Changing of water pump and timing belt.

Coltplussport

Hi,

Usually when we change the timing belt, we will change the water pump since they involve the same labour cost. But what if the water pump is leaking when the car is almost 4 years old at 40k, do we change the timing belt because we are changing water pump? Or is my friend mech trying to earn more money?

↡ Advertisement

It is normal to change it at the same time. This will reduce your cost actually.

Imagine you change the pump and then later got to open again to change the belt,

this will cost you twice the labour charges.

Hi,

Usually when we change the timing belt, we will change the water pump since they involve the same labour cost. But what if the water pump is leaking when the car is almost 4 years old at 40k, do we change the timing belt because we are changing water pump? Or is my friend mech trying to earn more money?

Do both together as advised by the brothers.

Thanks to all bros for your answers. Will advise my friend accordingly. He very suay, brake pad and brake disc also due for replacement.

No such thing as suay or not as this is every car owner's responsibility. Same like taking care of a baby only cheaper.

Thanks to all bros for your answers. Will advise my friend accordingly. He very suay, brake pad and brake disc also due for replacement.

Not suay lah, eventually still have to pay mah, just later or earlier. At least do together, maybe can get package (ala cheaper) price.

Ask him drive more careful lah, don't tailgate, keep safety distance, (so reduce need for hard braking) & slow down then the lights in front is red, or turning at a junction. Not saying he drive hard or anything, but these are ways to prolong life of brake pad. Yap, using engine brake also help.

everything buy from stockists and change all at same time.... best way of savingsbut hor, car just 4 yrs old 40k, must change all these parts??? wat car is tat??

Hi,

think u dun change the water pump... should be the water pump pulley.... thats for Altis n Vios... not too sure abt other make n model

My ex-car with 220K mileage at 8years, still running on the original water pump.

One thing is that I do change my radiator water on time. The additive suppose to prolong the pump's life.

everything buy from stockists and change all at same time.... best way of savingsbut hor, car just 4 yrs old 40k, must change all these parts??? wat car is tat??

Is a fiat GP.

Is a fiat GP.

F iat

I s

A lways

T rouble.

[laugh][laugh]

Anyway yr mileage quite low so maybe better to change pump n timing belt together as e belt wil age with time so since u changing e pump, might as well spend a few bucks more to change all your belts.

Get yr parts fm authorised stockist sud b cheaper so u save some $.

Dont forget to get e correct type of coolant n change that too.

I dont own any Fiat but on the contrary, Ferrari is also a Fiat, right?

Replacement of timing belt, created these opportunity works, as most of these will need to be removed or exposed before timing belt can be replaced.

Most would recommend:

timing belt

water pump

some add in:

water pump pulley bearings

thermostat

tensioner

Do consider this cheap extras but most likely have to replace over the years:

Oil seals

Bearings

I dont own any Fiat but on the contrary, Ferrari is also a Fiat, right?

Replacement of timing belt, created these opportunity works, as most of these will need to be removed or exposed before timing belt can be replaced.

Most would recommend:

timing belt

water pump

some add in:

water pump pulley bearings

thermostat

tensioner

Do consider this cheap extras but most likely have to replace over the years:

Oil seals

Bearings

When i changed my timing belt when it was due, I also changed all e related parts u mentioned incl e seals,coolant n all other belts.

But as ts car has low mileage, some of e parts like bearings n tensioner wud not b so affected by age as much as mileage. Not changing these cud help lower his costs abit.

↡ Advertisement