Disciplining children or child abuse?

Ahtong

I contradict mineself on this on one hand i want them to be ready, emotion wise, dealing with ppl, tough but on the other hand i am protecting them, like a green house. I just want him to have a happy childhood.

Without bitter, how to taste sweetness.

↡ Advertisement

never hit their face, if you lose control of the amount of force intended, it may damaged their ears or something...for me its caning on their legs, but then, i never hit my son outside yet(hope dun have to).

sometimes its true they stay in a toy store & dun want to leave, so i stay with him till he sianz then leave...sometimes must take things easy, dun rush here rush there, kids dun have a concept of time, all they know is play & eat, play & eat.

I just want him to have a happy childhood.

I used to think so too. But the only people who're constantly happy, are those constantly on drugs lol. Children, like all of humanity, is sometimes happy, sometimes not happy. It's just too bad, that's human life.

If my children have to be unhappy sometimes to learn something important, too bad. I'm not their clown to constantly make them happy, they got Barney and Elmo for that LOL

sometimes its true they stay in a toy store & dun want to leave, so i stay with him till he sianz then leave...sometimes must take things easy, dun rush here rush there, kids dun have a concept of time, all they know is play & eat, play & eat.

sometimes can't be helped. Die-die must go. Or else she's going to get run over by trolleys and pallets of new toys. The shop is being re-stocked and there's stock-taking :(

abuse and discipline are viewed with different perspectives... some will see as abuse (bro batman), some not..

i remember reading an article (in NZ) that it is illegal to smack children.. the parents can be arrested.. how? abuse?

i think all parents love their kids.. their method of delivery is different..

Not exactly true, but that's how its often reported and regarded

Neutral Newbie

to those who objects to corporal punishment, namely caning, tell the judge,

'pls don't cane my son. A reprimand and re education will do.' [idea]

teach children is like teaching a dog...

must cane until obedient lol....

unfortunately i didnt do that to my dog so ended up my dog bullies me.

to those who objects to corporal punishment, namely caning, tell the judge,

'pls don't cane my son. A reprimand and re education will do.' [idea]

object doesn't mean the kid will do wrong and be punished.....

agree doesn't mean the kid will do right and will not be punished .....

caning at young age or not does not have direct connection to the future wrong doing [;)]

I've seen worst public thrashing of kids, my heart goes out to them but if that's how their parents discipline them there's nothing much we can do.

Was at Swensen's 2 weeks and witnessed a mother punched her young son across his head. "Thump!" It was so loud that almost everyone looked and stare at her.

"See, now everyone looking at me! You happy now?"

Mad!

I've seen worst public thrashing of kids, my heart goes out to them but if that's how their parents discipline them there's nothing much we can do.

Was at Swensen's 2 weeks and witnessed a mother punched her young son across his head. "Thump!" It was so loud that almost everyone looked and stare at her.

Mad!

Dis one is make both herself and her son malu.

Mad!

there's a difference between corporal punishment to discipline a child, and merely venting frustration on the child. This is prime example.

Yesterday I witnessed a rather disturbing series of incidents.

#1 - A boy of about 3-4 years old ran out of the restaurant his parents were dining in. The father gave chase and yelled loudly for the boy to get back. When the boy refused, the father grabbed him and carried him back to the restaurant.

#2 - The boy kept crying in the restaurant. The dad carried him out of the restaurant and repeatedly slapped his face until the cheek was bright red.

#3 - At the lift lobby, the boy who was still crying gestured that he wanted the father to carry him. The father picked up the boy and threw him onto a couch instead.

Admittedly, I have no idea what is the head and tail of this story. However, I felt very disturbed watching it. In my mind these actions are actually child abuse, agree?

Its a common Sinkie mistake.

Parents must assess whether the child is old enough to be brought to a social event (in this case a dinner at a retaurant) or if he should be left at home.

Most will be cheap and tag the child along with this kind of consequences to aviod a babysitter.

Most parents don't teach this at home nor teachers at scholl know about how to impart this thinking.

I like your reasoning. Let's say you see a parent whacking his child in public because he himself has lost control, how would you react?

The thing is, it's not so easy to judge from appearance whether a child is being abused by a parent in public. Even though the parent may seem emotional about the process.

I will intervene for only instances where the physical punishment seems excessive, say, when the amount of force used is not unlike the amount that the parent would use on another adult in a fight - or at least close to that level.

I will start off by calmly telling the person to relax. But knowing the parent will probably tell me not to tell him/her not how to punish their child; at which point I'll punch their child really hard in the face so as to render the kid unconscious to save him/her from further torment from their parent(s).

This sudden unexpected move would also confuse the parent into not knowing how to react and hence divert their anger away from the child. I would then make a hasty retreat into the crowd, buy a McFlurry from the nearby McDs to reward myself for having done good.

I kena slap by my mother many times at home and in public when im still a small kid ( i admit i m a devil, very naughty, lousy in school & stubborn kid). The feeling till now i still remember, i will cry but its not becoz of the pain, its the feeling of humiliation and my hurting pride. The feeling is so different as compare to kena whack at the hand, buttock, back etc... Next time when i have kid, i will not slap them. However I nv blame her coz i not parent yet hence i dunno how difficult it will be to tame a naughty, stubborn and dun listen to instructions children. if one day i cannot take it i may lose control and give my kid a few tight slap? I dunno.

I kena slap by my mother many times at home and in public when im still a small kid ( i admit i m a devil, very naughty, lousy in school & stubborn kid). The feeling till now i still remember, i will cry but its not becoz of the pain, its the feeling of humiliation and my hurting pride. The feeling is so different as compare to kena whack at the hand, buttock, back etc... Next time when i have kid, i will not slap them. However I nv blame her coz i not parent yet hence i dunno how difficult it will be to tame a naughty, stubborn and dun listen to instructions children. if one day i cannot take it i may lose control and give my kid a few tight slap? I dunno.

U have learnt something fm yr own exp. If u do become a parent, don't humiliate your child in public, but discipline in pte.

how small were u? Must have been big enough to understand "face" LOL a.k.a "dignity"

below a certain age, children do not understand this concept, and below that age, it's ok, in fact, better to discipline them immediately rather than wait until go home. How to tell what age? It's the age where they will lie down on the floor and kick and scream in public when u forbid them something. That's the age where they have no concept of "dignity".

↡ Advertisement