Changing of water pump and timing belt.

Coltplussport

Industrial plastic e.g ABS , nylon etc can be as tough and wear resistance better than metal.

↡ Advertisement

Just changed water pump/fan belt for my 5 year toyota wish at SGD88 and SGD35 respectively. pump should last 5 more years till end of coe.

The way I see it, a broken impeller would have similiar symptom as a leaking seal or gasket. Except that it is slower to cause overheating as cooling fluid is still present inside the system except it is not circulating. Unlike a leaking seal or leaking gasket/o-ring, the cooling fluid loss would be must faster and more difficult to detect than a broken impeller.

A normal operating cooling system is pressurised at hot condition, so any small leak will result in overheating rather quickly.

Precisely my point. You replace the pump if the impeller is plastic(maybe nowadays the materials are better...but that discussion is for another day). This is a preventive measure because you cannot see the impeller. Its safer to replace it together with the timing belt.

Metal impellers seldom break......not that I've heard of anyway. I've replaced my timing belt without touching the pump. It has lasted 160,000 km now and still going strong. But the moment I detect a leak or excessive play from the pump shaft, then I will change. If possible I will only replace the worn parts, and reuse those that are still usable.

Bearings and seal issues can be detected without dismantling the pump by any mechanic worth his salt.

I am driving a celfiro 2.3 due for 80k major servicing. what are the parts that are better to change/replace. I am trying out to buy the parts and ask ws to change/ thks.

(edited)

I am driving a celfiro 2.3 due for 80k major servicing. what are the parts that are better to change/replace. I am trying out to buy the parts and ask ws to change/ thks.

Go to "Teck Soon Lee" which is located @ 42, Desker Road.

This is stockist for Nissan & Subaru.

I have gotten my belts, water pump, top/bottom radiator hoses, thermostat , idle pulley beaing from them, cost abt $250 incl GST.

Thereafter I head down to Synergy Automobile @ Lavendar Street Esso Petrol Kiosk, labour charge is $120.

Edited by Mr_biscuit

after changeing water pump and coolant, i tink water level will drop over the next few days after driving.............this is normal rite ? as the system purges out all the air pockets ? It will take few days for the coolant level to stabillize

correct me if i wrong

That is correct. The coolant needs to be circulating to push the air pockets out. Just top up with distilled water or the remanants of the coolant.

Normally won't take a few days. Just drive normally about 5km can do a check and top up. Then do another check the following night after driving.

I reckon the mech doing the timing belt replacement may have not firmly lock both the camshaft and crankshaft gears in position. This may have cause either one of the gear to move out of the mechanical timing setting. A half a tooth movement can easily cause either advance or retard timing. For yr case it lools like the setting have move towards retard timing.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all. My Volvo S80 2.0T is registered in Oct 2005. Current mileage is close to 70000km (very low). Wearnes advised me to replace timing belt although the recommended interval is 120000km. Is it necessary to replace it? I check a lot of places only says replace at xx km, but not xx years. e.g. http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/file...cementGuide.pdf

Next, assume I am going to replace it, other than doing it at Wearnes, is there another good workshop that can do this? I read MTE Tune seems to be specializing in Volvo cars. Anyone have any experience with them? They have this Timing Belt Package:

"Package include the following below.

Timing belt

Water pump

Tensional pulley

Idler pulley

Fan belt

Fan belt pulley

Callibration check

Coolant

Labour

Package price: S$1200.00 with 6 month warranty on parts.

(The above package does not include oil seals change)"

Is this a good deal? Thanks.

imo.....

just change the belt as it may have aged and could just break for all you know.

As for the other parts, if it aren't leaking, dont touch it.

Supersonic

imo.....

just change the belt as it may have aged and could just break for all you know.

As for the other parts, if it aren't leaking, dont touch it.

True to some extend. If other parts not leaking, dont touch it. But sometimes there is a lifespan for some parts and recommended to change at certain timing, so if you dont touch it and what if the parts break down before you know it, also become problem?! [:p]

Hi all. My Volvo S80 2.0T is registered in Oct 2005. Current mileage is close to 70000km (very low). Wearnes advised me to replace timing belt although the recommended interval is 120000km. Is it necessary to replace it? I check a lot of places only says replace at xx km, but not xx years. e.g. http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/file...cementGuide.pdf

Next, assume I am going to replace it, other than doing it at Wearnes, is there another good workshop that can do this? I read MTE Tune seems to be specializing in Volvo cars. Anyone have any experience with them? They have this Timing Belt Package:

"Package include the following below.

Timing belt

Water pump

Tensional pulley

Idler pulley

Fan belt

Fan belt pulley

Callibration check

Coolant

Labour

Package price: S$1200.00 with 6 month warranty on parts.

(The above package does not include oil seals change)"

Is this a good deal? Thanks.

Wearnes give 1 years warranty and free SW update. The price is about the same as yours so??? I go AD better. Unless its 500bucks different

Anyone encounter lost of power after changing of timing belt?

haha...i felt this way, but after tightening and changing what need to change...back to normal..other than that, u need to go auto dealer to set a better ecu....

Kia cerato mileage 120k km.. wanted to change water pump and fan belt but mech said belt still okay.. can change water pump and fan belt at 150k km.. is it a must to change water pump? Using timing chain

AFAIK, in the periodic maintenance schedule, water pump is not listed.

My guess would be that it is more convenient change timing chain, fan belt and water pump at the same time - perhaps cheaper for labour.

Do note when changing water pump, you may want to make sure that all the old coolant are purged out of the cooling system, the right type of coolant and distilled water if not pre-mixed. If tap water is used,  it is likely that the radiator will develop microscopic leaks soon after. 

Ok will ensure that bro.. usually I'll stick around they are repairing my car although the mech will try to chase me away to go kopi

Okay bro I'll monitor

I send u a PM.

↡ Advertisement