).

-> If X wants to interview B, B can decline or avoid since B is NOT customer of X. Policy terms & conditions of X applies only to A, not to B. And I think there is NO law to say B must die-die meet X. 

See the difference?

Hmm...

Compare the annual premium for covering 1 entire building vs covering 1 entire car & then compare the losses from a claim from 1 whole building vs claim from 1 whole car - which is higher / bigger total risk to the insurance company?

Anyway some insurance companies have employed in-house surveyors to look at damaged cars but may not be looking at all damaged cars. And yes, I think some/most of these in-house staff are former mechanics or trained in mechanics.

↡ Advertisement