F1 road closure

Picanto

Really?

You really think we saw 400mil in benefit from YOG?

Will any govt or organisation in its right frame of mind lose money for 10yrs n still sign on for another 4yrs? YOG is a one off whereas F1 is an annual affair.

• Praise 4

At last F1 is over! But too bad we have to endure for another 4 years of inconvenience. 

Yea, those stupid road blocks.

I kena stuck today at Beach Rd, trying to pick up someone at JW Marriott.

It's crazy, that hotel is surrounded by roads (including Nicoll Highway) that are not accessible.

I gave up and cancel on the rider, waste my time.

Yea, those stupid road blocks.

I kena stuck today at Beach Rd, trying to pick up someone at JW Marriott.

It's crazy, that hotel is surrounded by roads (including Nicoll Highway) that are not accessible.

I gave up and cancel on the rider, waste my time.

Access into JW driveway and car park is still open from Nicoll Highway via Bras Basah Road. The jam is over at Raffles Hotel junction where motorists were confused by all the road blocks and Aux policemen. They think they have to turn at Beach Road but they could drive straight toward Nicoll Highway.

It is a damn nuisance even yesterday and  I am not sure if everything can goes back to normal today. The only point gained is STPB has completed their key project of the year and can get their year end bonus.  :wacko:

• Praise 1

Will any govt or organisation in its right frame of mind lose money for 10yrs n still sign on for another 4yrs? YOG is a one off whereas F1 is an annual affair.

Maybe the country is making money from the event but does it take into account the:

1. Inconvenience to citizens

2. Inconvenience to businesses in the area

3. Economic loss to businesses in the area

4. Free labor provided by volunteers

5. Extra work (without OT?) to security personnel 

or just a P/L of the government's returns? Besides, just because the event is lost making doesn't mean no one in the government gains from it as well. 

YOG might be one off (you agree that it was a "loss" right?) but you think the next time such an event is up for grabs, SG won't rush forward again?

Edited by Kusje

Stoopid couple. Heard from a neighbour who volunteers that Security finish work at 2am. Dun know who they bribed. And take pictures anywhere on roads here no need pay bribes. Just wait for lights to turn red. But then how we know cos we not that crazy about F1 or F4 either....according to this couple.

Safe ride. Roads wet.

Cheers

Maybe security was about to go home then they asked if they could go take photo on the road and offered to pay some $$$.

Not on duty so not considered a bribe lor haha.

Maybe the country is making money from the event but does it take into account the:

4. Free labor provided by volunteers

5. Extra work (without OT?) to security personnel 

or just a P/L of the government's returns? Besides, just because the event is lost making doesn't mean no one in the government gains from it as well. 

YOG might be one off (you agree that it was a "loss" right?) but you think the next time such an event is up for grabs, SG won't rush forward again?

Once a year only. No need like that lah.

Not every week or month. 

Yesterday I met more ang mos, and they all truely enjoyed the F1 weekend. They partied from fri to sun. They go for not only the F1 but the concerts. They are not F1 fans but grab any chance to party and enjoy.

or just a P/L of the government's returns?

YOG is a loss n that is factual but this thread is on F1 so lets not lump every sporting event together and as for other sporting events, we shall merit its worthiness if n when it comes n don't worry I'll be amongst the first to voice out if it's proven to be unworthy.

As for F1, I've posted its worthiness from the putting us on the world map point of view n that i think is without doubt, obviously this comes at a price but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages IMO. I can see u r obviously amongst its detractors whilst I'm amongst its supporters so I don't think we can convince each other otherwise, cheers!

• Praise 5

i support singapore to continue F1

but the govt and organiser must do better to ensure the "profit" is distributed as widely as possible

and most importantly don't let F1 squeeze our balls until blue black

knn ... not like the old white hair bernie vampire sucks us dry

Not every week or month.

Yesterday I met more ang mos, and they all truely enjoyed the F1 weekend. They partied from fri to sun. They go for not only the F1 but the concerts. They are not F1 fans but grab any chance to party and enjoy.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

YOG is a loss n that is factual but this thread is on F1 so lets not lump every sporting event together and as for other sporting events, we shall merit its worthiness if n when it comes n don't worry I'll be amongst the first to voice out if it's proven to be unworthy.

As for F1, I've posted its worthiness from the putting us on the world map point of view n that i think is without doubt, obviously this comes at a price but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages IMO. I can see u r obviously amongst its detractors whilst I'm amongst its supporters so I don't think we can convince each other otherwise, cheers!

Until yesterday I still saw a lot of Ang Mos shopping in Suntec City and Marina Square.

I got to agree on the returns of the event itself. And the returns are not just during the event but days before and after the event. The benefits, profits for the almost week long may probably be higher than some of the tourists sites in a month. And I also think that the govt is aware of its benefits of the event before committing further.

Actually the road diversions procedures are better than the first year of F1. I remembered back in 2007 F1, bus drivers were confused by the road diversions. Even the bus company marshals don't know if the bus should stop at the bus stop. Traffic was chaotic. At least now the diverted routes have been standardized and bus drivers know the diverted routes for the past years.

But I think it can be done better, like installing more signboards to guide drivers how to navigate the area, which can be put as far away as 5km from the affected routes.

I think shopping areas also done their part to attract shoppers, like free parking with minimum spent on a receipt. What they can do is promote this with a wider marketing strategy and audience, in order to let more shoppers know that the place is still accessible with some roads open.

Landlords should also give some concessions on rental to retailers over that weekend too.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

Until yesterday I still saw a lot of Ang Mos shopping in Suntec City and Marina Square.

I got to agree on the returns of the event itself. And the returns are not just during the event but days before and after the event. The benefits, profits for the almost week long may probably be higher than some of the tourists sites in a month. And I also think that the govt is aware of its benefits of the event before committing further.

Actually the road diversions procedures are better than the first year of F1. I remembered back in 2007 F1, bus drivers were confused by the road diversions. Even the bus company marshals don't know if the bus should stop at the bus stop. Traffic was chaotic. At least now the diverted routes have been standardized and bus drivers know the diverted routes for the past years.

But I think it can be done better, like installing more signboards to guide drivers how to navigate the area, which can be put as far away as 5km from the affected routes.

I think shopping areas also done their part to attract shoppers, like free parking with minimum spent on a receipt. What they can do is promote this with a wider marketing strategy and audience, in order to let more shoppers know that the place is still accessible with some roads open.

Landlords should also give some concessions on rental to retailers over that weekend too.

Agreed n that's why I say our govt has obviously done their sums before committing a further 4 yrs. Govt's role is to facilitate promotion of tourism n ensure the infrastructure is in place for S'pore to organise this kind of events which attracts $ into the country via tourism which can be short term as well as longer term. It's like paying advertising fees to promote your wares which in this case is our country's attractions.

$ in of course benefits govt's pockets as well thru the various taxes but importantly retail, hotel, F&B n other industries benefit thru tourist spending. Admittedly, some businesses will suffer cos of the inconveniences caused n I agree that perhaps more can be done in this area like perhaps giving some form of rebates to landlords who in turn shld rebate affected leasees. The rebates can come from the extra taxes they charge the hotels. We have learnt along the 10yrs n I'm sure we will continue to learn n fine tune this.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 5

in addition to how the govt spends is how do the businesses in a whole benefit from F1

govt pour millions and millions (using tax payer money) into hosting F1

the last thing we want is only a "handful" of elites that benefited from it -- make all the money

unlike govt invest in public infrastructure or facilities that millions of residents benefit from it

the last thing we want to hear is govt going to raise water tax again to "raise water awareness" [mad]

While I agree that the event brings in great revenues to the country, how the govt spends it is another matter already.

Edited by Wt_know

YOG was mentioned because you said this.

fact remains that they won't be extending if there r no benefits to the country, not forgetting that shld they not be able to get a title sponsor; they'll have to foot this bill one way or another.

Not every week or month. 

It may be one off but I think proper evaluation of the cost and benefits still need to be done.

in addition to how the govt spends is how do the businesses in a whole benefit from F1

govt pour millions and millions (using tax payer money) into hosting F1

the last thing we want is only a "handful" of elites that benefited from it

unlike govt invest in public infrastructure or facilities that millions of residents benefit from it

Business do suffer but only for a few days. It is up to the landlords whether and how to compensate the retailers for these few days.

I get what you mean from the govt compensation to the retailers. Probably prorated corporate taxes for them during the month?

But what the govt earned, compared to the money compensate for the retailers only comprises of a small amount. How the govt going to use that billion earned from F1 is another question, an ethical one.

Unless the govt wants to build a dedicated track in places like Gardens by the Bay or Changi...